Practicing and vocal exercises

@suspenseful (40314)
I have been practicing vocal exercises for over two years now. About a year ago, I learned that it was best to go as high as you could one day, and the next day, just do what you are comfortable with, the range you usually sing without straining. I do scales, arpeggios,etc. However, I was wondering how long do you practice before actually singing the songs or whether there is such a thing as too much practice. Oh I do drink lots of water so you do not have to emphasize that fact.
@Lakota12 (42681)
I know it is not good to strain your voice and what I would say is do the scales to warm up and then sing the song dont think ya should really prolong it to long might not be tio good for the vocal chords
@suspenseful (40314)
I casn only do so long with the high parts. I can get up to G6 that is past the C after high C, but mostly Ahs in that, and it takes a bit of practice before I can sustain it. Really I might just need to sing C6 or possibly up to E6 but going up to G6 makes it easier for notes a little lower.
@Lakota12 (42681)
I was trested once on the range of my voice I did the high c good and think a little beyound but I also went to the c below middle c. The woman said I had a great range for singing. dont sing much any more. and those high notes just dont come out any more. I loved to sing with Roy Orbinsons songs I could at one time hit the those high notes hard to do now. My voice has changed and I sing lower once had a neice ask me why I sang like a man lol I used to do a very good alto.
@suspenseful (40314)
I had to sing with the altos when I was a teen. As I got older, my voice range went higher. At that time, altos did not have much of a melody and they were usually doing two or three notes over and over again. I could not get to the high high C then and there were no voice lessons so that was just your natural voice. Now I cannot get below Middle C, so it seems I went up instead of down. I do wonder what happens to Altos who go down, do they eventually become basses?:)
@Lady_Vincy (1540)
When I used to take voice lessons and perform we did vocal warm ups for about 15-20 mins. That should be more than enough time to get the voice all nice and ready to persorm. We did the same things that you say u do. Those are good warm ups for anybody that is going to sing. I don't think there is a such thing as too much practice. U should practice/warm up until you are comfortable. I didn't drink alot of water though. We drank tea and gargled with E.V.O.O. (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) which is great for the throat. Hope this helped.
@suspenseful (40314)
I am a great tea drinker but I did not know about the olive oil though. Thanks.
@Sharon38 (1915)
• Jamaica
I normally practice with my cds because most of the times the Praise Team members do not turn up for practice. I think I will try what you said about the hihg notes though. I too drink a lot of water -not from the fridge though - straight from the tap.
@suspenseful (40314)
We have a Brita filter on our tap, because the water here contains all sorts of things. The city has just raised our taxes though to build a new water filtration pipe. I drink lots of water though and it helps.
@wolfie34 (26791)
Aaah, we have a budding musical diva on our hands, maybe our next Annie Lennox, Celine Dion or Shania Twain perhaps! You'll be singing on Youtube next as one of my friends does which is very impressive as she sings in Chinese! Wolfie on the other hand has the voice of the local Tom Cats, and believe me you don't want to be around when I start singing, but I save that for when I'm driving - alone! Good luck with your singing x
@suspenseful (40314)
I will have to get a bit more practice and I want to sing a solo at our church's spring concert first I do not have a good web cam and this computer is not that good, but I just might.
• Pakistan
about 8 years ago i had my first concert to sing. i had a couple of friends and we called it a band named "The Malangans". i did so much practice that the next day my voice was down. i was so tense. any way i did gargles and so many tricks people told me and due to the tension i was losing confidence and my voice. at the end about few minutes from the showdown i made my self understand that no mater what is written my fate i can't change that so why be scared. what will happen will happen i can't chagne that, so why not give it my best shot but in a relax mode. so i closed my eyes and started and i found that my voice came back and i sung so beautifully that i couldnt' belelieve my own voice. practice is must but not that much that you hurt your throught i must say. the main thing is your confidence, if you have it with you, you can win.