My cat doesn't seem to like the vet

@LittleMel (14033)
I mean I've never seen such an aggressive cat before. She was like that during vet visit, she would scratch anything and anyone including us, then all the noise she made I've never heard other cats made that at the vet. I think I have to take her to another vet. Does you cat do this during vet visit? have you ever changed vet?
@Vieras (42)
It happens. I've seen so many people come into my old jobs with cats that are all calm and quiet until the second they are taken out of their pet carrier. Then they're like a completely different cat and the owners are like "What's wrong? She's not like that at all at home!" You could try changing your vet, maybe this vet's body language and mannerisms are making that cat uncomfortable and scared. If it still happens after a vet change just know that you're cat isn't the only cat like this. They seem to get like that because they're taken out of their home and into a strange environment. They don't know anyone around them except you and strange people are touching them, grabbing them, and doing things to them (taking temperature, giving vaccines) that isn't normally done to them and on top of it, they most likely hear the other cats and dogs and their tones can panic your pet as well. Usually if you over worry too, they sense this and will worry and panic too. Aside from staying calm and talking calmly to your kitty to relax her and keep her calm, I'm really not sure what else you could try. I've never had to change vets for this reason but usually any vet knows how to handle even the meanest of cats =D
@LittleMel (14033)
I do worry, but not too much because I know she is indoor cat and I pay attention to her a lot. but I think she won't be like that if we are around when she is checked by the vet. I don't know if this is possible though.
@Vieras (42)
Yea, sometimes it's more calming for the pet when it's owner is there with it. Every vet I've ever been to and worked for would examine the pet in front of the owner, in the examination rooms. I don't know about the vets that do everything behind closed doors. Those vets I seldom trust unless I know them or someone who works there. I mean, how can you be so sure that your pet is truly being examined or getting it's vaccines unless you're seeing it for yourself? You could ask if it's possible for you to be there for the exam and vaccinations, even if you might have to sign something like a waiver before you go with them to the back, some require it. It wouldn't hurt to ask your vet when you're there or call in ahead of time, before you go in, to see if it's at all possible.
Well if every time your cat goes to the vet they are getting a shot..then of course she may not like the vet. Mine has been several times but becomes very quiet.
@LittleMel (14033)
I think we only take her for annual check, which includes all the shot and blood check.
@melanie652 (2525)
She may act the same way with a different vet? I don't think very many pets *like* going to the vet. They get poked and prodded and stabbed with shots. That's not very much fun! I don't like going to the doctor, but go when I need to anyway. It's a bit harder to try to get a cat to understand when they need to go to the vet! Good luck with future visits!
@LittleMel (14033)
if only I can speak cat language hehe
@polachicago (19073)
Oh Mel you made me smiling. I have change vets from rude to friendly few times. Somehow my animals know who is friendly. All of my animals are acting funny at the vet clinic. My sweet older dog can be very upset, I was told that she is aggressive by vet....she was just afraid and shaking...did not bite...but she was crying so loud... I met nice vets, but later learned that it was temporary help from vet school... Vet visits are very traumatic for all of my animals.
@LittleMel (14033)
I don't feel like taking her to the vet actually but I don't think I have the choice
@williamjisir (22884)
Hello dear LittleMel. I am thinking the problem why your cat doesn't want to see the vet. Maybe she knows that you are going to get her neutered by the vet and she is not happy with that? Could this be the reason for it? I think that your cat must be a very clever one as she does not want to lose her instinctive pleasureness. hehehe. Hey, friend. I was just kidding from the angle of your cat.lol. Have a nice day, dear friend.
@LittleMel (14033)
hahah no my friend. my cat has been neutered years ago and the vet did a great job with her, no infection whatsoever. maybe she remembers the experience? but she was like that the first time we took her there, before we decided to spay her.
@lilaclady (28226)
Sounds like a clever cat to me, a bit like people not liking the dentist, your probably only associates the vet with pain and they can smell danger, it is too bad we can't explain to them it is in their best interest...
@LittleMel (14033)
I feel this too. I mean there is no other cat like that during our visit. Mine was making hell of noise I think I have to take her to different one.