Have you ever wanted to do this?

@breepeace (3024)
I remember a few years ago, some coworkers and I were talking about our job, which we all hated, and how we all wanted to get out. I didn't understand it at the time, but one of my male coworkers said he wanted to leave and go get a job with Ikea so he wouldn't have the responsibility and stress our current job entailed (trust me, it was a horrible, morally draining job). I understand now. I have a boring, un-stimulating job where most days I count the minutes until I can leave, and I really, really want to go get a part-time job with Blockbuster so I don't have any responsibility and can get free rentals. Has anyone else ever felt like this before?
I've felt like that before, many times. I worked as a nursing assistant for many years. Unfortunately, most people in the nursing careers are under-appreciated and overworked. Many, many times I would get fed up and end up at a job clerking, or cleaning, or stocking. I never lasted there very long. It didn't work for me because not enough brain power or compassion was needed. I always ended up back at a nursing assistant job.
I am sure you should go with your gut feeling. You can never go wrong with trusting yourself. We all at some time or another want a better position in life. We can't get it if we don't try. Good luck to you
@filmbuff (2909)
I've been where you are and sadly will be there again soon enough. The thing that we do to make a living, but unfortunetly we do have to make a living. The problem with taking a job at blockbuster is that there is responsibility invovled in there too, and it's another draining job. Which is true for most jobs where you deal with the public face to fact like that. Besides, the pay is crappy. Being able to watch movies months before they are released on DVD is nice. I used to work at a video store and became assistant manager before leaving, so I understand that job too. The hardest part for me has been finding a job that I don't morally object too. So many places that I have worked are just blatantly taking advantage of someone. My bank account would be much better off if I just didn't care, but I do.
@breepeace (3024)
*LOL* I don't want to work there full time. I've spent the last 7 years of my life working customer service, and I'm just getting into administrative instead, but I figured if I need to take a part-time job, I might as well take one with perks like free movies instead of a stupid 10% discount at a clothing store.
@filmbuff (2909)
Good point. Free movies are a nice perk. Laughing at the folks who rent the stupid movies behind their backs is another.
@jzerbini (97)
I have felt like this, truth is the grass is always greener on the other side. I know I am making decent money where I am and wouldn't get a part time job just because it doesn't pay the bills. I work to make my away from work life better. If it could be good without work then I wouldn't work at all. In my opinion your best bet is to keep pushing ahead and at the same time look for another job that you can enjoy and get similar pay.
@breepeace (3024)
I've already quit my job. If you're interested why, look back about a week to see a full description of my job that I posted. :) It's awful -- if 3/4 of the staff are actively looking for work elsewhere, that should tell you something. I've also developed a very serious stress disorder since working there. My time is more valuable to me than to get sick working a job that I hate just to make ends meet.
I been in a similar situation. And I know that sometimes you have to keep working at a job that you hate to pay the bills but if you have a choice then you should get out. All of us have a limited number of years in this life and why would you want to waste time doing something that you hate?
@LittleMel (14036)
I think the majority has. Only very few people I know like their jobs or not bothered as long as they got paid. I spent years feeling bad for wanting to earn money by doing what I like to do. Last year I tossed that feeling and left my job. The job itself was OK, but the environment and politic were far from stimulating, so I told myself this has to end and I ended it. I earn a lot lesser now having my own shop, but this is what I want to do and I will see to it until the day I want to do something else.
Yes, I have had many jobs..salesman, delivery man, security guard, district manager for salesman, clerk in hardware store, worked in a gas station, bartender, and spent 28 years working in Ford Motor and now retired. All jobs can get boring but the job that you have the least supervision and you have control over your job..when to start..when you can take your breaks--pride in your job..achieving goals..getting some overtime so you can make more money...good to be free of whinning co workers who only bring you down.. I always thought I would like to work as an usher in a theater..free movies? free Popcorn? lol..well, maybe someday but right now I do nothing but swim at the Y and try to keep out of my wife's way..lol
@suspenseful (40314)
I used to be a telemarketer and I wish I could do something else, like be a world famous author, ala Agatha Christie or Mary Higgins Clarke signing books at Coles and getting my picture taken and some movie director wanting to use my novel for his next blockbuster movie. I thought if I stayed doing it too much longer, my brain would turn to mush and besides my boss didn't pay me that much. That was when we were in that recession.