Pampers or Cloth Diapers?

@myrith (1830)
Did you or are you using diapers like pampers, huggies or cloth diapers for your baby? I used both, the cloth was just to go back to basics, I just wanted to see if I could handle it with my own child, and it worked very well, except the baby had to also wear those plastic pants to keep in the wetness
@yoj118 (346)
I used both also for my two kids. During daytime and when we're just at home, I used the cloth diaper but whenever we're out from home I used the artificial diapers of course. It was also suggested by most of my relatives to use the cloth diapers so that my babies would avoid having rashes and it's more economical too...
@myrith (1830)
Yes they worked pretty well for me. I did as you did, at nights or if going out then they would wear the artificial diapers, otherwise it was the cloth.
hi myrith, i used cloth dipers for 3 of my kids when they were new born because my mother gave me a diper service as a gift for them. even though i did not have to wash them i hated it. every pee you had to change their entire outfit and what ever it was they were lying on (my outfits!)the plastic thingies did not work! and the smell of that horrible bucket! the kids also had a lot more diper rash because of the harsh chemicals i am sure they used to get them clean again...no name dipers from the grocery store for me and mine!
@myrith (1830)
You see it's posts like yours that make me stick around here on mylot, You reminded me of all the problems that came with the cloth diapers. As I read your post I'm dying laughing. I did not have the diaper service I washed them all myself and my kids didn't get those terrible rash that so many had because I would change them often.
@minnie_98214 (10558)
Yeah pampers all the way for me. If I had to id go cloth but as long as I got the money im gonna stick to the pampers.
@myrith (1830)
Noted, thank you!
I don't like the cloth diapers I wouldn't be able handle it. all that mess in the diapers and I have to wash it out... when I my kids mess up in their underware, if it's too bad I tell them to throw it away... I don't want to deal with it...Hats off to you...
@myrith (1830)
Thanks for the reply, but I did not find it hard at all I guess it has to do with the way one grew up,If I had to do it over again I would in a heartbeat.
@emeraldisle (13139)
Well with my niece we had cloth diapers but we only used them for over the shoulder when burping or things like that. We had to use disposable, mainly Luvs. The reason is due to the rubber pants. Allergies run in the family with those and we weren't going to take the chance. That and we had checked into using cloth ones and they were expensive when we figured in the price of cleaning them and the clothes because they often leak. That and to be honest they are a pain to clean. Being honest here and that trying to clean those things out and washing them separately was a lot of hassle. So we stuck with the Luvs.
@shrashira (438)
As a child I used cloth diapers when changing my siblings. Now as an adult, I used huggies to change my children. I will never go back to cloth again ever. The process can get messy and washing the cloth diapers was nasty.
@myrith (1830)
That's if you dont know how to wash clothing,now a days it's all about EASY, if huggies and the others weren't available what would you do then?
@mac1946 (1602)
• Calgary, Alberta
I,of course,grew up with cloth diapers and rubber/plastic pants,and as a babysitter for around 40 years,I will not change,I made a study of the differance in cost and damage from both types,and will not even allow disposibles in my house. I certainly like the thousands of dollars I have saved,and virtually all of my charges were potty trained by the time they were 2 to 2 1/2 years of age,(as I said,Virtually) I am a very firm believer in the use of the plastic pants for all stages of training.
@myrith (1830)
Way to go, I also grew up on them and nothing happened plus as you said they saved on money.
@thanujad (405)
• Sri Lanka
Yes I did the same as you. My mom gave me 100 cloth diapers and that wasn't a problem. But when I'm going out somewhere with the baby I used pampers as it was easy.
Pampers for me! It is very convenient as you don't have to wash tons of wet and soiled diapers. It's just expensive but I think it's worth it and is really part of the staple expenses for babies just like milk. If you are worried about your baby having diaper rash, just apply diaper creams that will solve this issue.
Myrith, I am looking forward to meeting our first child in January. I desperately want to give cloth diapers a try and am collecting feedback, such as the comments listed here on what brands work and which ones really aren't worth the hype. I am hoping that I can do cloth at home, and possibly an eco friendly variety such as Tushies or G-diapers when we're on the go. We shall see, though! I know many mothers have started out with noble intentions, but have found the reality is that disposable is most convenient and provides the best protection. I'll let you know how my plans to be eco-friendly pan out!