Make sure the rent doesn't bounce or cover a debt?

@sedel1027 (17851)
My husband did get a job, but he is only making $15/hour to start (first 30 days, then an increase to at least $18/hour) and doesn't get paid until 5/15. We have about $800 in the savings account. On the first I need about $430 of that to cover the rent (My pay covers most of the rent, plus a good chunk of the bills). All food & gas will be put on credit cards until the 16th. As you know we will be moving @ the end of May so any money we take out of savings we need to replace. Prior to him loosing his job we got a notice from a school he attended in 2006 saying that we owed them money. News to us, we would have paid it. It is $430. If we don't pay it by 5/1, it will go to collections. I have bad credit, so we use my hubbys credit for everything. Odds are the rent check won't clear until 5/8...but I would rather not chance that. We do have a $445 "bubble" which is a check for the place we are moving to that they still haven't cashed. Had he not lost his job, we would be able to pay both with no issues. What would you do?
@carmelanirel (20979)
First of all I would contact who you owe and explain the situation and ask for an extension or a payment plan..As for food, I don't know if you can get something from the local food pantry, but ours has gotten through some really bad times before. Do you have a church you go to? Maybe talk to the Pastor there and see if they can help too.. I know what you are going through, it feels like there is no hope, but as someone who has been there, to where I am feeding my family bread I made and water for meals, I know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel..
I read what you said about how you find out you owed the school money through the collections, but I would still call the school and say that you didn't know about the money you owed..Ask them if they even sent out a billing? If not, then I think they should help you and tell them you didn't know. I believe for them to send you to the collection agency without notifying you that you owe them is wrong..
@sedel1027 (17851)
They are claiming they sent a bill out to us and they called. We got nothing from them at all - other than that $35 bill. My husband is going to try to call them again tonight. I Last time it took him calling 3 different times to even get the correct reason why he was even billed....
Sounds like they are having problems in the billing department..I hope it all works out for you..
@Sillychick (3279)
I would call the school and explain the situation. Offer to make a small payment, whatever you can handle, now. Then ask them if they will hold onto it for one more month until you can pay the balance. If you tell them you want to pay it, but need a little more time, they may work with you. The small payment not is a good faith payment. I wouldn't recommend taking money out of the bank that needs to cover checks already out. They could surprise you and come back sooner than you expect. Maybe offer the school a post-dated check.
@sedel1027 (17851)
Since the account has already been sent to collections, the full payment is the only way to take it out. They claimed that we should have known about the debt, however the only bill we received from them was for $35 which was paid. Apparently what happened was waayy back in 2006 we got a refund check. At the end of the semester my husband dropped out of the school. After 3 months we received a bill in the mail for like $1500. He called an was told that he was registered for classes and they weren't dropped properly, but he should not have received the invoice, but that he did owe $35. He asked them to send a copy of the updated invoice. Once we received that in the mail, I sent out a payment. The invoice they want us to pay on has to do with the classes he took at then end of 2006. Apparently, when they mailed us the refund somehow they ended up having to pay money back to someone (either loan or grant) and we are suppose to still have that $430 check floating around. Now, why did they no bill us for this back at the beginning of 2007. Why should we have to pay for this?
Mooch is right, they want you to think they Can't take payments- but they can. If you want to avoid having it in collections, show them that you want to work with them. I had a similar situation, with grant money being sent back after dropping classes. At first, they were very rude and not flexible. When I explained that their choices were take payments or get nothing, they changed their tune. Be persistent. Don't let them scare you into skipping rent. That should come first, no matter what.
@sedel1027 (17851)
From what I understand from my husband, the schools stance is that the bill is already in collections and the only way they can have it removed is with a full payment. Had the problem been taken care of prior to it ending up in collections, then there could be a payment plan. I know we can make payments if it goes to collections, but we are trying to avoid marking up his credit since we rely on it so heavily. I am going to bug him to call again tonight. I am crossing my fingers, but not holding out much hope. He had to call 3 times before getting the real reason why he was even billed.
@luvstochat (6914)
Try to call the place that has the school debt and ask them if you could pay it on a differnent date or pay some of it explain the situation to them. Sometimes they are willing to work with you.
@sedel1027 (17851)
We did try doing that and they claimed that we should have known about the debt (We got no bills or notices) and that the amount had to be paid in full in order for it to be taken out of collections. The account has already been sent to collections, the full payment is the only way to take it out.
I hate bill collecters that act like that! I am sorry.
@whiteheron (4223)
I would pay the rent first. I would then call the credit company, telling them that until you got the letter, you had no idea about the bill... also the situation about the need to pay the rent and to ask them if there is any way that they can hold the sending it off to collections until later on or just let them send it to collections or offer to pay just a little... sometimes $20 is enough to hold the account for these companies rather than sending it to collections.
@lingli_78 (12836)
i wll definitely try to pay for the rent first... that is the most important one... as for the school debt, i will call them and try to explain the situation to them... hope they will understand and willing to postpone the due date... i know that it is tough... i have the same problem as well when i am sick and have to sort out my medical bills... now i have settle most of them but my credit card bills are so high i don't know how to pay for them... i just take one step at a time... i am fortunate that i still have a job and i am really grateful for that... hope your situation will get better... take care and God Bless you...
@KrauseHome (36746)
Don't you just hate when you get unexpected surprizes like this of Bills. Especially if it is something that you had not been getting a Bill on otherwise. So they will not take it on a later date? Wow!! Must be because of all of the problems going on around the US financially right now. I would think places would just be Happy to get paid. All I can tell you, is Pray about it if you are Praying person. Things will definately work out here for the best I am sure. Or try finding somewhere else you owe $$ too that might work with you until your husband gets paid so you can get this bill too. Wishing you the best.
I am no lawyer but here is my advice, etc. Request proof that your husband owes the money. If you dispute it then the debt collector has to prove that you owe it and they can't contact you untill they do. Have they sent you written confirmation of your debt and what you can do if you don't owe anything? Debt collectors are required to send that within 5 days of contacting you. When did you recievce notice of this debt? They have to give you time to respond, probably 30 days.