Thought I should share this ...

@ebsharer (5516)
The other day, someone at a store in a small town read that a methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farm house in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, "Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?" I responded that we did have a drug problem when we were kids growing up on the farm or in the city. I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Saturday/Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather. I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher. Or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me. I was drug to the kitchen sink if I uttered a profane four letter word. (I do know what Lye soap tastes like.) I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields. I was drug to the homes of Family, Friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothes line or chop some fire wood, and if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the wood shed. Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack or heroin, and if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America might be a better place today. I have to say I agree 100% - What do you think??
@Chey1970 (1193)
I had this sent to me via email a couple of months back, and I totally, completely, 100% agree. Things were truly different back when I was growing up, compared to the generation of kids now a days.
@ersmommy1 (12596)
There may be a certain truth in that. I do teach my child to be respectful. To use her manners,please and thank you. At 4 1/2 I think we are setting a good example. And we do take an active roll in her daily goings on. There are consequences for actions. Loss of toys, tv privleges, time out in the corner. Not very easy for me to spank. I think more family time, less time in front of video games and really communicating is an answer.