is marriage for convenience or what?

@mensab (4204)
i saw people getting married for convenience such as financial stability, family circles, immigration purposes, employment promotion, tax reduction, school and business connections, political move, social prestige, etc... what is it for you? i am 32.. contemplating of marrying someone soon.. may i know your thoughts on this?
I choose to marry for love, but that's my choice and my life. I really don't see what the big deal is, marriage can be very useful in certain circumstances and I really don't think it's anyone's buisness who marries who for what reason, but I do think it's unfair that homosexuals aren't allowed to get married.
@mensab (4204)
yeag, it's our choice, decision, and life. but don't you think society gives marriage legitimacy? that's probably why it is very difficult for homosexuals to arrange for marriage.. our society does not simply see their marriages as legitimate.. so what makes marriage legitimate? aside from the legal point.
To hell with "society"! Love is the ONLY thing that matters in love and marriage. No one has the right to tell anyone that their love and committment is more or less valid than anyone else's. It's wrong, unjust and unfair.
Hi Mensab, My thoughts on marriage are this, if your living with someone and its working out fine, why do you need to? If marriage meant today what it meant 50 years ago, then I would be more than for it. Not that Im against it, I just think that people get married for the wrong reasons. If they are marrying for religious purposes then why is there such legality to it? When you look up the word marriage, it says a legal union between a man and a woman to become husband and wife. Its not a ritual to perfrom for the eyes of God, though most weddings take place in a church, it has nothing to do with religion. If you think being legal in a relationship is important, then get married. But what does legality really have to do with two people being together, living life and being happy? Not being married doesnt mean you dont love your partner, that your not going to take care of them finacially, get that promotion, have the love and support of your in laws....does a peice of paper really make two people feel this? Bay Lay Gray xx
@mensab (4204)
wow.. this is great! thank you for this one, very enlightening.. it is easy though to think this way, but i don't know how I am going to do it... my family, community, friends, colleagues, all try to convince and conspire against this. but this is what I think (you articulated it very well)..
Thank you Mensab, Your right, its your choice. I think if you feel its the right thing to do, then do it. I just dont think its priority if your happy, and you truly love someone. I know a lot of people think that marriage will keep people from being who they really are, like cheaters and liars. I mean if they are going to cheat and lie, marriage is not going to stop it. So many think its a right or an ownership of someone, that is DEF not marriage. Bless you in your choice! I hope your happy no matter what you decide to do. Bay xx
@anup12 (4180)
I think yes many people marry for all that but then I think they will see business in all spheres of life then as they will always calculate on things.In other words they are veyr veyr calculated.
@mensab (4204)
so it is a decision. marriage is a decision. and in any human decision, we calculate the costs and benefits. i wonder what happens to love in marriage. i hope love still plays a significant role in marriage, other than the collateral considerations.
I don't know if that is a thing here in America but I have heard many people overseas seek to marry in america so that they can get away from poverty or a badly governed hation. I know a friend of mine had told me that marriage was more an escape from the home life they had known..this was for both parties involved.