Marriages, to dissolve in 7 years??!!

@owstalaga (4552)
A German politician is said to have proposed/suggested that marriage be dissolved in 7 years!!! How rude and unethical can she get? Should she be allowed to make "users" out of Germans or other people for that matter?!! (Check out the story here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070921/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_germany_politics_marriage) I say she must be an opportunist and a user for even suggesting such a thing. That's why there's marriage so you'll be together forever. It won't be called marriage if it's just cohabitation for 7 years!If it's a civil wedding i might let her comment pass but in a Church wedding? No way! Why get married in the first place if you're going to separate in maybe... 7 years?! Sheesh. What do you think...
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
You know, marriages with an expiration date aren't a new idea. The Celts across much of Europe considered them one form of marriage at one time. Sort of a "trial marriage". I guess honestly I don't have any problem with it. But my values are based on people doing what is best for them personally rather than following social norms, as long as they aren't hurting anyone. If someone agrees to a marriage that they know is supposed to end, then obviously they are choosing that and not being harmed by it. Not only that, but vows can always be renewed if the couple chooses to do that. I do think that both the "lifelong" and "7 year" marriages should be available rather than just one or the other, if you were going to make a 7 year marriage available. Since I couldn't read your news story (the link didn't work) I'm just going off what you said here, not the actual story.
@owstalaga (4552)
[yeah sorry the link has a close parenthesis, i'm having it removed thru mylot staffers (i sent them an email) anyway just remove the close parenthesis at the end of the link for now. ^_^] Well, maybe from a Catholic/Christian's point of view it is so wrong if that politician is talking about including Church weddings. That's just plain wrong to me. ^_^
@lecanis (16664)
• Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Ah, I was able to read the article now. Yeah, that's the problem with trying to assess laws from a religious point of view. It's perfectly okay in my religion (I'm a Celtic Reconstructionist Pagan, hence my mention of Celtic marriage history). However, of course it would be wrong in your religion. Trying to reconcile religious marriage rules with civil marriage laws is a tough thing. It sounds like this particular politician is mostly trying to do things her own way and be rebellious, so I'm not saying I'm particularly on her side after reading about her. However, since so many marriages end early anyway, I still don't think the option of a trial marriage is too bad. Of course the news article also says that the law has pretty much no chance of passing, so I don't think there's much to worry about. I wonder about the religious makeup of Germany. Obviously it seems to be highly Catholic, but I wonder what other religions are represented there, and what people of those religions would think about this option.
@owstalaga (4552)
hm... I do think tribes have such a thing as trial marriage. i think there's some tribe in africa that does it... I also heard that Igorots (from Philippines) have such a thing. However i don't have any solid proof yet but i've been hearing about them. So maybe to non-Christians there actually is such a thing as trial marriage. Well i guess her popularity decreased because of her comments on marriage. Whatever will happen to her political career is anyone's guess.
Her proposition was foolish and ridiculous yes, but I'd hardly call it unethical or rude. It has nothing to do with ethics or manners, it's just very very very far left. It's presumptuous of her to assume that most marriages will end in seven years and foolhardy of her to put in place an automatic dissolution of every marriage. Going into a union like that is not secure, and gives people too many options to wander. When you consider marriage to be for life, you are more careful when choosing your partner. Knowing it'll end in seven years anyway, why bother get married? Civil wedding or church, it doesn't matter.
@owstalaga (4552)
Well, yeah i think she's much of a leftist that's why she's suggesting such things...
@isaiah12 (418)
I read that news story! Some people come up with the strangest ideas don't they?
@owstalaga (4552)
Yeah it's just so stupid sometimes and unethical. I don't know maybe she isn't happy with her marriage, IF she is married. Haha.