If you were the owner of an apartment complex

What would you do if you had squatters living on the property? Many of these renters are finding it harder to cover the rent. The prices of the rent is just getting higher. What is a person to do in this case of not getting rent. We all know how hard it is to get someone out in Ny. And how easy it is to get someone out in Florida. What about where you live?
@carolbee (16231)
Where I live if a tenant doesn't pay the rent, they are notified. Next a late fee is added onto the rent for the month. Depending on the policy of the complex, the renters might come home one day and find their personal belongings on the front lawn and the locks changed. This leaves the tenant no choice but to move. If I owned a complex, some of the same rules would have to apply but would consult with an attorney before buying any property. The rules and laws can only be bent for so long and then some action needs to be applied.
@ElicBxn (61148)
Well, I don't know too much about evicting people from apartments, but I do know that the people that used to be upstairs from my client got evicted and locked out.
Now that was a horrible feeling for them to go through. I know very well how it feels.
@ElicBxn (61148)
I'm sure they were well warned before the eviction happened. I know apartment complexes would rather have you paying rent than having to get someone out.
@zeloguy (4913)
I haven't heard of any problems here is central Florida. The thing with rental prices is they skyrocketed as housing prices went up and then came back down and now that people with ARMS on their homes are having to foreclose they are going back to living in apartments and that is driving prices up again. The market here is one of the worst in the nation (for housing) and the one bright spot I see is condos and that might be the saving grace out of all this mess that I hear nothing about on the news... home ownership with the size of an apartment... what a lot of people should have done in the first place who didn't have the money to afford a conventional loan... but that is for another discussion. Thanks Zelo
My daughter wants us to move back to Miami. I told her there is noway to do that. She can go to college there but for me to move back no. I want to move to Port St lucie. There it's a bit better and Naples is just beautiful as well. But way too richy for my income.
@gxnfly (1147)
Well,I am not rich enough to own an apartment complex,I am just able to cover the rent .The apartment owner I know is very harsh to those who can't cover the rent.They just throw out your stuff,then you are out.They have so many apartment to conduct and so many people want to live in,they have no worries about their apartment being not rented. As myself ,if I can't afford the rent,then I just move to a cheaper place,I don't want to be the one kicked out by the no mercy landlord.
That would be the civilized thing to do. Good for you. I am moving out of this hell hole I live is too.
@gabrielle47 (1221)
Well you are not alone in that case Gifts. I know a lot of people who have property and not even apartments who have squatters. Here in our country a lot of people suffer in many ways in similar situation as you. But I guess if you have a contract with them, its easy for you to let them out if they have not been paying well and up to date in your apartment. Some people ask the help of authorites to let the people not payign rent out of their properties. Most often, some people ask for sympathy in their situation but they dont understand the owner's situation as well. Like for some its their only source of income. Others, well good that they comply to leave. You can ask for the authority's help to evict the renters if they have not been keeping with the rent payments. For us, we talk first to the renters and if they bargain and make promisory regarding the payment, we reconsider and have a heart first then if they they dont keep up to their word, we ask them to leave in a gentle manner. But if they are the hard talkers, then authorities would do them good. Good luck and hope it resolves soon.
I don't own any property myself. I was simply asking a question after watching a show on tv. Thanks so much
@crazed_moma (1054)
Help them apply for state aid? Kick them out? After all if you aren't recieving rent then you may just have to shut the whole thing down and kick EVERY ONE out....
@winterose (39895)
I am paying rent now I cannot afford, so If I can do it, if I was a appartment owner I would get the police to evict the squatters, I am also living on air because all my money goes to my rent
@sedel1027 (17851)
I don't know what the squatters rights are down here. I would think that they are in favor of the property owners just because of how many homeless people are 100% on the streets. If I had squatters, I would get rid of them as quickly as I could. I know some people are on tough time but on the same note, I can not have squatters or people who do not pay rent on my property scaring away renters or potential renters.
well here in arkansas it is very easy. you give 3 notices of none pymt. like here rent is due on the 1st no later then the 3rd. on the 4th 5th and 6th you get a notice to either pay or leave. then on the 7th we go up and file with the courts and they are served and have 10 days to get out. if they are not out then the serriff comes out and removes them. now if they contest it they have to go to the courthouse within the 10 days and file that they are contesting it then you are in court with in 15 days of recieving the ntice. if they dont show up for court they are removed and you can garninsh wages. if they show up and cant prove that they should get to stay they are to be iout in 24 hours. i have rentals here and we have alot of deadbeats.
No I am not one but, I know that is probably a task to take on something that hard. It would be hard for me to throw out people especially if they are really trying, so I do not know if I would take on a position like this.
@Guardian208 (1095)
In my business I help people finance commercial properties. Most of these people are not making a ton of income from the rent. In most cases they make enough from the rents to cover their mortgage, insurance, maintenance and have a little bit to set aside for turnover and vacancies. Most are positioned not to make money from the rents but to make money off of the appreciation of the property. Don't get me wrong, there are those that own the propery outright or have low mortgage payments who make money off of the rents but they are the minority. If there are people in the property that are not paying rent, it is very probable that the rent amount is coming out of their personal pocket or from their working capital account for the property. If that is the case, they will not have the funds available to handle the regular maintenance or any unusual expense that may arise. Getting rid of the squatters is imperative. And it has to happen as fast as the law allows. if not, the property will begin to run down and it then becomes a less desirable location and that is not good for the owner or the current residents. It may sound cold but the apartment complex is a business not a charity. If the renters have fallen on bad times, there are many charities that can provide assistance.
@2btrueinu (703)
Here if we can't talk in the nice way then we can get assistance from the lawyer. And we file a case to that squatters the lawyer is the one who will take care of everything. We own a property but thanks God that I don't have any problem about it. We made a contract for 1 year renewable if I don't like the renter then I will not renew the contract.
If I was an apartment owner and there were squatters living on the property I will speak to them nicely that they should leave the property and find a new home. I will give them a month to vacate the place and I will find a place for them as well or talk to someone who'll be able to help them because I know that they will be stubborn to move.
@gardengrrl (1445)
In the State of Delaware, a landlord can put you out in about 60-75 days if you don't pay rent. Many landlords hand out a list of social agencies and charities that can help people get caught up with their bills. A landlord can only be as flexible as their mortgage will allow. Many people have suffered losses from not being able to pay on the rental loan when the tenants get behind. A tenant in arrears is different from a squatter. Squatters have no legal or contractual relationship with the property owners, and usually are trespassing. I guess there's a hybrid, too, people who rent places they know they can't keep just to get a roof over their heads for a few weeks. If I were the landlord, I guess I'd be as helpful as I could, but in the end, I'd have to evict the non-payers in order to preserve the residence of the folks who do pay.