Tell me about the Indian Culture

Shooting Star - A shooting star
I am very much fascinated about the Indian culture and I was hoping I could get some knowledge by posting this discussion here. Is there something you can share about this matter? I would truly appreciate everything. The events, the customs, the traditions....just about anything.
@dbhattji (2506)
Our culture is more than 5,000 years old and is based on the Vedas (the fountain of all the knowledge). The pillars of our culture are a strong belief in God and the belief that not only all mankind but the whole creation is a part of GOD, so we are all inter-related, interdependent. Heavy stuff, but this makes life easy. As for the customs and festivals I will post later.
@ibsnet (1268)
Thanks for your interest in our Indian culture. Actually to depict a culture it would be a very lengthy one. If you can specify what special field you want to know I can give you all available information. You can just PM me or have chats in Yahoo. If you want my yahoo ID i can provide you. Just have a PM.
@meatiitr (364)
being an Indian, i can give you every detail u want about the Indian culture.. Its a diverse culture spread across the length and breadth of the large nation with people from different caste,creed and color sharing common feelings and values. people here are very hospitable and treat guests as God,which is clearly mentioned in our tradition.we believe in living amicably and try not to resort to any sort of fight or anything.that's the reason people from 1000s of religious and ethical beliefs live together and celebrate common festivals. If u wanna know anything more,just be more specific and tell me
@miryam (6507)
yes a indian culture affascinete, but i know a few..sorry myury
@webeishere (36351)
Now the question to you is which Indian? The country India or the American Native Indians? HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
The Indians from India itself grandpa. Sorry I uploaded the wrong photo. It was supposed to be for my other discussion. LOL.
@hendraktp (150)
Culture in India is estate of Arya.
@JaySapani (257)
I Am Very Much Delighted Reading The Response Of Other Members Regarding The Culture Of Our Country India. And It Also Makes You Fell Good Seeing That Our Fellow My Lotters From Other Countries Are Interested In Knowing Our Culture.Any One Who Wants To Know More About India And Its Culture Can Freely Add Me As Friend And Will Be Delighted To Help Them And Solve All Their Doubts And Queries For India.
@Willowlady (10665)
What kind of Indian. Native American ones or the ones from India? I am of the first peoples of this land. Sioux and Apache. Not big in the the peoples numbers of this nation but still around. If you speak of the ones from India then I am unable to help you since I too am learning about them. Slowly I can find out what they are like and how they live. I will watch and see how this discussion turns out.
@hollowheart (1572)
Hi Inded it gives me a great feeling to see you so interested in th indian culture. Indeed there is a lot to say. LET ME TRY. Well lets start withthe people. tHEY R REAL GOOD PEOPLE, OFFCOURSE AS USUAL AS ANY OTHE R PERSON IN ANY OHER PART OF THE WORLD, UT OFFCOURSE THE SENTIMENS, EMOTIONS ARE PROBABLY MUCH MORE. The clothings are worth being seen. If traditional dresses are to be worn then just to show you a glance of the entire country could take up to 2 hours as a fashion show. There are numerous types of dresses right from the headgear to the foot. Even a lot of jeweller is used to litterally cver the whole body. Well only for security reasons people dont wear like that. There are a lot of langyages and dialects for each. Indeed most of the ountry will show you the literature and cultural heritage. Tha counts specially for bengal. Let me elaborate on the bengali culture as I am a bengali. This is the traditions of the east of India. The place where the british had come and set up their territory and ruled us. Since then all the ig literatures have also been seen in bengal. People like Sarat Chandra, Bankim Cahndra, Ravindranath tagore, are the most famous in literature, people like subhash chandra bose, bipin behari, bijoy, badal and dinesh as very famous freedom fighters, and offcourse social legends like Mother teressa are all from Bengal. Lot of songs, damce and literature bind the spirits of bengal and offcourse a lot of royal nature is also found there. The most famous food is the fish prepartions and sweets make of milk.In India we call it kheer. The very typical Indian dress for women is Saree and each place has a traditional way of wearing iit to differenciate between the states they come from. The men wear dhuti and panjabi. This is again th typical bengali wear and is a must for the groom durinfg marriage. The language is bangla and is a very sweet language and also very easy to learn. Well if you like to know mor and even see picyures of all these things, people and cultural heritage. I would need your mail ID and i will send he full document to you.
India is a place of varied cultures, traditions, languages, customs, festivals, cuisines, dressing styles, folk art, dances, songs etc etc...... These are just to name a few. I cannot give the exact statistics of the country but yes, I can very well describe in detail the features of our wonderful country. India scales a good amount of length and breadth right from the hilltops of Himalayas to the sea shores of Kanyakumari. Arunachal Pradesh with Assam is on the east and Gujarat on the west. There are as many languages spoken as the different type people living in India. Hindi is the official and standard language spoken throughout the country although there are numerous languages. The food is different in different parts of India. In the northern states its more of parathas and thalis with a lot of spicy pickles. Coming down to Mumbai(Bombay) that is on the west which has a sea shore the chats and fast foods are very common on the shores. Especially, chats like pav bhaji, vada pav, pani puri, shev puri, etc...are liked by almost everyone throughout India. I don't have much idea about the eastern cuisine but yes they the world class growers of tea, coffee which is exported throughout the world. Coming down to Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu in South India the cuisine is much different than the other states. Its much of a rice-made which is served with sambar, saar(curry), bhaji or palle, chutney etc. Especially in Karnataka the break-fast a wide variety with dishes like dosa, idli, upma, chow-chow bhath(funny name given to a combination of two dishes) etc. The dressing is also completely different from states to states if we take the folk culture. There are numerous festivals and celebrations throughout the country for one or the other reason. The festivals are numerous because there are numerous religions in India. No religion is objected of the rights of preaching their religion and celebrating their festivals. The states are formulated on the basis of the type of people staying there but overall the people of every religion are spread across the whole country. India is a peninsula with Arabian Sea on the west, Indian Ocean on the south and Bay of Bengal on the east. On the coast of Kanyakumari the union of three different waters can be seen clearly from one of the hills present there( I don't remember the name). The national flag is of 3 colours(actually 4) but 4th not so significant. Horizontal strips of Saffron, White and Green with a wheel of 24 spokes in the middle of White strip. The national flower is lotus, national bird-peacock, national animal-tiger, national anthem-Jana Gana Mana, etc..... India is second highest in population and 7th highest in area. There are 3 major defence system which are army, navy and air-force along with paramilitary forces, coast guards etc. The list is endless and I cannot state everything as my knowledge is limited. But I hope I have given a good amount of information about INDIA.
@asmurthy (2462)
India with a past, that dates as far back as five thousand years or more has always been rich in cultural traditions. North to south, east to west the dances, the music, cuisine, the festivities, the crafts, the language and the customs of this fascinating land are as diverse as ever, however Indian culture exhibits an eternal harmony of spirit.