Do you always have to get what you want or need?

@LittleMel (14033)
I do feel that I have to get what I want or need, but if there is deadline or I'm in a rush, I really don't care much about what I want or need. I'll just get what is available, as long as it works.
@raijin (10373)
When I was young, I always thought that I could easily get things that I want. Later that I knew, it was not and that I have to work HARD for them to have. I've learned from this, that we cannot have the best of both worlds. I try to enjoy what I have and what is given to me, I have to be contented and try to make the best so I can obtain what I want. Sometimes, there are things that are really not worth to die for!LoL
@LittleMel (14033)
you're so right. some things can easily be substituted and if we don't have much time, we might as well not get them at all
@kamran12 (5555)
• Pakistan
Hello LittleMel!:-) My personal philosophy about life says that I don't have to have or get whatever I want or need. It is because of the fact that in my personal life experiences, though sometime I thought that I needed something yet I realized later that I could do without it. Similarly, sometimes the things that I wanted weren't good for me as such, so I was better off without them. There were many things that I wanted but couldn't get and yet, later, I came to know that they were better left out or at least were better not getting, in some ways. For example, I wanted to top in my 10th grade but I couldn't. I was really depressed over it. But, I find that it was the very reason I diverged my life into other realms of practical life. I could perhaps never be this balanced and complete, if I had topped. So, finally it was not better for me to top back then. There are many other examples like that in my life where I couldn't get something and that loss turned out to be a great gain. I do organize, plan and structure my work and wants but I do no further than appropriate and legitimate efforts. After doing my best, if I get that thing, I am happy but even if I don't get, I look forward to get yet a better overall outcome.
@LittleMel (14033)
oh yes I've been through that and this is how I learned that as long as I am healthy, I have food and shelter, nothig else really matters. It's not that achievements are not important, but if you have given it your all to achieve it and still can't do so, it's time to let it go.
@kamran12 (5555)
• Pakistan
"It's not that achievements are not important, but if you have given it your all to achieve it and still can't do so, it's time to let it go." very well said, LittleMel!:-)
@LittleMel (14033)
thanks, it's just something I realize over the years
Yeah, I'm pretty flexible. I always think it is a benefit if we can adapt to what is given us.
@LittleMel (14033)
that's right. it doesn't make sense insisting to get what we want done when there are other things still need to be completed.
I think it simplifies our lives when we come to realize that.
@LittleMel (14033)
it's true life is not simple but it will be less difficult if we stop insisting on some things that don't really matter
@hobohobo (680)
sometime i feel that way but i always do to get the best for my self, but if i can't get what i wan't i will try to find something that close to what i want
@LittleMel (14033)
will you still do that when you have limited time, for example? I won't.
@hobohobo (680)
if i just have little time, i will do just like you say :)
@suspenseful (40313)
Well I can give you either a blank no, or not yet. I do not like taking substitutions, because then I would be very unhappy. I do take what is available, but it is not to my liking and it is usually because something broke and I had not enough money to save for what I needed. I do try to get the best available for the price I pay, though, because if I cannot get what I really want, what I get has to last.
@LittleMel (14033)
you sound like my husband, whatever he needs or wants he has to get it, unless it's too expensive. even if we're in a hurry, he'll sneak out and get it
@polachicago (19073)
What we really need is food and shelter, what we want is sometimes without any real value to our life. I am very careful what I want, because I don't want to become slave if what I posses.
@LittleMel (14033)
that's true. we want a lot of things and we can't control it, we'll have to live with debts all our life
It depends on what we are talking about. Yes, sometimes I have to have what I need. But, most times I am able to be flexible and compromise. If it is a big ticket item, then no, I don't HAVE to have it. Like my laptop monitor went black last week. Well, sure I would like a replacement, but right now it is not feasible to do so, so I will just wait until I can have it repaired or buy another laptop. If it is more personal, like a certain facial moisturizer that I use everyday, YES! I HAVE to have that brand and nothing else..so, you see. I all depends on what the need or want is.
@LittleMel (14033)
you're right. some things can not be substituted no matter what
@squaretile (3833)
well, if there's no time there we usually just make do with what we can get. and this discussion makes me think of food. but thinking further this could be extrapolated to life partners too. some people feel that they are running out of time, or their biological clock is ticking. then instead of getting what you really want or need, you just get whatever you can get fast. haha, is that one interpretation?
@LittleMel (14033)
ahah, I guess it could be interpretated in a lot of things in my case I'm married and wanting to have a baby but this one it's beyond my control