What do parents here on Mylot think of your child having a Myspace?

@jovimom (1576)
My son is 12 and I just found out he has a Myspace page. I made him give me his log-in info so I could check his page out. Looks harmless enough, a few of his other friends also have pages including one of the friends moms. I sent them all friend requests,lol! I helped him download some pic's of our pets for his profile pictures. What are everyone else's views on this?
My daughter can have one but only if I have complete access to it and she makes you need her last name or email to request to be her friend and she doesn't post any person information on it.
@jovimom (1576)
He doesn't have much info on there. And of course, he lied about his age in order to create a myspace in the 1st place...
@maddysmommy (16233)
If my son wanted to have one when he got older then that would be ok with me as long as I had access to his page. I would make sure we both went through the steps together and ensure that he knew about internet safety and what not to put on his page and so forth like personal details. I would probaby suggest that he makes his page private and that he only adds friends and family members that he knows. I would want him to be open to me about things like this beforehand though instead of finding out after the fact.
@jovimom (1576)
We've told him not to accept any friend requests unless he knows for sure who it is. I told him also not to post bulletins, that's how my account got hacked into. Never had any problems until I posted a bulletin, I don't go on my Myspace very often though, most of my friends are Bon Jovi fans :)
@maddysmommy (16233)
I actually ended up deleting my account because I belong to a few others that I feel are much user friendly. :)
If children are going to hae their own spaces on the internet, regardess of the website, they are going to have to learn certain lessons, like not to give out personal information, and if parents prefer, not to have their pictures on there, or if there will be pictures on there, they will need to know what is and what is not appropriate. A parent is the best person to teach them that, BEFORE the fact, before they create the page.
@jovimom (1576)
Yeah, I wish he would've asked before hand. The only pic's he has are of our animals and I monitor his page as well.
@carmelanirel (20979)
Well for one, I think the fact that your son went behind your back instead of asking was wrong. And you have to be 14 to have a myspace, so he not only didn't ask you, but probably lied about his age to get an account. My daughter got hers when she was 16, and she was only allowed if her profile was set to private and then I set up an account and became her friend so I could keep track of what she was doing.. Now she is 18, but on her own, she also included the option for knowing her last name or e-mail address before requesting her.. (Oh, I forgot, I would have allowed my daughter to have one at 14, but we didn't have a computer until she was 16.) So, as long as he is underage, I would keep a sharp eye on who he is contacting and who is contacting him..
@jovimom (1576)
Yeah I wasn't very happy that he set one up w/o asking first. He did it on his PSP at first, cause he doesn't really have internet on his computer. For right now, he is blocked from using our wireless signal whatsoever because he gave our code to one of his friends...I do monitor what he does on there though, you never know about weirdos these days...
Well you could as a parent have his profile deleted. You just have to get his password first, which may be more hassle than it is worth, so keeping an eye on him might be good enough..
@miamilady (4924)
As long as you make sure you have his password and he doesn't mind you checking it out from time to time you should be okay. Both my children have them. I've giving you advice with hindsight. I don't have their passwords. A lot of the kids put racy pictures on there and they do send private messages in addition to their public comments. I highly recommend that you closely monitor him. Take care.
@jovimom (1576)
Oh yes, I will definitely be monitoring his every move on there...
yes!!!!!
@moneyandgc (3430)
My stepdaughters have a myspace page and they are 10 and 8 years old (they live with their mom). My sons are the same age and asked a couple of days ago if they could have one because their friends do. Both their dad and I told them no. We both think they are too young. They definitely don't need a myspace page at their ages. I'm not sure when we will allow them to have one but not anytime soon.
@jovimom (1576)
See, I do wish my son would've asked first, cause I probably would've said no, but now that he has one, I notice all of his friends do too and they are all on my friend list so I can check up on him and his friends :)
@fec139 (812)
keep that login info and log on regularly. Check what he is doing on there, and to whom he is talking. He may be totally innocent, but others are not!
@madlees (1381)
My kids learnt computer first and I have known all these things for the last three years. My son had this when he was 15 and he had friends then. I had no knowledge of these things and had never interfered. Maybe GOD helped me but mykids (Now they are grownups) never went wrong.. I am happy for that. Even if they had I wouldn't know how to correct them ..
Hey there Jovi..i dont see anything wrong i guess for a 12 year old having a myspace acct..but..u bet ur bum i will go and buy this program that lets u know everything that goes on with the pc..passwords user ids everything.my g/f just bought this for her kids..they supoosedly gave her there information and what not yo her and she says and here to find out they both had other ids she knew nothing about..And its sooo easy to go to a library even and make new emails and new accts for everything easier than doing it at home too..which scares the hell outa me..although myspace has gotten way better than they were its still easy to lie and say ur 18..and get adult accts..soo thats what im gona do buy the program when hes old enough thank goodness i have some years left hes only 5 lol..but i wil monitor everything he does and check in on him all the time..and i dont care many people will say im over protective..but i watch dateline and have seen the scum lookin for young prey..and my son wont be one of them..
hmm .. well 12 is a young age .. but i myself started when i was 14 (im 18 now) ... but i told my dad when i started, for he has been using it for long and just told me a few things that i need to keep in mind .. such as ask him before adding a random stranger, personal information, downloadin through links etc etc .. i came out fine :) !!
• Lithuania
Is it bad that your child has a Myspace page?
• Lithuania
Isn't it bad?