What's so good about long term relationships?

@lorelai (1558)
Italy
I met my boyfriend 4 years ago and we have been together since. he is a great guy. I like the fact he knows me so well, he teases me about eating chocolate, he knows I like chestnuts so he knows that at least once a year he has to take me pick them and although he doesn't like that kind a activities in the nature he always goes with me and helps me pick them and he doesn't even like to eat them. I think it takes a lot of tolerance to stay in a relationship but mostly this tolerance pays of.
@mac1946 (1602)
• Calgary, Alberta
Thats great Lorelai,but which one of you is scared of committing?after 4 years,I would think it is time to decide if you were going to get married and have a family.that is of course if you believe in marriage.
@lorelai (1558)
I believe in marriage but I still study and I won't get married before I finish my master. I am not one of those people who just get married and have children. I don't wanna get married before I start working because I don't want to depend on my husband's money. That's not being scared of committing. I don't like people who get married and then get divorced then have a children then find another man and have a child get married get divorced find themselves another man who has 2 children and so on and on and on. I think this decision is for life and I don't wanna rush into it. I do believe in marriage but not in divorce.
@mac1946 (1602)
• Calgary, Alberta
sorry lorilei,I didn't mean to sound so obnoctious,I do have problems sometimes saying what I mean when typing,it sounds better when I say it out ot myself than what it sounds like in print. I do understand how with your schedual it is better to wait,and so long as you are both happy,that is all that counts. please forgive.
@lorelai (1558)
No problem, I forgive you. It is difficult to express oneself writing sometimes.
@academic2 (7009)
• Uganda
You are doing just the right thing sticking to you relatonship that long-four years is a long time to know the true colours of the person you want live with. By the time you choose to marry, you will be getting into it with all the details about your lover-you know his likes and dislikes, you know his strength and weaknesses-you tend to capitalize on those things that make your lives together worthy and meaningful! Look, he knows you like chocolates and you too know perhaps what he likes! Did you know that flash-light marriages that are consumated within a few months are the ones responsible for the high divorce rates today?
@lorelai (1558)
I agree with you.Thanks for your reply
@theprogamer (10539)
Well if done right, it can offer some stability and monogamy in the relationship. I only say it based on some examples and not on personal experience. I think you are right, because it does take tolerance and patience to be in a relationship. Sad part is, I see less and less of this with more and more cases of dating/marriage problems and divorce cases.
@lorelai (1558)
I agree with you and that's really sad. People shouldn't put up with everything but I am sure if they wouldn't rush into things and they should think more about the other one sometimes.
@academic2 (7009)
• Uganda
Long term relationships in my opinion are great. I prefer to be in a relationship to dating several men. I guess it's because when you're with just one person, you don't run the risk of disease as you would with many men/women. You have the chance to get to know that person and it makes life worth living...to me at least. If I had the choice, I would always be in a committed relationship so that I wouldn't have to worry about learning someone elses habits, likes and dislikes, and other things. Long term relationships are the way to go!! Smile!