Have you ever thought "What if I'm one of those who are homeless?"

this kind of thought sometimes pop out of my mind. And I really have no honest answer to that. We live comfortably and we have a stable roof over our heads and we never go hungry. When I was a kid, we had our tough times but still we had a home and we still eat on time. But whenever I see homeless people, especially the kids, and I try to place myself in their situation, I really don't know how to answer my own question. Will I have the strength to go through day after day, looking for scraps of food, looking for a dry ground to sleep on? What about you?
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
I've never had to think that because I've been there. I was one of those kids that was jostled from one relative to another repeatedly, and there were times that people would just dump me and I'd have nowhere to live. My mother was actually the worst for this, just abandoning me in places where I didn't even know anyone, and I would just have to fend for myself. Eventually I would try going to a shelter of something, and eventually that would always wind up with me back in the clutches of my abusive family, but I've been homeless for long stretches of time in between. I can't believe that I survived to be honest. There are some days in my adult life when I just pinch myself to make sure I haven't dreamed all the wonderful things that have happened to me since I've been an adult.
Life has taken so much from you before but it also gave back blessings, and so much more. You are one tough person to be able to survive that kind of experience. I'm thinking that because of what you've gone through, you value so much the family that you have now.
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
*nods* I have definitely learned to value what I have. My husband, my child, my friends and their children... those are my family now. And I am very very blessed to have them, as well as having a roof over my head, food to eat, and most importantly... safety. Those things I never had as a child.
Yes, when you have safety, you can be assured that there's nothing to worry about anymore. You can now have a good night sleep knowing that when you wake up the next morning, everything is just the same comfortable and reassuring life that you have now. ^_^
@williamjisir (22900)
I have never thought about that. I have a nice parents who brought us children up without letting us suffer. They have been so great to us children. I appreciate my parents for giving us a warm home and now bought a new apartment for my parents in return.
God Bless your parents, william, who made sure that you and your siblings were well taken care of. Your a good son who knows how to appreciate what your parents have done for you. ^_^
Thanks for your nice compliment, dear friend. I appreciate it very much. Have a good time, friend.
@ctrymuziklvr (11059)
Only 5 years ago I was homeless and living in a shelter. I thanked God and still do that my kids were grown and on their own at the time so I only had to worry about myself. I never had to look for scraps of food or ground to live on because the system in my city is awesome. I always had a bed,at least 2 hot meals a day and I did laundry at an Aunt's house.
That's so great. I just wish it happens the same way here in my country. When people get so poor here, they really have nothing to eat, nowhere decent enough to sleep on.
@Nardz13 (5059)
• New Zealand
Hi there. I have thought of it and how lucky I am and how much I appreciate having what we have and the lives we live, that we are not out there trying to make ends meet and looking for the next dinner/breakfast or lunch... Just makes me think of how greatful I am...
You're right. Whenever I see homeless people, I appreciate the things that I have. A stable roof above my head, eating a decent meal on time and a comfortable life. It's just sad to see homeless little kids,too. One gets to think that it's not fair for them to suffer such hardships in such an early stage in their lives.