Would you have called the police? Would you have stopped the fight?

I was walking home from buying my iron. I saw a guy who I forgot his name. I know his Mother's name is Sharon. She lives in the projects close by. I saw her son chasing down a man who I went to school with. This guy was unable to run fast and was clearly on meds. We went to the same school and I know what classes he took. etc.Sharon's son chased this man. Just swinging after him. Oh my goodness it was sad. The man just kept saying leave me alone. Please leave me alone. I saw Rhonda just standing there with a few others I knew. Sharon's son got this man running around a car to where he almost got hit. Then as I am walking towards them the guy runs my way. Then I was like oh hell no he is going to knock me out. I ducted and continued walking home. I told Sharon's son. You don't fight someone who clearly can't defend themselves. I continued walking because I am not a hood rat. They all know me and would catch me later alone. So I picked up my cell phone and called the police. I told them what was happening and what street to go down as well as what Sharon's son was doing and wearing. Then I halled tail down the next few blocks. Sirens were blazing and I went in my house. I find I have to move from here. I don't belong in this neighborhood. I can't watch people just get abused and do nothing. At the same time I can't risk being labeled a snitch.
@Lindalinda (4112)
Well you did the right thing and were an example for other people to do the right thing We all have to look out and care for people who are in trouble. If we don't care no one will come to our aid when we need it. When I lived downtown in a megacity I passed this beggar every day. He was sitting at the entrance to the subway. One day this mean looking bully was beating up this beggar. I am an older lady with no cell phone. I started to scream at the top of my lungs. In seconds there was a crowd of people and the tough guy ran off. So I hope if I was ever in trouble people would help me too.
Linda, you are great, I hope others will take your example. We do all need to care for each other.
This reminds me of when I was in Miami. Karisma and I were leaving walmart. These black guys had this white boys cell phone and took his bike. They kept beating him in the head. I was so pissed to him trying to get his stuff. screaming and all. I could not take it and went in walmart for the police. I then had to worry about getting myself and my daughter home. I was walking through the darkest streets to get home. I went all the way out of my way just not to lead them to my home. Thanks very much. This is great
Hi gifts, You are indeed a brave and caring person.
@carmelanirel (20979)
You did the right thing, gifts and sounds like you really do need to get out of there, especially since you have your daughter to look after, she doesn't need that kind of stuff in her life..
carmelanirel,we are starting to pack up in June. I may stay with my brother in August and hope to find something by September before school. Thanks so much
That is good and will be great for your daughter..
@chrislotz (8200)
Yeah I think you need to move, if you can. I see from what you are saying that you live in the projects, so it must be cheaper to live there and maybe that is all you can afford, I don't know, but if you can, you should move. I would hate to live somewhere like that and I would be terrified to go outside of my house. Mind you I am an 51 year old woman so that could be why, but I just know I would be afraid all the time living there. I hope for your sake, no one figures out that it was you who phoned the police. I think I would have done the same thing you did, get away and phone. There was not much you could do to help this man so you did the next best thing. Good luck with finding somewhere else to live. I will be thinking of you.
The projects is no nice place to live - I am hoping to be out of the area soon.
I live in a private house down the block from the projects. That is just as bad being I am in the hood with them. I am doing all I can to move from here. Money is tight and apts are so high priced these days. Thanks so much
@lishiwei (1553)
Right!You did very well.There is no need to stop the fight by ourselves and may be we also couldn't.I also think the best way is call the police because we should keep ourselves safe.
I agree with you here. My safety comes first. Thanks for the help..
I think you did the right thing. It is sad to think that someone has to be afraid becuase they did the right thing. There should be more people like you.
Oh how true this is and it's a shame too. Thanks very much
@minnie_98214 (10572)
You made a tough call but id say the right one. If that was me id be wanting to move also.
Thanks Minnie I am moving out soon.
You did the right thing by calling the police. Let them handle it, when they get there, because it may progressivley get worse. Now if I was in the situation I would have at least tried to intervene but I am a large person so it may have just been easier for me to get involved. but you play the cards you are dealt the best that you can.
I am a female and they both were grown men. I would never jump between two men fighting. Now I have stopped a female from being beat up by another female.
@Ravenladyj (22936)
I would have gotten involved knowing me...Just cause I cant stand to see that sort of thing and with all the ppl standing around watching like it was some circus sideshow and doing nothingn I'd be even more ticked off....I think you did the right thing though by calling the police without a doubt..SOMETHING had to be done! If you can afford to move though, I would for sure..nobody should have to live in uncomfortable surroundings like that..
I can't afford to move out of here. But that would not be stopping me. I am on a tight budget right now. Just to save what I can to leave this area. I am not going to sit and wait till I can afford to move. I may be stuck here forever. Thanks very much
@sid556 (30989)
You did the right thing but I understand your concerns also. When you rat someone out, some of this thugs come back for revenge. Maybe he won't figure out that it was you that called on him.
He will know it was me as I was the only one concerned about the victim out there. Plus when I turned around to look back. He was facing my direction. I am hoping he did not get the best look at me. if he did and bothers me he will be in trouble. My brother is not one to mess around with.
@Rozie37 (15499)
• Turkmenistan
I feel really bad for you. You sound like a good person who wants to do the right thing. But it is very hard these days. I know what you mean about the snitch thing. Although, I am a proud snitch. I have to answer to God first, and I am more afraid of him than anyone on this earth. I hate to see things like that too. I am not one for fighting, so I would have done the exact same thing that you did. Good for you.
Im glad you have decided to get and iron. I would have done the same thing. It is hard to live in an area like that and want to get away. Do you have any ideas where you are going to go? I grew up in a rough area and when we finaly moved away it felt so good.
@mssnow (9493)
It is very scary worrying about whether a person will come after you for calling the cops. I still probably would have called them. I do feel for you living in an unsafe neighborhood. I wish you luck and be safe.
@skinnychick (6906)
It doesn't sound safe at all hun. If you can, I would move. You should have called that kids mom if you know her too and let her know to teach her son better than that.
Oh I see, for some reason I thought that this guy was a kid like a teenager or something. Stay safe around there whatever you do.
@winterose (39897)
oh gosh that is a hard decision you have to live with these people until you move. There could be retaliation sometimes these people can be really crazy. I lived in the ghetto all my life, I don't know but I did. You are really brave woman I admire you you!
Thanks Winterose,I am a fighter in deed and would have helped. But not where two men were involved. Thanks again.
• Bahamas
Definitely you did the right thing giftsandbagscom....many others would have said nothing. Who knows the guy could have been killed. You saw someone being mistreated and reacted, even though you was afraid for your own safety. Im sure that guy is thankful to have his life saved...even if he doesn't know who did it....he is sure glad to be alive. I would have called the police the same way you did...i don't think i would have do things any different especially, if i was not known there....but it a little different seing that i do live in the ghetto so i know the people around my neighbourhood. I don't think I would stop a fight though, i've seen many people who have stopped fights or try to stop fights lose their lives or get hurt very badly trying to stop a fight. You don't need to have any sense of guilt....you were really a hero!!!
I am sure glad to read this. It's very nice to know when others live in areas where they truly can relate. Thanks very much Inzy,
@emeraldisle (13145)
I would have done the same thing as you did. If you got in the middle right then more then likely you would have been hurt. By calling the cops you got him the help he needed without exposing yourself directly. If more people in that neighborhood did that perhaps it wouldn't be as bad as you indicated. It does sound like you should move. It doesn't sound safe there for anyone really. Hopefully you can move and soon.
Yes we will be moving very soon. I am hoping we can find a place on the north side. Thanks you very much
@Mamagee (392)
It is quite dangerous staying in that place. I would rather move out than being a neighbor of that kind of people. I'm scared of being a victim. Before move out, I will make a report to the police first.
I was just passing by the area it was not intended towards me. I am moving as soon as I can.
@linda345 (2661)
You did the right thing. I know nobody wants to be known as the snitch. But you might have saved that guys life. You are a hero.
that is what I am most concerned about. I am just going to try to leave this area. Thanks so much
oh giftsandbagscom that is so scary. I am with you on this one and hope you do move away from there. some neighborhoods these days are just too violent and scary to live in.we have a town just ten miles from tustin where a lot of people will not go to for any reason. There are anumber of gangs and many drive by shootings each day and most of the residents are illegal aliens from Mexico and live ten to twelvepeople in a house. And yes you do not dare become what they would call a snitch or you risk getting killed.
I definitely would have done the same and I also think you should move. Seems like a scary neighborhood and I wouldn't wanna live like that either. Hugzzz