What was your meanest boss like?

Have you ever had a "mean boss" ? What were they like? I had a mean boss before..IT was very hard.. I remember you had to be so careful what you said or did ..they were easily upset and spouted off often.
@faith210 (11233)
Hi littlefranciscan! 3 years ago, I had this job in a nursing agency. I have this lady boss who just shouts in giving orders but is very sweet when she wants you to take on an assignment that no one wants to really take. I was new in the agency and I was trying to please her so I accept all assignments that is thrown at me. However, one day I have a stomach flu and I am not really feeling well. I called her at dawn to have another health carer replace me but her fone is off. I tried calling her several times until I fell asleep. Early morning she was calling me why I was not on duty and I told her, the reason. She shouted at me and told me why I haven't called her. I told her I called but she kept on using nasty words and screaming at the top of her voice..so I hang up. hehe.. We never settled our differences because I resigned. her secretary kept on calling me to come back but I didn't want to because I don't want to work for a boss who won't listen to her subordinates. And that is just one instance that happened to me when I was working with her, I guess that was the last straw. Just my thoughts. Take care and have a nice day! :)
I agree..The boss has certain responsabilities in keeping things organized and running..but if they break the spirits of their subject the business will not run..because the littleman really keeps the fires burning.
mothers - mothers know best
My current job has been my job since 2000. I teach in one of the universities here in our city. Since 2000, I have had several bosses. I have had 3 deans and around 5 subject heads since then. I know how it is to have a really mean superior. One of the deans I have had has all the mean bones in the world. lol! I think the meanest thing this person ever did, though not to me, was when she apprehended one of my co-teachers simply because the latter had to run home to check on her son who almost cut his finger with broken glass. She was given a memo and she was called to the dean's office. She was told that no matter what emergency takes place she should have never left her class (my co-teacher had to leave her class in the middle of the period because she was called by her mother in law to inform her about the accident at home...). I am not yet a mother but I know exactly how mothers react when they know that their children were hurt or something to that effect. Despite the explanation from my co-teacher, she was still apprehended for it. Mean huh?
@KrauseHome (36750)
I personally think everyone has had what they would consider as a Boss from Hell. I know I have had my share of BAD Bosses, and in time they have had to succumb to being a Boss due to their attitude. One of the worst ones I had, was I was a temporary Dispatch fill-in at the airport back in 2001. One of the other dispatchers that was from another country decided she did not like me, and constantly was causing trouble for me. It got to the point where I had to change my shift even. Problem was something had happened and the Boss instead of listening to me, listened to her, and eventually after I left was FIRED for hiring people from other Countries with expired Visa's etc.
The meanest boss is that boss who never want to hear your side when youre explaining. That person who always think he is right all the time when in fact he is not! That person who never do his or her work properly and yet demand you to be soooo diligent on your work,
@kdhartford (1152)
I have worked with people who are mean spirited and I have worked with people who are tough. I don't think that I ever really had a mean boss, except for myself. I guess in a lot of ways, I am my own toughest critic. Being tough and mean spirited might be determents in normal work places, but they are traits that I encourage. It is impossible to do what I do without developing that thick skin and I would rather loose people than encourage someone who can not handle it to be a leader...believe me they will get a lot worse than I can ever give them.
@maximax8 (30099)
Most head teachers can be mean. One was moaning that one of the children in my class was going on holiday in term time. Then she was wishing the family to have an excellent time. I thought that the little girl would gain much imagination from visiting Disneyland. She had two sides to her, one nice and one nasty. She was rude about someone behind their back but in front of them. One teacher liked some members of staff and hated other members of staff. She didn't like one teacher that took some days off due to poor health. This teacher had a child in her class being sick so she sent another child with a note to the teacher next door. It asked if she had a bucket. But the head teacher saw it and through a metal bucket at the teacher she hated. At meetings the head teacher thought only what she thought mattered. When that head teacher retired an even worse one began. She removed all the book shelfs from the corridor. Teachers had to rescue as many books as possible and bring them into the classrooms. She children's reading suffered. She was two faced as well. People had to be careful what they said to her. She often came to work on a motor cycle. She was unusual.
@coffeeshot (3786)
Yes- and I just quit my job there about 2 weeks ago. I'd only been there for about 5 months. He was quite nice at first but some of the other employees there warned me that after a few months he'd start to get narky. I really didn't believe this until it started happening. He'd just make small comments here and there about 'not having things organised' and 'this is your fault'. He'd really put us down and make us feel like rubbish. Whenever something bad happened, he'd always find someone else to blame it on. His wife wasn't much better. One day a couple weeks ago she wanted to 'chat' with me. After telling me off for a myriad of things, she said 'is there anything you'd like to say to me?' I burst into tears and told her everything about what I thought of her and her husband. From how they make me feel useless to how her husband has a communication problem. She got uncomfortable and walked off and I grabbed my bag and left there. Since then, I've learned that in the last 5 years, they've gone through 50 receptionists! and one girl who's been there for less than a year has seen 3 employees tell him to 'get lost' but using much worse language. Currently my fiance is having trouble with his manager. It's not pleasant and because I know how he feels I am encouraging him to get a transfer from there. I think when people are put in a position of authority, they can sometimes abuse their power and go power tripping. It's terrible but I hope that no one puts up with it. The best thing you can do is stand up for yourself, and when you hand in your resignation notice, let your boss know why you're leaving and tell him exactly what you think.
@ayou82 (3460)
I had a boss and I really couldnt stand her anymore..I really walked out and leave the job because im not her slave.
@mimatexas (1835)
I had a mean boss when I used to work in Laredo, Tx. He would really question if I got sick and would time us out our work. He would put a burden under one old lady so she would quit and not receive retirement benefits.
Yes I have had a mean boss. I was lucky because in the years that I have been working it has been only once. It is pretty bad when you are talking to a boss and trying to tell them your side of the story of a situation and they refuse to listen. The other person had no facts to back them up. He was basically bosses pet and anytime he said something about anyone the boss always listened to him and not the other person. My co-workers and I talked about it and came to the conclusion that he was a spy placed in the middle of us workers. Because the boss would listen to no one when he had said something about the other person.