Best exercise for senior person at home - with fast result

@LittleMel (14036)
Do you know what is the best exercise for a senior age person at home that will give the results fast? I heard about Taichi and I'm sure yoga or similar will work for any age, but can you suggest different ones? I'm not that age yet and most people older than I over here will go fishing, play golf, go bowling or billiard (I don't even think those are exercises? Golf surely is, though) which are not home exercise
@speakeasy (4215)
For seniors you do not want the types of exercise that promise "fast results". Those exercises are too extreme and can cause more damage to a senior than a younger person. The best exercises for seniors are: Tai Chi Pilates Swimming Walking and in that order. Tai chi is the best; it is gentle and slow. It increases balance which decreases the risk of falling. It maintains a full range of joint movement and can actually stop arthritis from getting worses. It can stop and actually reverse osteoporosis. It stimulates circulation throughout the body and strenthens a person's immune system. It is extremely low impact and can be practiced even if a person has other health conditions. Pilates is almost as good as tai chi. Swimming is a good form of exercise for th eentire body an dit is low impact; but, you do need to have access to a pool or other place to swim on a regular basis. Walking is simple and easy to do; plus, it strengthens the cardio vascular system; but, it does nothing for joint flexability, arthritis, etc.
@LittleMel (14036)
a very thorough response thank you so much walking is something they do often, pilates and taichi I think will take a while for me to convince them to do it still thank you for the response!
@speakeasy (4215)
Another good thing about tai chi and pilates is simply that even though it is best to learn them in a class, they require little to no "equipment" and they can be done anywhere at any time. If there are no classes in your area, there are both videos and books that will help you learn them. But, if possible, taking a class is best because it lets the senior for social connections with classmates and it offers them support and encouragement. All of these help the senior "stick to the program".
@LittleMel (14036)
thanks again for the info still no luck in getting them to exercise but I will keep trying
@chrislotz (8200)
I'm not quite there yet either but I am getting close. I will be 51 this year and I have noticed that I am getting lazier each day. I have gained a few extra pounds and I would like to start doing some light exercises and loose those extra pounds. I think fishing is okay but not neccessarlily exercise. golf would definitly be exercise because of all the walking involved, but I have played the game and I don't enjoy it. I love to play billards and play often but again that isn't really exercise either. Bowling would be light exercising since you are moving around and throwing a ball. Another thing you might wnat to do is get a stable bike and do some riding at home. Or/and a treadmill and do some walking on it. I also would like to start doing yoga so I think I will be buying a DVD and try that at home.
@LittleMel (14036)
no he plays golf too but too expensive so he can't do it often. I'm thinking of getting him treadmill but there is no space at home now
@gtargirl (5385)
Well, I don't know if I'm at that "age" yet. How old is that age? LOL. I usually do about 30 minutes on my treadmill. It makes me feel good afterward. I would walk outside but I'm so self-concious. However, I have always wanted to try Yoga. That stretching stuff has to be good.
@LittleMel (14036)
I mean senior age I'm not even 40
If you can afford a treadmill that would be a good way to exercise at home. My grandma walks or runs every day on hers. If you have stairs you could use them as exercise. You could rent or buy exercise videos to use at home. I have Blockbuster online and get movies shipped to my door. For a time I was renting exercise videos and they have a great selection!!
@LittleMel (14036)
I don't think I can afford treadmill and even worse there is no place at home for it
@polachicago (19073)
It all depends on person age and health condition. The best of all is to take a walk every single day. I wouldn't recommend jogging for people older than 75... At home climbing stairs, sitting single leg raises. Arm lifting is very important. Use a weighted object such as a book or can of vegetables (not more than five pounds). Stand or sit erect with arms at sides, holding weighted object. Bend your arm, raising the weight. Lower it. (Can be done seated.) Suggested repetitions: 10-15 each arm.
@LittleMel (14036)
we do have stairs so I can suggest her to do that
@danzer (2731)
Some of the exercises for seniors can be walking. If you can still jog, that would be better. Household chores can be a form of exercise!
@LittleMel (14036)
this senior person used to jog but I'd like exercise she can do at home
They have these little peddle exercise bikes that you can sit down and peddle. You can watch television or do reading while you are peddling. They are really great and the person gets the exercise they need. I know this is four months ago but I thought it might be something that could be tried. Here is the link so you can see what I am talking about. http://www.firststreetonline.com/product.jsp?id=45349&promotion=86072&gclid=CInljcHLz5MCFRQXsgodo2xwjg
@LittleMel (14036)
thanks for the link
Your Welcome. I hope it helps.
@suspenseful (40314)
I do a lot of walking. It also depends on how healthy you are. What I do is walk very fast, and then run for one minute and walk a bit more. You can also use a treadmill or a stationery bicycle. What you have to do is to get moving and for that walking is the best. And if you can go faster, race walking, but I would not do jogging as it is hard on the knees.
@LittleMel (14036)
well he does walk, but very rare I have to push him to do it