Has anyone used a flea fogger for the home?

I have carpet all over this place. I can't seem to get this mess gone. My poor cat keeps suffering from fleas. We just bathed them and they were doing fine. Now they are running all around my cats coat. The info says it leaves no lingering oder. I have to try something else.
@sedel1027 (17851)
Before you use a fogger you have to check with your apartment manager to see if the air or heating ducts are connected. I was told by our manager when we moved it that we couldn't use a fogger even though our air vents are not connected. If I fogged my apartment it could still affect the air quality in other apartments and kill other peoples animals. For us, we have 4 fish tanks, 2 birds and 2 cats. All of those animals plus ourselves would have to be out of the entire apartment for 24 hours to ensure we didn't inhale the stuff. You really should try to buy some of the carpet spray and use the spot on treatment for you animals. It costs a good bit of money but that is probably all you can do at this point.
I don't know about the air ducts. My landlord lets us fog for roaches in our apt. He does his own as well. I am waiting on the carpet spray now. I will try this and see how it goes. I vacuum constantly is this not helping the fleas? Thanks
@sedel1027 (17851)
Vacuuming does help. What kind of vacuum do you have? If it is the bag kind, you should buy a flea collar to throw in the bag and throw out your bag at least once a week. If you leave the bag in the vacuum in your home, then the eggs will hatch and reinfest your apartment. If you do use the fogger, either do the whole place at once and leave (everyone including the animals) for 24 hours to ensure that you do not inhale any of the chemicals. You can do it room by room, but I do not know how effective that really is. We got out flea issue under control using spot on treatments every 3 weeks, my regular vacuuming, and bathing the cats in dawn once a week.
@sedel1027 (17851)
On top of vacuuming you should be washing all bed linens, bath mats, etc on a regular basis. I know you mentioned that your cats at one point were on the furniture, you should vacuum that as well. Something else you may want to try, is put a dish of soapy water out in a dark room with a night light above it. The fleas will be drawn to the light and drown in the water. If you decide to do the Borax, you need to leave it on the floor for about an hour. Remember that you will kick up dust while vacuum so be sure to wear a mask or cover your face. You may want to do it room by room to keep the cats out of the room while the borax sits and you vacuum it up. An alternative to the Borax is table salt. Oh, you may also want to try adding brewer’s yeast to the cats food. It causes their blood to taste bad to the fleas. You can use the pill form or the powdered form (double check with your vet, but I believe the dose is 1tsp.)
Bathing and flea collars are crap. You will need to get some frontline or revolution for cats and apply that. I have found that only those work. Use borax in the carpets and vacuum up the residue after it sits for a few moments.
I have to go to walmart now. Thanks so much I use borax in my laundry and never knew this.
@nelly5 (1425)
After reading the other responses, I have to say, I agree totally with the people who told you to get frontline. I have boughten so many different flea products from the store. I have also purchased the bombs, seven-dust and all kinds of crap...that was only a waste of money. I bought frontline from my vet and it is the ONLY thing that has worked for my cats. If you don't have the money, you could try to give your cat a bath and use dawn dish soap, it kills the fleas...but they will just be back on them in a couple..or few days. Also, sweep every single day. I know that is a lot of work, but for a couple of weeks, you will want to sweep every day to get the flea problem under control. Also, be sure to empty your sweeper outside. Oh if you do give your cat a bath, I believe you can't put frontline on your cat for two days after the bath. Good luck, I know how annoying fleas are, and how bad I felt for my cats when they had them.