If you saw someone shoplifting what would you do?

It could be anything at all. from a bar of soap,dvd player,even a pack of diapers. So many thins are stolen everyday. I was in walmart one day in Miami. I saw a young girl looking at the gum. She stood there for a few minutes. Then went closer to the shelf still looking. Then she just gently picked up a pack of gum and placed it in her pocket. I watched this girl walk right by the police at the door. No I was not going to report that girl. They have security all over the store. That is what they are paid for. I would have been putting myself in harms way in the hood snitching.
@Thoroughrob (11748)
I have told workers what I have seen. I used to work in retail and know that they cannot stop you unless they know exactly what you picked up and where you have it. They would not stop anyone unless they had it on camera or management seen it most of the time.
@carolbee (16231)
I would be afraid to report someone who I thought was shoplifting. Cameras are in the ceilings of most stores and many stores have secret shoppers who are security. It would be my luck to report someone and that someone was actually going to pay for whatever item they stuck in their pocket. Say their hands were full or the cart just wouldn't hold one more thing. Then I would be fasely accusing someone of stealing. I'm better off staying out of this sort of situation even though it's wrong to steal. I generally shop in my immediate area. I work for the "city" and would hate to have my name on paperwork the police would review. I would find that to be very embarrassing especially if I made a false report..lol
LOL I can truly understand this. I am also laughing at the part where your name would be on the report. It would make me feel like falling in a hole. :)
@pergammano (7690)
I have very quietly confronted the person and explained to them the consequences of their actions. Explaining that it may not catch up with them today, but it will someday. I also explain that this can become a very serious habit that tends to escalate. I also explain that this behaviour affects us all as the outlet must increase costs of products to cover these kinds of losses.
@winterose (39895)
I probably wouldn't have either, your right there is camera and floor walkers all around for that.
@ebsharer (5515)
I guess it depends a pack of gum no I wouldn't say any thing but a bag full of thing yeah I would say some thing.
@twoey68 (13651)
I've been in this spot before. I was at Walmarts and saw a woman putting handfuls of sewing thread into her purse. I walked around the aisle to the worker and told her. They followed the woman through the store and caught her just as she was leaving. I hated doing it but at the same time if one gets away with it they all try to get away with it. **AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~
@umavarma1 (926)
i know its our responsibility to tell the shop staff but i may not be able to do that.i feel very guilty later .so i will keep quite mostly.i may do one thing ,i will make the person understand that someone is noticing her so that she may not try that
@manya_pearl (1903)
wah, such a question. you made me confuse how to answer, even thinking the answer... if i see a person shoplifting, i think i just let it happens, there are many cctv in supermarket. i'm just afraid also with that person, how about he/she will follow me after if i interrupt him/her to do such things.
@Modestah (11188)
Depends, I suppose who the culprit is... a child I would report to his/her parents and adult I would probably just stare at and make them realize that they had been seen I would likely also tsk tsk and shake my head unless if the taken item is food I might not do a thing as a starving person must eat too. however, seeing someone stash something does not mean they are not planning on paying for it at the checkout - unless they go out the store without paying - then again in a private shop the person might be one of the family members that own the place and they needn't pay for it - by the way they run things... one store here offers free fruit of choice to children under 14 - my children partake when I shop there and they are with me... someone not knowing of this program might think that my kids are stealing the goods.
@crazynurse (7489)
If I saw someone shoplifting I would very discretely find someone to report the shoplifting to. Shoplifting drives the prices of goods up for all of us and to allow it to continue is like taking money from the pockets of all shoppers. I would not confront the shoplifter as to do so would, as you point out, place me in danger of retaliation.
@Sissygrl (10914)
I wouldnt report anyone for stealing anything.. If they want that on their guilty concience then that is up to them!! And i'm sure they will get caught in time. most people do. And what if they are stealing something they need for their child, because they dont have the money.. Then they went to jail, and their kid went to fostercare or something! omg. i would feel terrible. Not everyone that steals is a bad person i dont think.
@wolfie34 (26790)
If I saw someone steal something like diapers or soap I would actually feel sorry for them, desperate times call for desperate measures and you are right they have security cameras and guards and if they can't do the job, then good luck to them. I would turn a blind eye, the big shops can afford it and besides don't big shops rip us off with highly marked prices? And besides even if you did shop them for stealing, they'd only get a caution and if they see it was you who had shopped them they could get nasty and come after you! Unless they are stealing from you, I wouldn't do anything about it, not my problem!