life after an addiction!!!

@BYOLA2871 (4373)
South Africa
I have seen so many people get addicted to so many things in life and i also know that any addiction can become a source for destruction but i have found that the kind of addiction that seems to give pleasure while destroying both the body and menatl capacity is drugs(dope)now i have read so many things on how to cope with addiction and have seen many people go through rehabilitation programs,but my question is how easy is it really to cope and adjust to life after addiction,is it possible to lead a normal life again?
@mbs730 (2151)
Congrats for beating it. I am working on mine which is food! It takes work and dedication to beat it and I find myself falling back into it but its less and less every time if I do. And its so true, it does destroy your mind and spirit and everything else.
@mbs730 (2151)
All addictions are hard no matter what you are addicted to. The biggest problem with food addiction is, you NEED to eat but choosing to eat the right foods AND portions (which is even harder) is the biggest challenge. But either way, no matter what you are addicted to, you have to find out why you are addicted to whatever substance you are in the first place and agree to work on fixing it... so good for you for freeing yourself from it. Life must be more fulfilling, I am better with it but I am still struggling...
@stephcjh (32327)
I'm not really sure because I have never been an addict. I know fo some people who have been an addict and it is a daily struggle for them to stay on the right path and make it in life and society. It is not an easy thing for them at all.
@BYOLA2871 (4373)
• South Africa
yes after a stint of addiction it may really be tougher to stay clean than getting out of the habit ,its really a patthetic case but nt an iimpossible one
I am one of those people that have delt with addiction.I was addicted to herion and oxycotin for 12 yrs.I am only 25 so I spent most of my young years high.It absolutly ruined my life.I am now clean and have been for nine months.I went to rehab and it helped me.It teaches you a whole new way to live.I think it isn't always easy to adjust to the sober life.It took me awhile to feel comfortable back in society.i had been locked up off and on this hole past year when finaly I got into rehab.Where im from it is almost impossible to find a rehab that has empty beds.So when you do you take full advantage of it.But I can say there is life after addiction.For me I try and lead as normal life as possible,but there are things I have to deal with that others don't.And the only person I have to blame is me...
@BYOLA2871 (4373)
• South Africa
thanks for giving me a response that comes from someone who has been there i salute your courage to come out to say it,and am so happy that gradually you are adjusting,wow,9 months is a great success,i hope ypu will help others who are out there having related problems,they will find it easy to relate to you
@checapricorn (16065)
It is as long as there is determination and willingness to do so. I have known someone who surpass a trials like this, He was so lucky since his parents were there to support him all the way to changes. He said it was really hard but every time there is an urge to use it back, he will just divert his attention as eat a lot, stay in the shower a lot and etc . Lately, I've heared that he was able to finish his college and got married now! Everything is possible when one is willing to take a major changes in his life and all the people around him is very supportive and understanding, its hard to do it alone I guess!