People and Suicide Attempts

I do have a friend who is somewhat suicidal. Believe it or not, she attempted to take her own life 4 times. She did it by trying to overdose herself with sleeping pills. Gladly, she survived. I was so worried about her and I was afraid of the fact that if she has done it 4 times, she might try it again in the future. I want to know from you, why do you think people commit suicide?
@alnilam (969)
there is no generally reason. each individual has its own trigger for a act such as this. for some it is fear (pregnancy, fear from parents,...), some of them do it because they see no other exit (if they messed something up), some of them just lose the will of life or think that world will be better off without them. but i can't claim this for 100% because we can not know what is going on in their heads since we did not experienced it (gladly).
But people who HAVE experienced it CAN tell you what a lot of reasons are...and you are right in a lot of ways.
@alnilam (969)
yes i agree that they can tell you, i just say i cant (and people without experience). but telling is different than feeling i guess, you can not describe exactly how you felt when wanting to do it in a way that person who listens will exactly understand you, i guess.
Well, there is no way to truly understand it unless you have felt it yourself. Those who never feel it are extremely lucky...
@Calais (10899)
I think that they are gutless, taking the easy way out, being selfish and not thinking about the ones around them...There is always someone out there that is worse off than yourself...
@mummymo (23707)
Calais honey I can sort of understand where you are coming from but I don't think it is down to being gutless - in fact I know it isn't! It has been years since my almost successful attempt and I am not trying to make excuses but when clinical depression is an issue it is very hard to fight against! In my case a chemical imbalance means I will always be susceptible to clinical depression and when it bites hard it is next to impossible to deal with. I struggle to walk or talk when it gets too bad as the chemical in my brain is so low that my brain canoot function properly and runs too slowly for my bodys needs! xxx
@Calais (10899)
I just think, that why do they think that there is no way out of the situation...There is always someone there that can help...no matter how bad it gets..
she must be really depressed. These people are so lonely and i advice you to be with her or once a week go out with her. It might change her views regarding life. Sometimes they views life as hard as a rock,and they are very emotional. Until now they have no answers to the questions knocking on their mind.They have many problems unresolved and for them the only solution is to end their lives which is wrong. You have to make her happy somehow, tell something inspiring and be always positive when you are with her. I hope she will change, it is not too late.
Believe it or not, I had been with her for after the first 4 attempts. I was just thinking, when is this gonna stop. Im getting tired of the whole situation.
@lilaclady (28236)
Some people say it is a cry for help but I think when some people get so low and they just can't see a light at the end of the tunnel they can't see any reason to go on, sometimes I think people just can't take it anymore, I think most of us get to a state like that, there is a saying that people don't need a reason to kill them selves but they do need a reason to live...
@Ravenladyj (22936)
Being a repeat attempter myself...I would say that yes if she doesnt get help she WILL try it again and chances of one of those times being THE ONE that does the job is very high....My last planned attempt, IF I'd NOT told my husband my intentions during a moment of lucidity, I would have succeeded without a doubt...After repeat failed attempts you kinda get the hang of what will and wont work ya know....I would suggest thta she seek professional help for whatever issues or trauma has brought her to the the point of trying to kill herself more than once
Thank you. I am glad that you hadnt succeeded in those attempts or else we wont be having any friend like you here.
@Gwapako_28 (2142)
I forgot to tell you,if she is very close to you,then give time to talk with her heart to heart and ask her what is her problem that lead her to end her life...You need to give her your 2 ears and listen to her agony...In that case, it will help her to lessen the pain she is dealing with..Tell her to be brave and ask her if its okay to call her "A LOSER"...Challenge her,but dont forget to comfort her in any means you can...Okay???
@sarry81 (84)
This kind of people need to be remind that her life is not own by her. May be there are more people will need her in the future. It is not the way to solve the problem. Even though she not with us anymore but the problem is stil there may be will effecting the other person. Problem is to be solve and cannot to be destroyed.
@Cassy1976 (796)
sometimes for some people life can get that little bit too hard and sometimes no matter how much people say that you can tell them all about it, it can be really hard to talk to anyone, even your best friend! Sometimes the people you love the most can turn their backs on you and you feel like you have no where else to turn..... be there for your friend and if you think that there is something wrong dont let her be on her own! RIng her all the time to make sure that she is not feeling lonely and find someone that she can talk to, find her a councellor or something, get her the help that she needs
@butterfly39 (3907)
I think of too much depression.
@fazelath (1174)
it is the loneliness at that time,and the weakest moment,they should not be left alone,and keep them busy,this people cant face the harsh world and try to escape the harsh situations of life
@Lydia1901 (16353)
Speaking from experience it has something to do with not knowing exactly how to handle your life somehow. It is when things are a little bit too much for you to do anything about. But, the only way I got over it is telling myself there was no need to feel that way and find something that I do enjoy to distract me from that. Happiness is the antidote too. If someone is happy they won't think twice about taking their own lives. I think your friend needs to find something that makes her happy before it is too late for her.
@r0ck_r0ck (1953)
depersion, fustration there cld b many reasons for dat. i consider them the most stupidest person on earth.
@TerryZ (22083)
I feel no pity for these type of people. I think they are really selfish people. They are thinking ways too much about themselves. I could never do such a thing. I want to live forever. And besides I would have the guts to kill myself. No matter how bad your life is you can always make it better. You just have to be a strong person. I guess these people are just weak people.
@Willowlady (10666)
There are some that cannot seem to make it in this world. They experience pain and other things just differently. The best you can do is not judge her and not be too guarded around her. Offer to be there for her and then it is up to her to reach out. After 4 times it might be a way to cry for help. Sad but true. I hope that life can treat her kinder in her eyes and that she can become a balanced and fun loving person. Good luck in caring for this individual.
@healer (1783)
Weak minds are prone to sucide, people get depressed and for some its too hard to take it. Depression is a serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think and how you act. Depression is never normal and always produces needless suffering. With proper diagnosis and treatment, the vast majority of people with depression will overcome it.
I almost did it once, rather not go on with the details... It's attempted because the idea of eternal peace just sounds so alluring when you feel like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders.
People try to kill themselves because of the pain they feel with life. They become so focused on the pain that they believe there is no way out for them, and they just want it to stop. If she has tried four times to kill herself, she needs to get some counseling and find out why she feels so hopeless.
@sunshinecup (7880)
They are done with living and they can't handle the pain they are feeling.
@tuffy999 (794)
i believe it's emotional embalance. ask your friend to seek professional help. attmpting it once is bad but 4 times is serious.