Do you have minimum amount you must earn a day to work in a job?

@kiran1978 (4137)
Australia
I am quite embarassed saying this but, my partner has been unemployed for 2 months now, he quit his last job after working there for two weeks. In the duration of 7 months he has had 6 jobs, it is starting to become frustrating as he keeps quitting his jobs as he is very fussy and has high expectations but in the mean time between jobs our family is suffering financially. My point is there is a job advertised in the paper, that he is going to apply for as a diesel fitter and he won't accept it if it does not pay atleast $200 a day. I can't believe it, he has been broke for 2 months and won't take a job earning less then this. I earn less then this when I was teaching full time. To me if i was looking for work and it was something I wanted to do I would take the job regardless of the pay as you need work to live. So do you have a minimum amount of pay you like to earn a day to take up a job?
@gemini_rose (16192)
No I do not have a minimum amount that I must earn a day in a job and neither does my hubby, as we say work is work and when you have a family to feed we cannot afford to be too fussy. I do not work at the minute but when I do get back to work I think that the only thing that I might be fussy about is what job I do. I do not want to end up just being a cleaner as I do think that I am worth more than that, and cleaning is how I started off so I would like to be something a bit more than a cleaner.
@kiran1978 (4137)
YOu are right, when you have a family to feed you can't afford to be fussy. It is so frustrating how he is not too concerned with that at the moment, it is reall worrying me. The problem is I have been paying for all the food and bills with what ever money I get and credit. He he has needed extra money he has borrowed off his dad, which is not good as this is making him not need to look for work. But even when he borrows off his dad the money is not spent on the family sadly. I don't know what to do, I do really love him, but I am starting to lose alot of respect for him since it has been 2 months without work and he is being too fussy. I think you are better then a cleaner also, I see you being an author. You write well, you have talent. Nothing wrong with cleaner jobs though if you have to take it to survive. But luckily you don't sound like you are in that situation. Take care my friend.
@gemini_rose (16192)
I am very lucky you are right, my hubby always puts us first and has always done whatever he can to bring the money in, he has also made sure that he makes enough to allow me to stay at home with our children, he works hard. If I had to take a cleaning job then I would, I would do what I had to do, but I am in a position where I can afford to be a little picky and believe me I do not take my position for granted. I would love to be a writer of some kind, I have been writing bits and pieces over the last few days to try and see how it looks on paper. I am even considering taking an english language and literature course to brush up on my english knowledge. You seem to see something in me, that I do not, it gives me hope that I may have some talent in me that I could put to good use while being at home, maybe then I would not need to go out to work and be a cleaner!! I really hope that your hubby/partner is being like this, I can tell that you are really worried and when you have children it is always more of a worry, and you do lose respect for them you are right.
@kiran1978 (4137)
That's a great idea taking up a course, do something for yourself that you are passionate about. I think they may even have courses in writing books, maybe you could look into that, I remember you said you were interested in that. Good to hear your hubby is so supportive, atleast then you can follow your dreams. I am glad I am able to go back to teaching at anytime, teaching is great flexible job, might have to look at going back maybe in a few months if he doesn't have work by then. This time round I really wanted to spend a year at home with my children. As with my last daughter I went back to work after 4 months because I needed the money, I regretted that decision as I missed out on important milestones in her life, don't want to miss out again with my 3rd child. With my eldest I had a year off it was nice, then I went to uni.
That was my life up until a year ago and it went on for a year. My advice to you not to nag, but to help him find a job that meets most/some expectations while he's still employed at one of the "one month jobs". I know it is soooo frustrating and you feel like losing it, but chances are if he made this kind of money before he could do it again. But if he didn't make this kind of money before than it's time to give him an ultimatom.
I'd also like to add that maybe he could work for himself, it sounds like he has some mechanical experiance, he could set up a shop, or do work under the table while he's unemployed.
@kiran1978 (4137)
You give great advice Nuclearrabbit. Yes he has earnt this money before in the mines, but he lost that job. And another job he had earning over $1500 a week last year, he lasted 10 weeks and quit as he did not like the long hours he worked. I don't nag him, even though I feel like it, lol, I try and encourage him to find the job he wants. But unfortunately times are getting tough here with new baby only 8 weeks old, I am off work to raise baby. So I think for time being he needs to find any work then try and persue his dream job while working. He has also tried to set up his own mechanical work but then gave up on that idea as he said he didn't have all the equipment. I appreciate your great advice.
Maybe you can have him be the stay at home parent. This is what I plan on doing if my boyfriend and I ever have a child. Sometimes you got to work around people. It may not be what you want but sometimes the alternatives (like unmanagable debt) are worse.
The only reason I can see saying "I have to make "X" a day" in your situation is to make enough to cover the cost of gas there and back, and any daycare costs that may be incurred. I mean, one can't spend $100 a day in gas and daycare then only make $110 for working for the day, kwim? But, other than that I guess I take what I can get.
@kiran1978 (4137)
I agree with you, take what you can get for now. He can always find a better job later.
@laglen (19779)
My base has always been atleast $10 per hour. But that is having to go up since the cost of living os so high. But when looking at taking a job, you have to think of the cost of transportation, food, clothes etc. If you make $6 per hour but it costs you that to get to work, you are still paying the taxes. But when I am hungry and need to work, my bare minimum is $10.
@kiran1978 (4137)
I think that is a good base, like you said it needs to cover the basics such as food, transportation, living etc. You can always find more work later, but you do what you have to, to survive, that is my opinion. Sounds like you are a very hard worker and have the right attitude to work, good to hear.
So, laglen, if you were hungry, about to loose your place of residence, electricity was going to be cut off, or whatever, you would wait til you could find a job that paid $10 an hour? You wouldn't work for less to get by and pay the bills til you could find a better job?
@laglen (19779)
I see your point but I have calculated that under that amount, I am paying to work. So no I wouldn't because that would only put me further in the hole. I have 20 years of waitressing experience so I can always make more than $10 per hour. I am good at that and generally average about $20 per hour but the shifts are short. I also have bartending experience so there have been times that I have waitressed during the day and bartended at night. I will do what i have to.
@goldeneagle (6775)
sounds to me like he is making up excuses. There is a point that it is not worth it to really go to work at a job, but $200 a day is ridiculously high. There are not many jobs I know of that pay this much available to the average person. I will take just about any job as long as the money they are paying is enough to cover the bills and have a little left over. I will not stay at a job for long if it barely covers the gas and stuff to get there, but anything above about $8 or $9 an hour is good. $10 to $12 is even better...but $200 a day is over $20 an hour if you base that on an 8-hour shift...not many that pay that good. He needs to lower his standards and take care of his family. If he doesn't...kick him to the curb. I am working for less than $8 an hour right now. I don't like it, but I have to do it until I start my other job at the end of the month...such is life....so he needs to do it too....
@kiran1978 (4137)
You sound like a hard dedicated worker I admire that. I don't think there are many jobs either that pay $200 a day that is why I am really worried, don't think he will be finding a job anytime soon with those high expectations. I can't kick him to the curb, had a baby with him 8 weeks ago, that is what makes this situation even more infuriating.
sounds to me like he needs to MAN up and take care of his family. I don't like working for $7.50 an hour either, but I know I have a wife and kid and 3 dogs to take care of, not to mention a mortgage and 2 car payments on top of all the bills and stuff, so I know I have to do it till I start my new job (starting at $12/hour) on the 19th. It isn't a lot of money right now, but it will help when it is all said and done.
he should be darned ashamed with that many children he has to beless picky and stay at it. if you go back to work you will have to have someone take care of your kids and that will cost so you willnot come out much aheadd. sit him down and really talk this out with him.
@littleowl (7157)
Hi Kiran-am sorry to hear about your plight but can understand as when I was married I had to support my husband as he was in and out of work and at one time didn't work for a year-at the time I worked for a supermarket and earned £120 every two weeks but had certain benefits on top which helped-so I wouldn't work for any less than that per week otherwise you would need another job as well-blessings littleowl
@kiran1978 (4137)
SOunds like you understand where i am coming from my friend. How did you cope, it is really starting to effect me? I hope he does not stay home for a year. I am only surviving right now because I get benefits off the government plus living off credit cards, which is frightening with high interest rates, but I have no other choice. One thing is I am becoming an expert budgeter, lol, better then I ever dreamed off. I am starting my own tutoring business to get extra money, that is something i can do at the moment while I have the baby, my partner of my mum can look after bubs for hour or two while I tutor. Had my first customer call, hopefully will be starting to tutor this kid in a couple of weeks, really need the extra cash since he is not working. Also the money I am making off the net is helping. Have a big payout pending now, can't wait for that to arrive.
@littleowl (7157)
Like you I had to budget as best I could and had to use my card to get by-I did have another job in the evenings which helped but my ex was always asking for money so most of that was going to him plus the bills frightened me every time tey came in the post I was putting money in his bank to pay for his bills too-to this day I really dont know how I did it but have to admit that when we got divorced (he left me for a youger woman-who I will add had money) I got in trouble with all the bills he left and had to seek debt advice-benefits just didn't reach the ones outside of the mian bills I had to pay now am still struggling though not as bad cos I don't have to think of anyone but myself-but beleive me do really understand where you are coming from my freind-life can be hard on us but guess we have to learn the lesson it gives us-I feel for you and your situation especially having three little ones to bring up it must be so hard love and blessings my friend littleowl
@kiran1978 (4137)
Gee I can't believe after all the support you gave your husband that he then left you for someone else. You don't deserve someone like that. I am happy for you that you have someone who treats you right now, even if he is far away. Take care my friend, thanks for your support, I appreciate it.
@cupid74 (11394)
• Pakistan
hi dear their are two things u need to take care while accepting the job and expecting the salary, 1) whats is requirement of firm and their status 2) salary of that particular job in the Market If Salary of diesel fitter is US$ 100 a day then expecting US$200 is crazy, i hope u understand what i am saying And the condition u r telling, then you should grab the first oppurunity comes on ur way, then work hard and capitalize on it I believe some thing is better than nothing Take care
@kiran1978 (4137)
You are spot on, something is better then nothing. That is what he needs to understand right now, but he doesn't. He is want employers to pay him what he is worth (that's what he says). He has had these good paying jobs before, that is why he won't go for less now. But he keeps throwing those jobs in anyway, he never seems to be satisfied in a job for long.
@cupid74 (11394)
• Pakistan
Hi Kiran if he got good job then he should stick with that, gain experience and enhance his worth. Job jumpers are not considered for good post as their history shows that they cant work for longer period in one company, so why any company will hire him with long term motives in mind Hope u got my point Take care
@jamie08 (430)
i work now at 12/h but i used to make 13. i dont like to make less i wish i was back up to 13 an hour but i had to take what i could get. If i was in deperate need of money i would say the heck with it and do what i can to make some extra money. Who knows if you do a good job you can always be able to get a raise! so i think your husband should take a job that he like and stick with it that way he can at least be bringing in some income and after awhile things will get better and he can get a raise.
@kiran1978 (4137)
I agree with you I wish he would just take a job for now. THen who knows maybe he can get a raise. I think it would be good if he took any job for now then kept looking for the job he wanted while working. Atleast get a part time job for some extra money. But he won't budge. he is set in his ways unfortunately.
@jamie08 (430)
men lol so stubborn!
@dpk262006 (56764)
I think, when one does not get the reumeneration as per his expectation, it is better to settle for a bit low salary. It is said - 'Something is better than nothing'. If one is experienced and has talent, even if he joins a job for less salary, he would start getting higher salary once his worth is known to his boss and company. If I were to choose, I would have settled for less salary, instead of sitting jobless.
@kiran1978 (4137)
Yes I am the same less salary is indeed better then jobless. The problem is he hs had these high paying jobs before and now he wants nothing less. I just wish he would find any job for now and then look for these high paying jobs.
tell him a job paying less than 200 a day is still better than no job at all. as for me I would take whatever I could get for the time being and stick at it and just move up. changing jobs every few months does not give him a resume anybody will 'be impressed with and will ultimately cost him that high paying job he wants. employers look for people who have a good job history of staying at one job for a long period of time. I think when you are jobless and broke you should take what is offered to you so you can pay bills and buy food.
@kiran1978 (4137)
Hi Hatley I totally agree with everything you are saying. I think the same way, pity he dpesn't. He has even had to not even put all of his jobs on his resume as he knows it looks bad for potential employers. I have told him that $200 a day is better then no job at all. I also said that $200 a day is just about what he is getting in one week at the moment off unemployment benefits. Does not make sense, why he won't go for jobs for any less, when he has been broke for 2 months now.
@Elixiress (3891)
I would work for anything but I would always be looking for something better. I would rather be earning a small amount of money rather than no money.
@kiran1978 (4137)
I know, I would rather work for a small amt too then nothing at all. He is tired of being broke but yet that does not motivate him to look for any work. He can always find new work once he has work.
@lvaldean (1612)
I think I will skip the part about what is the minimum I will work for. I am in the consulting world and very specialized. My minimums are quite different. First of all you should not be embarassed, he should. Second I think someone else said this but it bears repeating, he needs to man up. He has others depending upon him so his ego is utterly irrelevant to the situation at hand. If he is eating, bathing, using electricity, gas, and other products of your hard work then he is taking advantage of you. Yes I know that is harsh but if he is unwilling to give up his high expectations to make a contribution, no matter how small then he is taking advantage. Simple and straight forward. Whether it is $100 per day or $500 per day he needs to be doing something. He needs to be realistic and earn money, not sit around and bemoan that employers don't recognize his value. He needs to get off his proverbial and prove he is worth $200 per day. Can't do that sitting at home.
@kiran1978 (4137)
Wow I wish you could talk to him for me, lol, you don't mess around. He needs a reality check. I hope he does man up, I feel like he is not thinking of us right now, sadly and he is too worried about his ego like you said and status. I always put my family first that is why this situation is so frustrating.
@lvaldean (1612)
Love is a wonderful thing. Love can't put food on the table. I adore my husband, really. But I don't owe him dinner. Very simple and simply put. If he wants to eat then he must contribute to the household kitty. He gets this. It is really a very simple conversation to have. This is how I had it, keeping mind that my situation is somewhat different because I am the primary breadwinner in my family. 1. This is the cost to run the household monthly .....$X,XXX These are the components of that cost that are yours 1. This is the cost of your car payment ....$XXX 2. This is the cost of your insurance .... $XXX 3. This is the cost of food you eat .... $XXX 4. This is the presumed cost of utilities...$XXX 5. This is the cost of other expenses..... $XXX My husband is a golfer and a musician so he also has some other costs that are his alone. Especially the cost of golf. So at the end of the day it was this is the total cost of you to the household $XXX which is equal to X% of the total household budget. This is what I expect you to contribute every month. I don't care how you contribute but on a bi-weekly basis I expect you to hand to me one half of your contribution. Get a job, work gigs, whatever. My only expectation is that you pay your fair share of the household expenses based upon your ability to earn. When your ability to earn increases I expect your fair share to incrementally increase along with it. I earn approximately 600% (without bonus) more than my husband. I cover our medical insurance, I cover our student loans, I cover a number of our convenience costs such as yard upkeep because it is a convenience cost that I choose. I cover our vacations because I can. I cover our luxury items. I could if I wanted to cover all our expenses I don't want to. My husband is a man and needs to behave as one. When we married he knew this and he also knew that he would never have access to my money fully. Wasn't our deal. We maintain seperate bank accounts. He does not have access to mine. I do not have access to his. I don't know what he has at any given time and he doesn't know what I have either. We don't keep secrets if we ask we tell. I pay all the bills, it has always been that way. Early in our courting and marriage I was saddled with over $150K in debt plus $50K in taxes from my previous marriage and an ex who though identity theft was a good hobby to have. It has taken me nearly 10 years to clean (legal and paying) this up and I am down to the last $20K of it. This was the original reason for the seperation of funds. But we have found that this works well for us and keeps us honest. The bigger issue is that he understands that there is no free ride in life. He sends money home to his mom and I understand his need to do so. He has a first obligation to me and he understands that this is true also. He is a man and "gets" his obligations to the home, his wife, and his family. He is allowed to be a man in this situation despite the disparity in our incomes. It works.
@kiran1978 (4137)
Wow you are a very wise woman! You have done an amazing job paying of that large debt. I agree with all that you have said. I appreciate you advice, thank you.
@sedel1027 (17851)
If I have the option to do so, then yes I do have a minimum to work full time. However, in your situation I would take whatever just to have money rolling in. For me to work full time, I have to make at least $17/hour, part time $14/hour just to make it worth my time.
@kiran1978 (4137)
Yes i see what you are saying it is good to have minimum if you can afford to live in the mean time. Your minimum is definately realietic.