Automatic Withdrawals

@worldwise1 (14887)
I just went through an "automatic withdrawal" nightmare that I hope to never experience again. My problem all started when my phone and internet provider attempted to double-bill me for two months in a row. Of course, my financial institution didn't allow it to go through either time. After calling them for the second time last month, I thought the problem was straightened out -wrong! When I logged into my account yesterday to pay my bill, as usual, I found that it was declined. Well, that had me steaming. I got around to phoning them today to ask why my payment was declined, and discovered that my bill was actually paid up. The representative that I spoke to assured me that the problem was now rectified and that my account is current. I do so hope that he was right. I have always been leery of automatic payments, and I'm just wondering if any of you have had a similar experience. I really am considering just having them start sending me the paper bills once again because I don't like unnecessary headaches.
@mummymo (23707)
That is rotten worldwise and so irritating! I haven't had this experience but did have a problem with our energy company recently. We pay our bills by direct debit every month but they had seriously miscalculated what our annual bill would come to so they decided to take over £190 from my partners account without notifying us in any way! Luckily my SIL works in the bank and noticed what was happening - as they had not notified us in anyway the bank could put a stop to the payment and make sure we didn't have any charges because of this! We have now changed energy companies and will keep a close eye on anything unusual happening in our accounts - thank goodness for digital banking! xxx
@worldwise1 (14887)
I think it's great that you actually have the option of a choice of energy companies, mummymo. I don't believe anything like that exists here.
@mummymo (23707)
Seriously? Wow - there are lots of companies we can use and we can get our gas and electricity from different companies. They are expensive enough and we have recently has like 15% price hikes - I cannot imagine how much it would cost if there wasn't competition from other companies! xxx
@winterose (39897)
that certainly can be frustrating, for sure. glad it is fixed up now.
@worldwise1 (14887)
I'm hoping it won't come back to bite me in the butt, winterose, lol. I thought I had the problem solved before and it reared its ugly head once more.
@winterose (39897)
ouch
@stephcjh (32327)
I had to deal with this once before also. I really don't like my money taken straight from my bank because I need to make sure there are funds in there at all times to cover the payment they are taking. I have a couple places though, that demand it withdrawn from my bank. I have had a duplicate withdraw debited from my bank once that made me overdrawn. I was soooo mad. I called my bank and told them what had happened and they reversed the fee. We have to be so careful and watch our bank accounts and statements to make sure we are not getting ripped off LOL.
@worldwise1 (14887)
You're right, stephcjh. I dislike giving someone that much power over my money also. Like you say, I will just have to be more diligent in the future.
@stephcjh (32327)
I hate it the most because we always have to make sure those funds are in there and that it was debited on time without extra fees added on that we didn't know about too.
@suspenseful (40314)
When I decided to pay my cell phone bill automatically, I asked the lady on the other end if they would take double payments since I had enough money in my credit card for that, but she said no, it would be only on the month. So it is usually a mistake, and you have to show proof, and that you did not verify that you wanted two payments ahead of time because you were not planning to go on vacation. I never had it happen to me. I think you should check your contract to see maybe you have checked to pay every two months just in case.
@worldwise1 (14887)
No, suspenseful, because I've had this account for nearly 2 years now and always pay monthly. I think they my be in a dither because of the financial problems they are having.
@lala766 (240)
I only do auto withdrawl for my car insurance. I have online billing where I can go online and make my payments. I have had problems with auto withdrawl in the past. And it takes forever to get your money back and you have to go through a lot of hassle usually to get the double debits reversed.
@worldwise1 (14887)
Tell me about it, lala! I will be keeping a close check on them from now on.
I have had difficulties with automatically paying things, and with automatic shipments of things. I do not even think I can count the times. Phone bill was the worst and I am still not content with it. It is supposed to be a set rate, and it never is. We have done a few things, and our bank is always great to help us out.
@worldwise1 (14887)
I am continually asking myself, GG, what are these people getting paid for? They can't seem to get anything right -thereby causing endless problems for everyone.
@polachicago (19073)
I learned it hard way not to have any automatic withdrawals. Many years ago I was triple charge not just double. Now, I want to pay for everything per charge and invoice only.
@worldwise1 (14887)
I only did it because it seemed simpler, polachicago, but I am now regretting that decision. The funny thing is that I've had this account almost 2 years with no problems until recently.