Have you ever tried to slowly get off your meds?

I was talking to my doctor about trying this myself. I am on welbutrin xl 300mg. I am great on this with no side affects. it's just that I want to try to ween off it. I am on a 1000 mg of depekote and want to slow down all the meds. What's your thought on this? Would you want to do this before getting old.
I am in the process of being weaned off my Zoloft for Post Partum depression. As my doctor explained it to me, you have to slowly wean off the meds, as it is too hard to come off right away. So, weaning off would be the best way to go in my opinion. If you are feeling well, and your doctor says it is okay, give it a shot. Worst case, you find as you wean down your dose, that you might still need the medications. Good luck!
Naw, but I'm a weirdo about my meds. I don't take welbutrin or depekote tho, so you may want to talk to your doctor about weening down. I quit and start my meds all the time. When I start feeling like I hate everything, I start taking them again for a few weeks. Normally, I do fine for up to 6 months without them, it just depends. Good luck.
@meholl (510)
Well, I would sayget off the depakote, some of the side effects you have from depakote are not felt, but it can cause memory loss
@glamgrl (384)
this is really hard i did it to get pregnant it nearly killed me i want to give them up when i am old too but for now i wouldnt risk it i have too much at stake my daughter is my first priority
@ky1119 (699)
Personally, I will never again be without my medicine. I'm one of those who decides since I feel better, I must not need it. Then I stop taking it and slip into this dark depression. I'm not really a "sad" depressed, but instead am very moody and lash out at those around me. I'm tired all the time without my medication, so I lay around and eat. I started taking my meds again almost two months ago and have lost a considerable amount of weight, and am sleeping well now. What made me start taking my medication again was that my moodiness and lashing out pushed my husband away from me and he left me. I didn't realize how bad it was until he left. Since I have been on my medication, we've been able to talk through things without fighting, and he moved back home last Thursday. If I'd have known how much I was destroying my own life and forcing others around me to suffer, I would have never stopped taking it to begin with. Just thought I'd share.