Stem Cell Research Propaganda.

@ParaTed2k (22980)
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
There is research going on with 2 kinds of Stem Cells, Adult and Embryonic. Most coverage of Stem Cell research lumps them together as if they were the same thing. They aren't the same, and Adult stem cells are much more productive for research than embryonic. In fact, embryonic stem cell research has yet to prove they are beneficial at all. On the other hand, adult stem cell research has already proven itself with over 30 treatments for human illness and trauma. It is a total waste of time, money and resources to continue with embryonic stem cells. Adult stem cells can already do everything that researchers hope will one day be done with embryonic stem cells. Until recently, there was hope for embryonic stem cell research because it was thought that there were more things that could be developed with them. However, adult stem cell researchers have changed all that. There is NO reason to continue funding ANY research with embryonic stem cells. 20 years of research with them has produced NOTHING in the way of treatment. All stem cell funding and research should go to adult stem cells, and the media and propagandists need to quit acting as if they are the same.
I'm glad you brought this subject up. I've always wondered what all the fuss was about. I've always wondered why more people don't read and think? What am I talking about? The limits on stem cell research are only on public funded stem cell research. That is, the government can not spend money on it. Any non government entity is free to do so. They probably are. There is too much money potentially involved for there not to be private research going on. So, why the ban on government funded stem cell research? Any government funded research that leads to a patentable result is owned by the people since they through their government paid for it. Now, if you were a private researcher, wouldn't you want the government to quit funding stem cell research? What if the government researchers made that big discovery before you? You'd be out that time and money! What to do? Lobby the government to outlaw stem cell research!
"Lobby the government to outlaw stem cell research!" Should read, "Lobby the government to outlaw government funded stem cell research!"
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Good point, there is no Ban on Stem Cell research. I just want to add that the ban on federal government stem cell research only applies to Embryonic Stem cells only. There is a lot of funding for Adult Stem cell research.
Thanks, for the clarification. Once I detected this was another issue with deceit and misdirection heavily involved in most explanations, I sort of tuned out. Hence, I am not as accurately informed as I should be.
@suspenseful (40314)
You are right. All we hear in the media is about some one with Parkinsons's or Ms wishing more embryos be sacrificed in the name of research. Yet when one someone mentions that adult stem cells cured or alleviated a medical problem, it is just a small article. I think the push for embryo stem research is by those who are pro=abortion to give them an excuse why they are for the killing of the unborn. We should stop all embryo stem research before the population sinks below replacement values and for moral grounds as well. It is wrong to kill the unborn so someone may have few more years. Adult stem cells do a better job with no risk of cancer or fast growing tumors.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
True, and the lie is, there is no evidence to show that Embryonic Stem Cell research will EVER develop a treatment for ANY disease. However, Adult Stem Cells are already being used for treatments. Yes, it's the pro-abortion on demand crowd fuelling the propaganda.
@estherlou (5017)
I had already heard this several years ago. I agree...it makes me mad that the liberal media coverage we have in this country pushes the embryonic stem cell research issue constantly and that anything else is a waste of time. It has gotten so bad that people actually believe there is nothing else and wonder why we are against it! ARGH! Thanks again for the info and the update. Maybe some will see this for the 1st time.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Exactly, the press feeds the lie about embryonic stem cell research. They count on ignorance to keep the gravy train rolling.
@gewcew23 (8011)
Embryonic stem cells is a slippery slope for the pro-abortion crowd. Because if we say that the embryo has rights then the next step would be that the unborn baby has rights to live also. This is the reason why that they want federal funded research for embryonic stem cells. It doesn't matter that embryonic stem cells don't and will not have the power to cure anything. They must do research on them to prevent them from being recognized as a living being. The reason why they want federal funding for this is because no private company would ever waste money on research on the embryonic stem cells because there is no profit. The only way to make money in research is to actually come up with something that works. That is why private companies spend out of their own pockets to do research on adult stem cells. WHY? Because adult stem cells are the only ones proven to work. Diseases like diabetes have been shown to be reversed by using adult stem cells. Imagine the profits that could be made from a company that was on the fore front of adult stem cell research. The true full in this game is the federal government, and any tax payer that elects a politican that would sign a bill for embryonic stem cell research. It is a waste of money.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
True, there are no scientific reasons to back Embryonic Stem Cell research, only political ones... and the pro abortion on demand crowd are at the forefront on this one.
@Debs_place (10524)
My understanding on embryonic stem cell research is that there is a) limited funding for research and b) limited stems cells to work with. As a result, the research may have limited what could have been found. I think that both ways should be continued. You never know what or when something maybe found. I have a hard time with discontinuing research, since it may take multiple methodologies and other developments to make it fruitful.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Actually, there are no laws limiting either research or private funding of stem cell research. Anyone is free to donate as much money as they'd like to both Adult and Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Federal funding for embyronic stem cell research is limited to 60 lines. Even the most optimistic researchers say that we are at least 10 years from developing any treatments for disease with embryonic stem cells. On the other hand, Adult stem cells research has already developed more than 30 treatments for disease. Up til recently it was thought that there were things that could be done with embryonic stem cells that couldn't be done with adult. That hurdle has been overcome. At this point, there really is no reason to continue wasting time, resources or money on embryonic stem cell research. It is something like insisting that vacuum tube radios will someday be proven to be better than solid state radios, so we should keep funding vacuum tubes even beyond the point of being obsolete. There are political reasons to continue the propaganda surrounding embryonic stem cell research... but if you notice, the propaganda never separates embryonic from adult. That is telling in itself.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
correction.. 72 lines.
@bobmnu (8160)
One report I read said that only about 1/2 of the approved embronic stem cess lines that are covered under the federal funding are being used.
@cyntrow (8524)
I'd appreciate a link or a study that tells me that embryonic stem cells are not worth the time so that I can see for myself. It's always been my take that the embryos are going to be destroyed, period. Invetro parents are not going to donate the embryos to anyone, so why not use the embryos for research and possible cures. I am pro choice, but that's neither here nor there in this debate. Let me know what info you have. Thanks a bunch.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196118,00.html There's a start.. JunkScience.com is a pretty good website for getting through the politics of science.
@cyntrow (8524)
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
@bobmnu (8160)
Michael J. Fox has a foundation that donates to research to find a cure for Parkinson. In 2006 he was campaining for the Democratics and pushing Embronic Stem Cell Funding. His foundation was investing in Adult Stem Cell research. Federal Funding can be used for Embronic Stem Cell Research but it is limited to the 72 existing lines of embronic stem cells which less that half are being used. I read some where that researcher will use Federal money to a certain point and when a study shows promis will switch over to private funds to collect the royalities and hold the patent on it and avoid the government ownership.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
That was the most pathetic thing about the Michael J. Fox thing... I don't mind that he was using his condition to promote his cause, that's his right... but he was also knowingly perpetuating the propaganda... even while his own foundation was investing in the treatments that really could help him someday. Hello, McFly!!! ;~D
I am one of the people whom would benifit from the research done with stem cells. I have Multiple Sclerosis. I indeed agree with you that if the adult stems cells work use em...but to not look at other options such as embryonic research also, could potentially leave out a huge breakthru in disease treatment options. I think we need to look to the rainforests for some answers. There are alot of undiscovered plants and animals right there in nature that need to be explored also. I am not a fan of messing with God to cure disease...but I think we are put here to figure it all out without breaking the rules set forth by moral factors. It is hard for someone with a terrible disease to not think of the immoral ways...it is a desperite feeling.
@ParaTed2k (22980)
• Sheboygan, Wisconsin
I realize how much you want a cure to be found. I want a cure to be found also. That is why I'm against wasting research time, money and assets on Embryonic stem cell "research". Nothing can be done with embryonic stem cells that can't be done with adult stem cells. On the other hand, much can be done with Adult stem cells. There has never been a treatment found using embryonic stem cells. They might as well be researching how sheep's bladders could be employed to prevent earthquakes. It's simple. Embryonic Stem Cell research is purely political. Adult Stem Cell research is mostly scientific. I say "mostly" because no research is without its politics.
@skinnychick (6906)
I would look again at cell make ups of both types of cells and you will see these cells are completely different. The cells are being investigated for different purposes and offer different perspectives...Look it up.