Autism?

@myrith (1830)
Do you think Autism treatments should be covered by Medicare?
@sedel1027 (17851)
There is a lot of things that should be covered by all medical insurance that is not. I believe that any treatment that can help someone who is disabled overcome that disability should be covered by medical insurance.
@myrith (1830)
That's how the Government plays with people's lives, they play God, a treatment like that should be covered in any state or part of the world, after all it's the child that benefits from this help.
@minnie_98214 (10572)
Autism should be covered by medicare im surprized its not. But im partial as my son has Autism so of course I will think it should be covered. My insurance thankfully covers all his therapys and stuff for the most part.
@myrith (1830)
I dont know where you are, but it's not covered here, a debate is going on as to whether or not it should be covered, which I think it should for the good of the child.
I do not think it should be covered. There are no treatments for Autism; Everything out there treats the sometimes associated problems with autism, and those can be covered by insurances. For example; My son doesn't cross midline, which causes pain in his legs, knees and hips. He does get occupational and physical therapies to help decrease these problems (a 3 year old's knee should not be swollen on a daily basis). I could go more into this explaination, but it would be very long. A child who doesn't speak is entitled to speech services, but not because they are autistic, because they have no words. If a broad coverage for Autism was covered, what would they pay for? Not all autistic children need the same things. And unless the therapy is helping in a specific area, it doesn't need to be done. In my case, unless something is harming my children, they don't get therapy for it, like my son's hip problems. If an autistic child has such severe sensory issues, they can't function at all, occupational therapy should be covered, but again not because the child is autistic, because the sensory issues are preventing learning and living.
@Foxxee (3653)
Don't compare your sons hip/knee problem to an Autistic childs needs. All autistic children/adults need therapy. It's a life long thing. And yes all health insurance should help pay for it up until S.S.I kicks in. Yes all Autistic children are different, but the one thing they have in common is they all need therapy.
@Thoroughrob (11748)
I do think they should be covered. It is a medical issue that needs to be addressed.
@myrith (1830)
Thank you, I agree also.
@Foxxee (3653)
I believe all health insurance should help with the cost of therapy for Autistic children/adults. I know Medicaid helps to an extent. Right now we are getting help for our son, but only up until age 3. As far as any other insurance helping with Autism, well I think thats where S.S.I/S.S.D.I should step in. All Autistic children/adults qualify for S.S.I./S.S.D.I. That alone should help out a lot on the cost of therapy for an Autistic child/adult. And when you say treatments, do you mean therapy?