If others can, why can't I?

I always hear this cliche since I was in elementary. Well, it has contributed a lot to what I am now. I remember, I used to be a very timid person. Having no confidence in anybody including myself. I used to think then that I am good for nothing. Until I was asked by my adviser to join the Math Contest. I was hesitant but she, together my classmates then, encouraged me. After deciding to join, I encouraged myself with the above words. I made it. I got the first place. Since then, many success came into my life. I still keep these words in my mind up to now. I was able to do many successful things because I saw that if other people can, I can too, if only I will be brave enough to face life's challenges.
yay, good for you! that's great that you realize that if others can do it, then you are able to do it too! and hopefully way much better hehe :) all we need is a little bit of self confidence and self esteem to get us started and we should all believe in ourselves that we can do it and we will succeed. good luck and all the best! ;)
@jcvernz (477)
I do agree with you hersmarter. I was able to succeed in life because of this cliche also. Though i have to sacrifice other things like my first job, ive been there for 8 years but i have to sacrifice a bit and continue my college education and be a working scholar of one of the universities in the city and i felt no regret because "If others can, why can't I". I have finished my college education last October 2003 and happy to have this achievement in life.This is a treasure that i will be kept for lifetime.
@pradoz (404)
There is a similar statement....that with the help of god u r strong enough to do anything...don't compare urself with others excessively...it will always lead to dissapointment
@williamjisir (22900)
Cool topic. If others can, why can't I? I am not an exception. I can do it as well if others can. I have to say that confidence is the first and major factor to be yourself and successful if you have put your heart into it. I am glad that you have changed a lot ever since you got encouragemet from your friends and classmates and the others.
it/s all in the mind. all of us has the strenght and capabilities to do things becuase of some factor we become limited and stagnant... i often come to this but sometime not but always i think i cant do i because what other may say about me. we can do it. SO LETS DO IT!!!!
@Ravenladyj (22936)
I used to say those words to myself too BUT it was in a negative sense..thats what got me into much trouble in my younger yrs LOL....However I think its fabulous when ppl put positive thoughts, affirmations into play in their lives on a positive level....I do to and its a great and beneficial habit IMO to get into ;-D and good for you btw! fabulous that you changed your outlook..bravo! :-D
@redlime (94)
I am a shy-type person. I don't usually expose myself or my ability. Yet I am very compitative and I'm jelous if a friend of mine got the thing I wanted.
@maryannemax (12170)
• Sweden
well, i guess you should try and get out from the shy shell of yours. it will take time but soon, you'll be able to mingle with people and not be that shy anymore. you don't need to be jealous when people get some things you want. you just have to do what you can to get them.. anne
@lyndee22 (1211)
I hold up into this words whenever I cross on challenges. No matter how hard it is if you have encouragement and determination in pursuing any goals in life, your always end up victorious.
@jcvernz (477)
I do agree with you lyndee. I've been able to succeed in life because of this cliche also. Im not afraid to take the risk and truly now i was so grateful because im made it all the way.Yah, it takes a lot of encouragement and determination if youd like to aim for something in your life.Glad i've been able to take the courage and determined to succeed in life inspite of ups and down i was able to encounter.
@Lydia1901 (16353)
I think that is a good one to encourage yourself to do something sometimes. It works for me some of the times.
@sigma77 (5385)
That is a good way to think for yourself. I might also add, that when others can't, maybe I can. Meaning that you could also do things that others might not have accomplished yet. Depends on what you believe about yourself and the world.
@rakhii (1302)
That's perfectly true! Only if we believe in ourself, and think that we can do it, we are able to do. We should learn to face the challenges, even if we fail, we should learn from our failure. Faliure is the best teacher, coz that teaches you about the fault that will take you to the failure and avoiding it to the success.
@Sushicook (691)
• Sweden
Those words have helped me many times as well. Sometimes we fear that we will fail, even when it's something we are very good at. Remembering that others have done it before, and will do it again, makes the task less dramatic and easier to accomplish.
@ryanphil01 (4185)
You have shown exactly in yourself the good values of having positive outlook in life and building self-confidence. Just as long as you have the focus and determination to carry things through you, you will never fail. And what’s even better is that the things you’ll do will build success – after all, your confidence will come from real, solid achievement. No-one can take this away from you!
@magica (3710)
• Bulgaria
The other point of view is when the people arround you use this phrase to compare you with the others. Usually they hope that this comparison will be stimulating and motivating for you to success. And sometimes it helps. But for me specially it`s discouraging and depressing. I am not the others, i am unique. And there are many other things what i can do better them!
@maryannemax (12170)
• Sweden
i have heard the saying many times already. and i have adapted it in my life since i was a kid. if others can, why can't i? i know that i can do stuffs others can, too. but i know that there are limitations as well. they are who they are and i am who i am. there are stuffs i can do that they can't and vice versa. and that's acceptance. all i do is to give my best and be the best i can in everything. if i won't end up being successful in all aspects like others do, i just accept the fact that i can't have everything... anne
@missweety (628)
• Latvia
for me the words i can do it as well don't work. I have a target in my head, i am doing everything to reach it, i am trying to do my best, however i am a very lazy person..... usually i was a person to dedicate everyone around me - my friends, but am not strong about it.....so very soon i give it up, simply because others put me down- but somehow after a time i discover myself going towards the same target just using other way.....
@mummymo (23707)
Good for you my friend - I am glad you decided to try! I was never like that as a child but funnily enough as an adult I started to lack confidence - now I push myselt to have courage for the sake of my children! I always encporage my children by telling them they don't have to be best they just have to try to be as good as they can! xxxx
@lexus54 (3576)
It all has to do with self-confidence. Like leadership, this doesn't come naturally to people. Some people may have in-born qualities that will let them exhibit this trait more readily, but by-and-large, self-confidence can be nurtured. It is about knowing yourself and your abilities, and what you can achieve. When people get more exposure and discover for themselves that they actually can achieve something, their level of self-confidence will be given a boost. I guess it is what you have experienced in your case. Good for you.
@golfproo (1841)
That is a very good life motto to go by. I too have always been timid and shy in life. However, when you approach situations from the perspective of being able to do anything...you start to overcome the obstacles that shyness brings. To say "if they can do it...so can I" is a motivator that can lead to many successes. Good for you! cheers,
@derek_a (10897)
Yes, that is so true. In nature, we all have the same potential. And where there may be a disability (like blindness) other abilities tend to compensate. I used to think I was rubbish at math too, but our math teacher sat down and talked to me because I was falling behind and told me that I just needed to recognise that my brain would work just a good as anybody else's and it did..