Do You Dry Flowers??

I Dry Flowers my sons or husband have given me for things like mothers day, birthday, east or just because. I usually wait for them to dry out on there own then I spray them with hair spray and hang them upside down. Once there dried i place them on a shelf. Do you dry flowers? If so how do you do it?
@fab315 (1242)
HellO! Before, I used to dry flowers by inserting them in books 'til it's dried up and just leave them there. I actually had a big book full of dried flowers. NOw, I only dry the petals. When the petals starts falling off i'll pick them and keep them safe and wrapped in the wrapper that the flowers came with. And I only dry the flowers given to me in special occasions. I haven't tried spraying the flowers with a hair spray, maybe I should try your process. Thanks for your thoughts! take care. ciao! :D
Its a very easy thing to do. Just allow the flower to dry out of water. In a day or so hold and spray with hair spray untill covered. Hand upside down to dry. Very easy and it keeps the petals attatched.
@fab315 (1242)
HellO! It sounds easy. Thanks a lot for the tip! ciao! tchel
@fab315 (1242)
Hello! Yeey! BR for me..*wehehe* thanks a lot...big time! mwahugs! ciao! =)
@secretbear (19463)
I did that only once. when I was in highschool, my first love gave me a rose during our prom, it was also the night I said "yes" to him. LOL it was very memorable and I wanted to preserve something to remind me of the experience. I put the rose inside the pages of one of my nicely covered schoolbook which is still alive as of today and the rose is really so thin and dry. it brings bittersweet memories of highschool life an of my puppy love. ^__^
Awwww...thats sweet. Its good to look back and remeber the good times!
@3lilangels (4639)
i love to dry out my flowers and make some really beautiful pictures.once your flowers are ready,you have to cut a piece of wax paper to the size of the picture you want,arrange the flowers on the wax paper into the design you want,add a small dot of glue to the back of the flowers to hold them in place.let the glue dry and then cover your flowers and wax paper with a clear piece of contact paper.you can then frame your picture with a piece of constuction paper,or you can use a real frame that you like.this is a real pretty idea and looks so nice.hope you like it.take care.i have done this a few times really nice.
That sounds pretty simple. I will have to try next time I get flowers. Thanx!
@wisconsin26 (3859)
Yes I dry them... I normally place them in a plastic bag and put them in a book so they press together with no air.. That normally works good.. I've never heard of using hairspray though on flowers.. Does that keep them together better or do they still break apart some?
Yes it keeps them together. So long as you nice to them...LOL. Eventually like a yr later some of the petals might fall off. I have noticed the ones that fall off the inside of the petal has all its color! So I keep the petals too.
@IcyCucky (361)
Yes, I dried flower petals in between the sheets of my book. It work out pretty well for me. I then use the dried petals to decorate my photo albums, and make greeting cards also. Lately, my little boy uses the dried petals by freezing them in a glass container with a candle in the middle to make a center piece for our dinning area. He loves to do experiment and it turns out gorgeous!
That sounds really cool. Could you give me some instructions on how to do that? I would like to try with my boys. Thanx
On a special occasion (birth of my daughter, birthday, Mother's Day, etc) IF I get flowers lol I will hang them upside down for about 4 or 5 days. That has always worked for me, and they have always stayed together. I have never heard of the hairspray trick until now and I'll have to give that a try! A friend of mine puts them in a photo album with the card(s) she recieved with the flowers.
@tuffy999 (794)
i hang them upside down for a day or two then spray them with hair spray, somehow it works.
@peanutjar (5211)
I dry flowers from my garden to make basket,vase or wreath decorations.I pick them fresh and put a hook on the end and hang them in my special drying place in the basement by the furnace.I then spray them with hairspray or a clearcoat of varnish.By spraying them fresh,they will keep their color,like red,pink etc.Its like an instant color freeze.
@Katlady2 (9920)
Usually when I try to dry my roses, I take the petals and set them in a bowl, spray them with hairspray, and then let them sit for a while. Later, I use them like a potpourri, and put them in simmering water. It makes the house smell so good. I also used to put them in heavy books to dry them, but that never seemed to work so well. It just made them fall apart and made the book all icky.
@squaretile (3833)
yes I do. I do not try them in a book since it would mean that they are flattened. instead, I hang them upside down so that they dry out nicely and the flower heads do not droop down, as they would if you let them rest in any other direction. I've not heard of 'setting' them with hair spray. does this help in the preservation process? or is that to add scent?
It seems to keep the color of the roses better and keeps the petals on. They really dont get a sent from it.