MyLotters, Hotel near Beach or OceanFront Resort?

Vacation of a Lifetime??? - MyLotters, hotel near beach or oceanfront resort? Which would you rather stay in when on vacation?
When on vacation, which would you rather stay in, and why? A hotel near the beach (say within 1 mile), or an oceanfront 5-star resort right on the beach with lots of amenities? http://www.westgateresorts.com/or/index.cfm?acct=2800536628&sales=&language=en
@sunshine4 (8706)
That is so funny that you put a photo of westgate resorts because I own a timeshare there! I would definitely go for the resort on the beach. It is a lot more expensive, but it is worth it when you have a family to be able to cook right at the resort. It is also great to be able to walk to the resort to grab something or to run back for lunch.
Yes, that is interesting that we both have toured, visited, and/or purchased oceanfront property from WestGate results.
@cher913 (25859)
i am a self confessed beach bum, so i would need to be living or staying ocean front. i am so much of a beach bum that i am planning to move near to the beach (i live in canada) winter and summer, i dont care...ahhhhhh the surf, the sounds, the smells.......ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
@mummymo (23707)
Well If I had the money I would love to try the beach front resort for the experience! I just like to go somewhere with plenty for the kids to do and where I can relax and have fun! xxx
@makingpots (11916)
If money were no issue I would choose the 5-star everytime. But it is for us so we usually choose a hotel near the beach. My husband can't justify spending the extra on a resort when we usually spend so much time away from where we are staying. We are usually very active on vacations, hiking, site seeing, snorkeling, visiting art studios, etc... so we pay less and go to the beach on our own.
@lynboobsy11 (11343)
I choose a 5-star resort right on the beach, coz I eally love beachese. Every summer we intend to go for a vacation in a resort me and my friends we have pot lock so that we can afford to be in a resort. It's fun playing on the sand beneath the sun and it's very enjoying swimming.
@lols189 (4797)
i would rather stay in a hotel near the beach as i think it is much nice scenery
Perhaps, as long as you have a window view of the oceanfront. To me that makes all the difference in the world.
@Marie2473 (8516)
• Sweden
It looks beautiful but I would be scared to live right on the beach after what happened in thailand a few years back. If there is a tsunai, you stand more of a chanse if you are a mile away =) I guess I am fussy about it since it is not likely to hppen again ina near future!
Really good observation that you would be safer farther away from the beach. I know those people in the Indian Ocean or wherever that suffered through that big earthquake which resulted in the huge, devastating tsunami wished they were further inland!
@suspenseful (40312)
I would stay at the hotel near the beach. We could not afford the oceanfront 5-star resort unless someone was paying for the trip, i.e. we had won it. More than likely, I would be staying at the Country Inn or with our relatives. I don't like spending that much money.
We stayed at Myrtle Beach oceanfront resort for 5 days for free a couple of weeks ago. We spend $500 to $1000 per trip normally, but last year we bought a timeshare and we only spent $400 for gas, food, and entertainment. I'd rather own, than rent hotel.
@aprilgrl (4460)
I have never been to the beach or seen the ocean. My hubby promised me that he will take me to see it and he better since our 25th anniversary is coming up next month.(Aug 7th)
@flpoolbum (2972)
Happy anniversary! I hope that he doesn't disappoint you. Enjoy your trip. Drop by and come see us in on the Gulf Coast of Florida sometime! Sand Key Beach in the Sand Key area of Clearwater is my favorite beach. Clearwater Beach is nice, too.
I luv camp site more then resorts or hotel. I always bring together my family trekking and mountaineering for our family vacations usually I take them to forest or mountain for our family vacations. I and my wife experinced treks to everest Base Camp, Nepal and mount sibayak, Indonesia. I've already summit to mount Kinabalu, Malaysia - the highiest mountain in South East Asia for 7th time, but my wife summit more then me, hehehe she done it for 10th time. We enjoy trekking and mountaineering and got good health for thats.
@DanaMark (807)
I think I would like to stay right on the beach, mainly because the view would be fabulous. Being a mile away would greatly affect the scenic view of the ocean.
@kareng (31614)
I would prefer the resort! There would be more to do and you would be right on the beach to enjoy it first thing in the morning, during the day or a late night walk on the beach! You would also have to consider the comfort factor. The room should be better (5 star) and everything you need at the resort. I would expect more ammenities where at the hotel off the beach, you would have to go elsewhere to find everything--and also get tired of eating the same food. Hotel would probably only have one restaurant--if any. Have fun on your vacation!
@Shaun72 (15965)
• Palatka, Florida
I would rather stay in a hotel near a beach. It seems like it would be to crowded to stay at the other one on the beach.
I would choose a hotel which is one mile from the beach. The price or rent is cheaper, and if I want to go to the beach I can always drive my car. It's not that far. And I can save the money to buy other things, such as souvenirs and food.
@flpoolbum (2972)
Well, the second one sounds nicer, but it also sounds very expensive. When I do travel, I use the coupon book that can be found at state welcome centers and truck stops. Most of the time, you can get pretty good deals. I should also add that while I can afford 5-star hotels on the beach, I can go to the beach whenever I want. I live on the Gulf Coast in Florida, just about a hour away from Clearwater Beach. I don't go to the beach that much anymore since we got a house with a pool.
@KrisNY (7591)
Right on the beach- with lots and lots of things to do- and people to wait on me- fan me off- feed me strawberries- etc. : ) No really I love the beach and I'd choose to stay right on the beach- with a balcony overlooking the beach and ocean!
@jahvo6 (623)
• Peru
i´d rather stay at an oceanfront hotel with everything included if I don´t live close to the beach the view is an excellent plus.
I am pretty spoiled and I much perfer a hotel on the ocean rather then even a little bit away. I love being able to hear the ocean at night and be the first thing I see when I get up in the morning.
@KarenO52 (2951)
I would much rather stay in an oceanfront 5-star resort right on the beach with lots of amenities, but I usually stay at something nearby, something clean but cheap with few amenities. Usually the price difference is enough that I can use the savings for gas money or spend more on better restaurants. I usually don't spend that much time in my room anyway. Someday I'll try one of the more expensive places on the beach, but so far, I've had good experiences with the lesser properties.
@ravinskye (8242)
I would love to stay at a hotel right on the beach. Then you could just pop out on the beach whenever you wanted to. and the view from your hotel room windows would be awesome.