We travel - we get sick - we wonder why

@Debs_place (10524)
Found this on snopes, so many people say they get sick from the airlines. Watch these videos on this link and tell me if your stomach does not turn. It seems like the harder we try to stay healthy, the harder people try and make it for us? So what are your plans next time you travel? They recommended bringing a glass from the bar to your room - I wonder if that would be any better?
@byfaithonly (10716)
Ok, I've traveled all over the country and stayed in tons of hotels and truth is I hate it. I never sleep good in hotels just thinking/wondering what had been cleaned what hadn't, what had been done there before I checked in and such. Now, seeing this I know I have good reason for my concern. Yep I'd much rather pack my tent and sleeping bag and 'rough' it before staying in a hotel, fancy or cheap.
@Debs_place (10524)
I know what you mean, you would think that the higher end would do a better job, but I guess I was wrong. I noticed that the cleaning people when cleaning the dishes were not even wearing gloves to protect themselves. You have to wonder about their 'training' and education level to work like that.
@byfaithonly (10716)
Need better training forsure but also need 'random cleaning checks' - supervisor should drop in from time to time to make sure the job is being done properly. As for the higher quality places? I've gotten some of the worst service in the most expensive places I'm sure their cleaning service is the same in many - good ones and bad ones.
@Thoroughrob (11748)
I think that they should be made to use the disposable cups in the rooms. They should always be wrapped in plastic. We all know that the comforters and pillows don't get cleaned properly. At least that way they could just be thrown away.
@Debs_place (10524)
You know, the more I think about it, and after reading these comments, it is amazing that we all don't get really sick from traveling. The body is really and amazing thing.
@maximax8 (30060)
I love to travel and think it is the places that I go to rather than the accommodation that I stay in that I like so very much. I have stayed in backpacker hostels with good hygiene and in small locally owned guest houses with the most superb quality. I have been to a few expensive hotels and thought that they were not worth the money. In Indonesia I stayed in a guest house and the room had two single beds. I sat down on one of the beds and saw a note in written on the wall. It said "do not stay here. These beds have flees and bed bugs. Check out now". Sure enough there were tiny spots of blood on the wall. It was late so I got another room, one with a double bed and a single bed. I put my backpack on the floor and a few plastic bags. In the night I could hear mice or rats running over my plastic bags. The next morning I found somewhere else to stay. Yes, glasses and plates are often not cleaned properly in hotels. On airline the air conditioning system harbors many germs like colds I think. Many insects like cockroaches are a fact of life in a tropical country. I got very sick after eating a salad on a boat between Sumatra and Malaysia. I fell down an open drain in Malaysia.
@Debs_place (10524)
Wow, it sounds like you have had some real adventures while traveling and are lucky to be on here now. My travel experiences are not near that exciting.
@polachicago (19073)
I think that link is missing..Is it about hotel or airlines?
@Debs_place (10524)
Hotel...it is disgusting http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/hotelglasses.asp Thanks for telling me!
@polachicago (19073)
Thank you so much. I don't like hotels at all. Bed is always cover with something so call cover or comforter that just touching make me feel sick... Even if you pay more that $100, never feel like my favorite place to sleep... I will have my own glasses now, thank you...
@Debs_place (10524)
I know, I will not lay down on the bedspreads. In fact, I have been in hotels and deliberately spilled things on them just so I can get a clean bedspread. What they did with the glasses is totally disgusting. Antibacterial soaps and wipes will be traveling with me and not just for the airlines and airport any more. I stayed at my son's navel base, we had a nice unit with a kitchenette, no dishwasher and people were asked to wash their own dishes. I used the plastic ones that came in the wrapper just for GP.