Parenting today.

@caramello (4381)
Australia
Do you feel the role of parenting is up to standard in today's society? Could it improve, and if so, how? This of course does not relate to all parents, but those who don't seem to have any idea.
@zuri25 (2127)
Parenting is not up to standards today, no. The cost of living has become so high that parents are consumed with being the financial providers of the household and sometimes their role as emotional health providers for their children falls by the wayside. This is one of a long list of reasons why I want to be a working stay-at-home mom. Even if I have to work all day while my kids are at school, I will find comfort in knowing that I will be there when they get up in the morning and when they come home in the afternoon. I never want my kids to feel that I don't have time for them.
@caramello (4381)
Thank-you for your response. You sound like you have the right and being a parent will pay off for you!
@The_Eagle_1 (1122)
Unfortunately parenting doesn't come with a manual and yes I believe much more can be done!
@caramello (4381)
Your so right, thank-you for your response.
@ossie16d (11826)
Parenting - Manual on Parenting
I am not sure whether it is up to standard, because how do we judge the standard that parenting should be? Of course each generation is raised in a different manner to the previous ones. But to continue with the other points you raise, I do think that major improvements could be made in the way children are reared. These days it seems that many families have 2 working parents and they children go to child care or other similar programs. I do not say that the mother should stay home with the children but society should allow either or both parents to spend time with their family. For more years than I can to think I have been an advocate of job sharing, and that applies to both males and females. This would mean that the parents could both work part time, yet still have time with their children if that is their choice. I was a working mother, so I am the last one who will criticise working mothers, but I did have lots of support from my wonderful husband. This enabled me to spend time with our son without having to worry about other unimportant things, like housework for example. LOL Many people work not for essentials but for the luxuries that they think the children need. This means less time with the children, parents not enforcing rules because it is easier to give in than to have to put up with tantrums from the child. Every child needs to know that they are loved, to realise that they cannot have everything, to learn manners, to be allowed to experiment (not dangerous things though), to test their wings, to have parents who are consistent in their discipline and unfortunately if Mum and Dad are not there or are tired, this does not always happen. So, yes we do need to be careful with the example we set for our children and for them to know when "no" means "no". I have noticed over the years that children seem to have so many organised activities after school and don't get time to "have fun" or be creative. Love, respect, honesty, integrity, self-confidence, discipline and nurturing in body and soul are the things that children need, not the X-Box or Play Station. Children do not arrive with a manual so their parents know what to do, and unfortunately some parents just have no idea what to do. Does this make sense caramello? LOL
@caramello (4381)
As usual ossie you put great effort in to your responses, and what you have put makes great sense, the essentials in life are for some but for others it is more about luxuries and keeping up with whoever! Is this the reason why we see what we see in society today amongst other influences? We have just had a horrific crime happen to a young girl around the same area my son was brutally bashed, in our "small" town, and today with what I learnt yesterday, I am having great difficulty in understanding how someone can do such an act! It is really quite frightening and this may be going off my discussion slightly, but could it also be linked with my discussion, thank-you for your response ossie, and my reply most likely does not make sense, sorry!
It is such a different world, then I grew up in. Mom's are working, leaving kids alone more. Life is a faster pace. More tv dinners. Parenting is different. I don't know if it could improove, as it is so different for me to recognize the way things are done now. However, it appears to me that parents seem to be more permissive with their children. Letting them do too many things too early in life.
@caramello (4381)
Thank-you for your response.
@reeseyj (906)
The way most people parent today is awful. They let thiere kids be so disrespectfull and there are no punishments. Kids rule the parents. The worst thing parents say is he/she is just a kid.How naive are you.
@caramello (4381)
You are quite right, all discipline seems to be gone, even teachers find it hard to do also. Thank-you for your response.
• Janesville, Wisconsin
No I do not feel parenting is up to standard, and yes I feel it could use some dramatic improvement. Parents taking times to raise their children with good values and morals, taking them out to community events, Not putting them in front of a computer or a television all day. It is to the point where my Generation felt like our parents was to strict on us so they are raising their children to be to spoiled... I watch it around me all the time especially in my own family. This is why I no longer have a TV or a VCR and nearly everyone I own is either wrecked by my nephews or my sisters themselves, They have no respect for eachother or themselves, and their children are growing up this way. I hate baby sitting for them, as their children cry believing they never come back, and then beg me to be their new mommy... and I do not want to be a parent, and I do not know how to react when a child says that other then to say you have a mommy, and they will be back soon.... My parents adopted me. They foster children all the time I grew up, and now as an adult I help them out often with their children. I watch these children come out of abuse and neglect, and I just want to scream at both the society, and the parents.... Spend TIME with your child, LOVE them, LISTEN to them, CARE for them, DISCIPLINE them, Teach them Manners, Learn different parenting techniques any parent who has the internet can look up parenting and parenting tips and get alot of information. Teach them responsibility, Teach them how to choose their battles, and how to let what others say roll off them, teach them how to make friends, how to defend themselves, and when to do so, How to properly deal with harassment, how to mind only their own business etc... How to manage Stress, and How to respect different religions, cultures, societies etc. Help them find hobbies, New friends that are good friends.. Do not EVER isolate them from society, help them fit into places where the peer pressure will help them stay on the RIGHT path.. There is so much they can do, and be done....But many times it is difficult it differs family to family, child to child, society to society... Just for all parents out there do your best, and never be afraid to compare notes with other parents. - DNatureofDTrain
@caramello (4381)
Thank-you for your positive response, and that something good has come out of who you are and what you aim for. Good luck for your future, and may it bring you much happiness.