Anyone have any quick methods of removing pet hair from furniture?

@jovimom (1576)
My dogs are constantly getting hair everywhere in my house. It drives me CRAZY! I just vacuumed my couches today and I guarantee it will be just as bad in the next few days. I was wondering if anyone here on Mylot has a better method of removing pet hair? I've tried the rollers and I waste too many sheets trying to clean my couch. Vacuuming is not exactly a quick way either. I can't get rid of my dog(only 1 is long-haired), so I need to figure something out, Thanks!
@den85730 (51)
I used to steam clean carpet and furniture by steam cleaning. I found steam cleaning and a brush with do the trick. Otherwise, cover your furniture and prevent the hair on your furniture in the first place. Hope this makes your life a little easier.
I use masking tape. It doesn't leave a residue and it grabs all those pesky hairs that are stuck in the fabric.
@jovimom (1576)
I might just try that! I just get so sick of sitting on my couch and a bunch of hair sticking to my clothes!
@cher913 (25865)
what about the wide rolls of masking tape? i think you can pick em up at most dollar stores, would that work? short of that, maybe you should pick up a hand vac??!!
@jovimom (1576)
That's a good idea, never thought of that. I have a hand vacuum, but it won't stay charged for very long, I need to get a new one.
I just use slip covers. I made 3 for my couch and 2 for my loveseat and keep them covered. When the slip covers get too dirty, I just throw them in the washer and put a new one on. They are VERY easy to make. I can't copy and paste yet, but you can just do a search for slip covers and find a lot of different ways to make one. I used a few older plain colored sheets that no longer fit my big bed and used those for the fabric, but you can also buy bolts from the local fabric store or from Wal-Mart and do it then. You will need some safety or some straight pins to pin the area where it needs to be sewn. I'm no Martha Stewart by any means, but I had them pinned and sewn in a matter of hours.
Shave your dog. I shaved mine and amazingly, no more hair on the furniture.
@@ Troll.
@jovimom (1576)
SixPaulEleven, I don't think I could ever make anything like that successfully. I know you can't buy slip covers that would fit our couches because of the recliners in them. I'm glad you figured out how to do it though, you should be proud of yourself. I accidentally marked your comment after the "shave your dog" comment as negative....did not mean to do that. I don't think I can un-do it either, Sorry!
I'm not sure about furniture, but my husband swears that those little koosh-ball toys are amazing at removing pet hair from uniforms. It's a trick he learned in the military. I hope that helps you. Also, there's a "as-seen-on TV" sweeper that has rubber fingers like a koosh-ball that's supposed to be amazing for pet hair. My in-laws use that, and it picks up a lot.
@jovimom (1576)
Interesting, never heard of that before. I did buy something that has rubber ends and looks like a brush, but it doesn't work too well. Do you remember what the "as seen on Tv" sweeper's name was? Thanks so much :)
I found it on asseenontv.com it's called the One Sweep Broom.
@jovimom (1576)
OK Thank-you very much!
@kods104 (49)
When you have 4 legged kids, you have to get use to hair. We have 2 cats & 2 dogs & have tons of hair. The best method I have found to remove hair, is to take a spray bottle, squirt down the cushion, then rub your hand in a circular motion over that area. This will ball up the hair allowing it to be removed easily. I switched to Tuff & Tender last year & prefer it as, it leaves the furniture smelling fresh. I use the same to clean the carpet in my office - I have yet to find a vacumn that will remove the hair as efficiently as this procedure. My dogs are only allowed on our older sofa, which is a 2 piece sectional, I keep it covered with sheets - I can remove them when dirty, wash & dry them & put them back on. This works better than constantly cleaning the hair off the furniture. Good Luck!
@jovimom (1576)
I've never heard of Tuff and Tender, is that just a spray? I am trying to teach our dogs not to fight on our couches downstairs as this is when they get the most hair on the couch. I am always finding hair on our kitchen table, chairs, you name it. Right after wiping the table off, there will be dog hair on it. It didn't use to be this bad, I guess it's just because it's winter time. My cats have never shed as bad as our dog. My other dog doesn't really shed because she's short-haired.
@Linny1 (40)
I use a lint brush..I also drape a sheet over the furniture. You can pick it up and shake it outside very easily and remove it if you get company
@jovimom (1576)
I don't have one of those. I don't know if the sheets would work too well in my house...
@LSweet51 (16)
I had a Golden Retriver with lots of hair. What I did was lightly wet a couple of paper towels and rub the furniture with it. It was unbelieveable the amount of hair I picked up. You should also do this at the bottom of the furniture on the floor. Much hair hides there. Hope it works.
@jovimom (1576)
Thanks for the advice, I may just try that. Thanks for responding :)
@megumiart (3780)
Get one of those sticky rollers. They usually have them at the checkouts at Target, lol. They work really well, plus you can use them on clothes.
@jovimom (1576)
I do buy those and yes they do work well for clothes. I just wanted to find something that I wouldn't have to use so much of in order to clean the furniture...
@jillbeth (2710)
Use a slightly damp sponge and brush it across the surface. It will help roll the hair into a little mass that you can pick off with your fingers. You don't say if you are in the habit of grooming your dogs, but if you brush them daily that will help remove loose hairs that would otherwise end up all over the house!
@jovimom (1576)
Actually, we do brush our sheltie daily, my other dog doesn't hardly shed, she's a puggle. I've tried the damp sponge, but I really want to avoid having to pick it off with my hands. It seems like it takes forever!