Anxiety

@beckyomg1 (6758)
My son was recently put on meds for anxiety. I really would like to get him off the meds. Just because he is on so many right now. He is on meds for adhd, epilepsy, and bi polar. I wish I could help him. He is going thru a rought time. I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas what i could do for him for his anxiety attacks.
@mirage108 (3403)
Hey I feel for your son. I do wish I had some ideas for you but I dont.
@jewel76 (2305)
One of my close friends had anxiety attacks for a while some time ago. At first, she took the meds, and it helped, but then, she started skipping some pills, but always carried them with her. She soon realized that it wasn't really the pill itself that helped her overcome those anxiety attacks, but just the fact of knowing she had something to save her from those, helped her enough. Maybe after some short period of taking the pills, your son can just carry them around, "just in case" and it'll help him like it helped my friend. At the end, it was just like a crutch for her, and eventually, she got rid of them, and hasn't had any attacks for many years now. Good luck to you and your son.
@maybebaby (1231)
Alot of anxiety is caused by uncertainty as to the events in one's day or life. I find that alot of kids are helped when they know exactly what is going to be happening in their day. I would make up a daily schedule for your son. Be specific in what is going to happen when. For example 1.get on the bus and get to school. 2. Go to homeroom. 3. Go to science...and also a schedule of bigger events on a monthly or weekly calander is helpful. If he becomes anxious during certain events or at certain times he could use and "escape plan" if it becomes to overwhelming. Another helpful tool to teach your son is proper breathing. If he is getting overwhelmed and knows how to take very deep breaths it may calm him down a bit. That's all I can think of for now. Good luck.
In my opinion, your son was just recently put on those meds. Meds, even though he is on a lot of them, can help. I'd let the meds do their work for a few months and when he's finally leveling out, check up with his doctor again about what the best method of treatment would be next. Once those chemicals are balanced out in his brain, and he realizes his anxiety is pretty irrational, and that bad things aren't going to happen like he thinks, he probably can be taken off the medicine slowly.