help for the disabled, - new robot design

@winterose (39897)
scientist have developed a robot that can fetch an item for you just by a click, this sounds wonderful and could help a whole lot of disabled people, what are your thoughts, if you were disabled would you want this robot? If you were disabled would you have the means to get it http://www.lifenews.com/state3038.html
@bbsr13 (4198)
Hello,winterose! I don't really understand how the disabled people will be benefited as all such people may not be financially sound to purchase for them.ultimately it will be maintained by the rich people and ultimately that will ruin their health as they will not be required to do every domestic work manually.everything will be done by the robot in a rich family and in no way it will serve the purpose of the disabled for whom it is originally designed.thank you.
@winterose (39897)
right now it is new technology and eventually certain people will qualify just like certain people quality to get wheel chairs now from their insurance company etc.
Hi winterose :-) The link you gave doesn't go to the robot story. Perhaps they changed the story? Anyway, I was kind of disabled for about a month. I had thrown out my back showing my daughter how to do an exercise. I definitely could have used a robot to help fetch things for me. I do have family members - but at the time they were quite active in sports outside of the home. So, I'd be stuck in bed or a chair unable to move unless I crawled along the floor. And my white westhighland terrier is too small to get me anything. lol
@winterose (39897)
I am so sorry it doesn't go to the robot story, same thing happened yesterday in one of my posts. I think it would be a godsend too.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
My mom would love this robot since she has a deteriorating hip, She can still get around okay but is in a little pain some. It is great that they are coming up with things so that people can be a little independent and not have to rely on others to do everything. I have heard they have trained monkeys that are small and cute to be able to help disabled people the monkey can do alot. But also cost alot. My sister in law has a son with autism and she is trying to purchase a dog that will help him in his everyday life they cost 10,000 usually but she found one for 3,000 We are now trying to get the funds up for the dog. I think this is really great though about the robot.
@theprogamer (10539)
The real story is here http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/66061.php I remember seeing this one. It'd be great if those that need it were able to get it. However, the main issues that arise for me is the cost for one as technology costs a lot on debut, and viability(how long it'll work). The robot design works like an "exoskeleton" which responds to the users EEG/motor function signals. Kind of like cybernetics-"lite". It should be interesting to see these things become a bit more common in medicine and society. There are also other possibilities for the suit/robot, like physical rehab and even exercise. If I was disabled, I wouldn't write off getting one, but it could be difficult.
@stephcjh (32327)
For those people who are disables and all alone, I think it would be a great thing for them. some of them are still independent though, Some of them may want their loved ones to care for them if they can. If I was all alone and didn;t want to burden my loved ones, I would consider the robot if I could afford it.