Birthday cake help, please

Ok last year I made both my kids cakes, instead of buying those very expensive store cakes. They came out pretty good considering I do not bake very well. This year I am making my daughter a pet shop cake, and I have one simple question. How do I get the cake to not crumble off the top, when Iapply my frosting. I thought letting it cool overnight, would be enough but it wasnt. If anyone knows how to keep my cake from doing that, I would greatly appreciate the tip.
Very simple, let the cake coolenough to take it out of the an. Once you have it on a plate, platter, or sheet, cover it with plastic wrap in stick it in the freezer for at least two hours. I usually leave it there over night. When you're ready to frost, take a bunched up paper towel and brush off loose crumbs. As long as you do this when the cake is still frozen, you wont get any crumbs in the frosting. Freezing the cake also locks in the moisture for later, so it improves the texture and flavor as well. Another thing to do, is heat the frosting a little. That makes it go on more smoothly and evenly. Don't heat to the point of melting, just enough to soften it up. Happy baking!
Thank you for the very good advise. The thing with wiping the crumbs off must be what the first poster meant. Would room temperature frosting be ok, or still warm it just a hair?
Yeah, Im sure that's what they were referring to, but it works best if the cake is frozen. As for the frosting, it really depends on the type. Even though I do a lot with cakes, I cheat and usually buy the store bought brands. I almost always buy the whipped kind, these don't require being heated up. I just use a metal knife dipped in hot water to spread it on. But any time I buy or make any other kind of frosting, I always heat it. If its a softer variety, I'll just stick the can or bowl into another bowl of hot water (kind of like the way you'd heat a baby's bottle). If it is a thicker variety, I'll stick it in the microwave for only about 10 seconds, maybe less. Then mix it up real good with the knife. Hope this helps, best luck to you!!
Yes thank you, this is very helpful. Her birthday is next week, and I will be sure to post pics of the cake. Thanks again
i am not sure if this will work for you but it works for me i apply frosting in 2 layers one thin one to begin with and let it set for a few minuted then add the final layer i also use an offset spatula and that seems to help alot too
Thanks for the info