Can you live without Cable?

@LittleMel (14036)
I am not much of TV watcher, so eliminating Cable won't be much of a problem. My husband may choose to stick with basic cable just so he has something to watch on TV or play bingo. What about you?
@pyewacket (44031)
I'm not much of a TV viewer either, and only watch a little late at night, but more likely will put in one of my DVD movies on to watch...I've been without cable for well over a year...had to cut a lot of corners and expenses and cable was the first to go... I do miss it, as I did enjoy watching the Discovery, History and Bravo channels...oh, well, maybe one day can get it again
Girl you're missing Dirty Jobs on Discovery, Ax Men on History, and Top Chef on Bravo. 'Cause we know that is what you'd be watching.
@webeishere (36353)
I love Dirty Jobs. One of my fave shows is How It's Made. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@LittleMel (14036)
yes there are some shows I will miss too but even these shows I only watch a couple of times in a month so I know I will be Ok without
@polachicago (19073)
I don't watch TV and I don't have cable. I watch my spending and cable is too expansive for watchers like me and my boyfriend. I have unfinished remodeling. I can not afford to spend $600 a year on cable... Last time I watched TV was in July 2007 and last Saturday for 15 minutes. I don't miss TV at all, so cable would be like washing money in the toilet...
$600 a year on cable?! Shoot, I wouldn't be able to afford that either. It must be cheaper here.
@polachicago (19073)
I used to pay over $50 per month times 12 months = $600 per year. I didn't count taxes. I always count my spending per year, easier to save money on stupid spending.... Now I found that having home delivery is cheaper than going shopping, because of gasoline prices. Shopping on line is much cheaper too(in most cases)....
@LittleMel (14036)
we spend more than 600/ yr for cable including tax we could just keep basic but in our case it's a waste already since nobody watches TV much there must be some great TV shows on DVD we can buy
@cripfemme (7713)
I like to write to the TV, so it would be a problem for me. Plus you have to have fancy cable in order to get high speed internet, which I need to do my job(s) well. Dial up would drive me insane and I eould be nearly as productive.
@LittleMel (14036)
write to the TV?
@cripfemme (7713)
I write and post with the TV on; it stimulates my muse.
@Grandmaof2 (7603)
I could eazily live without a TV if I lived alone but hubby would be a basket case without a television and a remote to hold on to.
@LittleMel (14036)
:):) basket case mine would probably find other things to do if we have no tv cable
I haven't had cable for over 15 years and I don't really miss it too much. We have cable at the gym that I go to as well as other places, so I know I'm not missing much. With all these shows coming out on DVD and sites that stream TV shows, and regular TV, I seem to get more TV than I can watch.
@LittleMel (14036)
true, there are sites that stream shows I didn't bookmark them but I will next time
@missbdoll (1168)
I've never had cable, even thou a lot of people out here do, I only know 2 or 3 people that had it, and now they've all got rid of it.
@LittleMel (14036)
I always surf internet and buy DVDs, some famous shows are available in DVDs I know I can live without cable
@skbh12 (2950)
yep i can.. my tv most of the time wont turn on whenever it is used for like hours. haha.. i can live without it because it diverts my attention to just browse through the internet. well without cable? that would be boring if i only watch local shows.. of course i also want to watch movies through hbo. for example movies i wasnt able to watch in the movie theatres..
@skbh12 (2950)
oh now ive seen my reputation. hehe.. how do you get a hundred? do you have to post a lot of threads here in a day to get a hundred reputation?
@skbh12 (2950)
oh im so sorry.. ive written it in a wrong thread.. waaah! my bad.. haha. i wasnt looking and i have too many tabs for mylot. haha! sorry again..
@LittleMel (14036)
we can watch movies on TV through pay per view program for extra fee but we buy DVDs so not worth it
I don't watch tv at all i just had a mvoe i watch there during my vacation i try to watch it but i find it boring . i like watching movies and i ahve over 900 dvd i don't get bored watching movies over and over
@LittleMel (14036)
wow 900 is a lot we have probably close to 100 for now
i have foreign channels and i connect with most tv station because of school i hate it but I have got to do with those. actually in the end i don't know what to watch i some times try Anderson copper 360 degrees
• Egypt
ok when i got the cable i used to sit 10-14 hrs/7 days in front of the tv watching it but now i don't know what happen i just began to hate the TV and the cable so now i sit 2-3 hrs/1 weak :D
@LittleMel (14036)
sounds like big transformation :) I don't like watching TV as much but I can't say I hate it I just prefer spending time somewhere else
i watch tv just to keep my time going especially when we are bored certain channel give us knowledge and his help for children
@LittleMel (14036)
I like History and Discovery but then again I found sources online too
@devideddi (1436)
My friend just spent $400.00 on an old past due and reconnect and first mth cable bill to get his cable back on. I was flabber-gasted! (If that is a word) I could not believe it. I have cable and my daughter loves the disney channel. But I could and would do without it in a heartbeat!!
@LittleMel (14036)
even for past due, reconnect and first month altogether $ 400 still sounds a lot. but then again I don't know how much is his monthly bill, he might get deluxe package which is more expensive
@chrislotz (8200)
I think I would miss it if I didn't have it anymore, since I watch a few soaps during the day when I am home, not working. But in the evenings I wouldn't miss it because I very seldon watch TV in the evenings. My husband and I are usually doing something else, like playing cards, or playing pool. I don't know what a basic cable includes so I don't know if that would be enough for me to get my soap channels on.
@LittleMel (14036)
I don't remember watching soaps but I might many years ago and not much interest in them
No, I think I could not live without a cable subscription. TV and the computer are my ways of entertainment, as I really don't go out that much. I can say that I am a couch potato, a home buddy. I remember when we moved out from the city and transfer to the province (btw I am from the Philippines) it took almost a week for our cable tv to be installed. I actually cried out of frustration as I thought that it would be connected immediately. Most of my favorite shows are from cable, and in my location right now if I were to use an antenna, it would be just be around 4 to 5 channels that would be detected . Luckily dsl service is okay here and the cellphone signal too.
@LittleMel (14036)
I know how it feels I am addicted to internet too but somehow I am not to TV, although I do like some shows
If I watch t.v. at all it is news, or discovery/history channel. It is usually on for back ground noise though. I could live happily with out cable though. I guess I had it drummed into my head that t.v. is bad for ya, so Ias a kid I would either be outside, or read.
@LittleMel (14036)
background noise lol that's what my hubby does sometimes too he turns it on but doesn't watch it I wonder why he turns it on in the first place
I could do without it.. but not without cable internet! I dont watch TV too much. The only channel I use is TLC- The Learning Channel. I mostly glance at the TV, while surfing the net or mylotting.
@LittleMel (14036)
I think I watched TLC a couple of times only don't remember what the show was
@mommye (169)
I couldn't live without it because my internet runs off the cable. Since I work at home having internet at a fast speed is a necessity for me. As for Cable TV, it is the only thing I watch.
@LittleMel (14036)
I have a small business at home too and my internet doesn't run off cable so not having TV cable is not big problem
@gtargirl (5385)
Well, we have Dish and I don't think I would do away with it. Am I correct to say that either this month or next no one will be able to watch unless you have cable or some sort of dish network? Plus the old sets will be obselete. That's what I'm hearing anyhow.
@LittleMel (14036)
maybe. I never heard of that but I may have missed it.
@webeishere (36353)
While I don't have cable I do have Direct TV Sattelite service. I could do without it and watch the regualr local channels. But my dad would be lost withoput it though as he loves his nature shows on National Geopgraphic TV and Animal Planet. he also loves the games show channel. Plus all the sports like boxing and mostly wrestling he would miss. So I would say NO I can't do without my Satellite TV service. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
@LittleMel (14036)
oh yes I love History and Animal shows but still I watch TV like twice in a month so I know I won't miss them unless I can't get them online or DVD
I could live without cable, but I don't want to. I have reasons though, since I am familiar with doing with cable earlier on in my life. Sometimes I'm too sick to get out of my apartment for days. And during those times, TV has helped me keep my sanity. Often I can't read because of my headaches, and I can't sit at the computer. So having several channels to choose from has been an asset to me.
@LittleMel (14036)
yes my eyes are sore too using pc too long but it also happens when I watch TV so much
Cable I could live without. I like very few programs. I detest game shows, reality shows, talk shows and the like. That seems to be the fad now and it is zzzz so boring to me. You can take my TV away but not my computer!!!! I am an addict and would miss it terribly. I guess in time I would learn to adapt.
@LittleMel (14036)
Yep they can take my cable away but not my Internet