Second hand items or what I call it Blessings

I am shopping free soon - How can you not make ends meet with free stuff?
We are all looking for ways to cut costs [b]DOWN[/b. I am moving out of my shack of an apt. I was talking to my sister and brother. He is moving out of his place of ten years. he has beautiful furniture he recently bought. Now he wants new furniture. I told him he was wasting so much money. I guess he has it to waste. While crying broke all the time. I find there are many ways to not spend money. I am hoping you can help me here. I think buy things used or getting them free can help. I would buy second hand.. Clothing furniture collectibles even some house furnishings like frames and lamps. When I move to my new apartment. I am shopping free from free cycle. How can you make a deal on free or second hand shopping?
@linda345 (2661)
I like to check out the site kijiji. There maybe one in your area. I have bought second hand clothing for my granddaughter, her toddler bed for at my house and I sold alot of stuff before we moved into our smaller townhouse. I made enough money to pay for our moving truck and movers. Summer is coming and yard sales are a great place to get deals. Also we do our grocery shopping at the super walmart here. They always have meat marked down that is about to expire. I buy it and through it in the freezer. I have no meat in my freezer that I paid full price for. They price match other supermarkets too. There is also Cheapcycle. I don't know if you have that in your area. You might want to check that out.
I am not all familiar with cheap cycle. I like free cycle better. free has a much better ring to my ears.
@minnie_98214 (10572)
We have many consignmnt shops around that you can get some good deals from. But we usually make our own things whenever possible as my hubby is very handy at everything thats why we call him handy andy.
I have been creative with making things. Nothing I could sit on though. I want to make the ottoman out of the juice cans..
@jillhill (37379)
Woo Hoo.....you found a new place! good for you. I hope you find many things you want on freecycle!
I will be finding the new place in July. Yes I am going to be happy with my new furnishings. Thanks very much
We turn our old kids clothes into Kid to kid and they give us a credit to wards new clothes for my kids. Every little bit helps. I also go into the thrift stores when I am feeling patient and have time. It is a hard task to find the right thing in a thrift store.
I have never heard of kid to kid. That must be very nice to get the store credit. Thanks for sharing. I like the good will better than most thrift stores. There are working hard to make the store more shop friendly.
@foxyfire33 (10009)
I love free cycle and barter cycle for things like that. I'm really hoping I have a new place to furnish soon and I will be totally hitting up them as well as yard sales and second hand shops. I'm fairly crafty so I figure with a little paint or fabric I should be able to make just about anything look fantastic.
Your thinking the frugal way like I am. Thats the way to go. Thanks very much
@jennybianca (12913)
I am not sure about that? I like buying second hand when I can too, but usually I actually have to buy it. Many years ago a group down south from me, started a bartering system. This was where services or homegrown goods, we used in exchange for something else needed. So, for instance, if a person wanted a second hand table, he/she could offer someone (who had one to sell or give away), a dozen free range eggs & homegrown tomatoes. Or they may offer a free hair cut in return. Think of a skill you have, that you could offer in return for some free furniture.
I have to think really hard on this one. I ma still not finding anything I could give for free. Thanks very much
@winterose (39897)
why not offer some of your bags in exchange for things you need for your new apartment, also here, you can contact the churches and st. vincent de paul soceity, I think they have them in new york too, for some furniture.
LOL My favorite things are always those that are free. I got a dresser off the side of the road. Of course, it needed a paint job, but it was free. But I have found a lot of stuff on the side of the road. Clothes, furniture, all kinds of stuff. Last week I found two lawn chairs sitting beside someone's garbage bin so I stopped and picked them up. I sprayed them with bleach and they look great. They are about ten dollars a piece at Wal-mart. But why pay that when I can get them for free.
@Bluepatch (2480)
• Trinidad And Tobago
Blessings, I should add, always come second - hand. A few years ago my sister was re-doing her living room and gave me her old living room furniture. I was so happy ! I now had two sofas, about twelve cushions, large, comfortable chairs, etc. Things I never had before. Second-hand is what was good once and is still good if you leave out the ' second ' and the obvious age. The place to go when you're looking for things that way, of course, are garage sales. Go to all you can find. In each one there will be something you want. One sale might fill a warehouse, you'll walk through rejecting over and over - and then see something you know you'll never get anywhere else. That's the joy and reward of frequenting garage sales.
@Jemina (5779)
I am a Second-hand Queen. Does anybody else wants the title? If you think you are therightful owner of the title then give us your story and I will happily give you the crown. Anyway, I have been a supporter of second-hand shops ever since I was in high school and that was like 20 years ago. Here in the UK they got so many charity shops where you can buy second-hand or pre-owned items and the money is used to support the less fortunate. Also FreeCycle is a good place to get unwanted stuff that are still in good condition.
@Thoroughrob (11748)
I have no problems using things that other people don't want. My house is pretty well furnished that way. You can really get some nice things off of free cycle.
@KKKBsmom (1093)
I have to agree with you... I don't think I have one new thing in my living room... oh wait... yes I do .. the tv stand I bought 10 years ago, and the tv last year... everything else is hand me downs or bought used... I mean even my monitor is off freecycle! LOL couch was from a friend... chair was off the side of the road... desk was from my deceased uncle! how can people go pay $1000 for a couch... that is just insane!
@skinnychick (6906)
Freecycle is a good idea! I'm moving soon myself! Thanks!