do you get your mailman a present

We haven't lived here long but I have the nicest mailman. He is so pleasant and never complains even when he's dropping off boxes and has to come to the door. I can't remember his name, but I wanted to get him something. Any ideas? I could leave cookies or something in the mail box but he probably gets a lot of those.
@vera5d (4006)
i too love my mail man...though she is a mail lady...she is so nice, and since i constantly sign up for free stuff and we've had a busy year of people sending us packages she often has to come to our door. she is so nice and sweet...but i also know its a federal offense to put something besides mail with a stamp in a mail box...its a tricky call, but i would like to get her something too. i am sure she isn't allowed to accept presents...but a lot of people do anyways.
I found this out: federal employees (including mail carriers) can't accept anything over $20. So I guess a gift card would be ok. I also saw in this place that people tip their trash collectors? I don't know about that!
@vera5d (4006)
That's great, i would really like to do something nice for her!
@lightningMD (5932)
I was under the impression that mailmen were not allowed to accept gifts. I believe this is what a friend of mine said when she worked there. I would call the post office and check it out.
Good point, I should check, thanks. There might just be a limit as with a lot of government positions.
@Adoniah (7515)
It is done sometimes. At our Apt. complex we take up a collection and by a gift card for our mailman. He and his wife just had a baby so we know what they will spend it on.
I like the idea of taking up a collection. Maybe I can do that with some of my neighbors. I do know he likes fishing so maybe a gift card somewhere that has fishing items like sporting goods store. thanks!
@Sissygrl (10914)
We dont have a mailman that comes to our door here. we have boxes at the end of the street where everyone on our street picks up their mail. so the mailman can just DRIVE around to each street and get out only once. NICE EH? for the mailman that is! I dont think you should leave him anything edible. Most people dont eat things from people they dont really know well.. at least smart people dont! What if you just leave him a card with something personal and nice written in it, I bet that would make his day :)
That's true about food. I like your idea about the card, but I'm embarassed I don't know his name - maybe I will ask a neighbor. I wonder if mailmen don't like reading their mail when they get home? I know I didn't like talking on the phone after work when I was a receptionist.
@kellys3ps (3726)
No, we don't get gifts for the mail carrier. Our mail carrier is the worst - we are always getting other people's mail - it makes me wonder where our mail might be misdirected!
@mrsjbelle (1641)
Thats very sweet of you if he earned it I would def get him a little something
@JoyfulOne (6242)
I live in a rural area, so my mailman drives one of those mail trucks. I usually just give him a holiday card with a thank you in it, and leave him a holiday theme paper plate loaded with homemade cookies. I can't really afford to give him a cash 'tip' (especially since he earns wayyyyy, wayyyyy more than me!) He seems quite pleased with the plate of goodies though.