Cursive Handwriting, how is yours?

I ask this, because I homeschool my son, and by the end of third grade he should be using cursive handwriting. So right now it is the end of second grade, and I thought I would start early. Anyway, I print him off a sample worksheet every day, for a different letter of the alphabet, and as I look at it I go geez I dont write like that. My cursive certainly does not look like the way it is taught. Does anyones, or do we just adapt our own way of writing cursive? And if that is the case, why put such an emphasis on teaching it.
@raijin (10373)
Mine is pretty much good, I have learned it from my good teacher's writing. Sometimes, I even copy the way their strokes. So if you'd check my notes, every thing differs from subjects. I even thought that I'm losing my identity, so I decided to make my own writing style..
I think we all do that, adapt our own writing style. Some experts say they can even define your personality by the way you write.
@kalav56 (11497)
My handwriting is good and I believed in the value of good handwriting. I was asked to do transcription evry day in my school life and I inculcated this habit in my son when he was in school. As far as I am concerned I think it is very important[especially this cursive writing] and I forced this habit on many of my students too.If the habit is formed when young, though it changes with time and according to one's own practice, broadly the formation and base are there/.
I agree having nice handwriting is important, but as you stated we all adapt to our own practice, so I dont think it needs major emphasis to teach it the traditional way.
Jeeze louise, I haven't written actual cursive since grade 3! I kind of do a weird half-printing, half hand-writing hybrid that's quite difficult to read actually. *laughs*
I guess mine is half cursive half print too, sometimes I think I use different forms too. Must be I get bored with the way it looks.
@Essie119 (673)
Mine looks pretty much how it did in school if I take my time. I started to learn cursive in grade 2 and continued all of elementary school. You can even read my signature because I figure if I worked that hard to learn to write properly then I'm darn well going to write everything properly. LOL
LOL good point. Mine is not bad, but it sure does not like the way I learned. Especially the Q's and Z's they are completely different than the way I learned.
I was actually never taught how to write in cursive. It looks so pretty when people are writting it and they get to take notes really fast in school. But when I write it's just regular and it's not really neat.
You could always learn, if you wanted to. I think we all use the computer so much now a days, that handwriting just kind of gets left in the dust.
@goldeneagle (6775)
Mine is ok as long as I don't try to write too fast. I can print pretty good too, but I have to take my time with that as well. I can type about 50 words per minute as long as I am typing from memory, or just posting comments or typing what I am thinking. However, if I am taking a typing test, or trying to type what I am reading off a page, my typing speed decreases to about 25-30 words per minute.
I had a friend like that. She wrote sooo slow, but she said she had to or it wouldnt be able to be read. I can type pretty fast too.
@sisterjinx (1136)
Don't worry mine doesn't look the way I was taught anymore either. lol And they don't emphasize teaching it anymore. It is taught for one quarter in the third grade in most schools and then barely addressed again unless some teacher in high school decides to require it. This was one of a dozen reasons I began homeschooling. I felt like they were not focusing on certain things that I felt were important. Not only that but the school system we were in had a teacher in Jr. High that required cursive. The children coming in from our elementary were failing because our fifth grade teacher was not teaching it knowing full well they were going to have to use it.
I havent looked past the 3rd grade curriculum, for my son yet, so I hope it is just the 3rd grade. If it isnt I will just end up adapting to fit our needs anyway.
@lilaclady (28236)
Oh I have terrible writing, I see writing that older people do and I love it, when I was at school they stopped teaching the beautiful old world handwriting and we had to learn italic writing which I think is awful, I have tried to change my writing but I am ashamed to say I just don't know what a lot of those capital letters in the old world writings are...but gee that handwritng looks beautiful.
I remember learning it in school, but somewhere along the way I adapted my own style.
@syeryn (574)
Melissa I would teach him the basics and let his own style develop as he becomes familiar with the fundamentals of the letter formations. My writing developed its own style after overcoming Catholic schools and being left-handed back in the days when it was not cool to be a lefty. I think the style we develop as time goes on is an extension of our personality so give him the elemental knowledge of what cursive writing is and let him find his own path once you get him there.
I agree, I think we all develop our own style based on our different personalities.
hello melissa. My cursive handwriting is so ugly that I dont use it AT ALL. I find it faster to print also. Some people are really lucky and have wonderful cursive writing. My mother in law is like that . Its rather baffling. Do you use cursive or do you print more?
LOL that is what started this topic, because i am not really sure. It sure doesnt look like the way i was taught. I think it is a combo of cursive and printing all melded together into some new form of writing.
@kenzie45230 (3560)
My handwriting is horrible, but I blame my fibromyalgia and the weakening of my left side. (Besides, I'm left handed and many lefties have horrible handwriting.) I believe that our emphasis must be on forming the letters correctly, even though individuals do change their habits once they're out of school. We do still need to be able to read our own and others handwriting, so if we can be somewhat similar it helps. Foundations must be laid for each subject. We teach the entire math steps, even though later we may discover short-cuts.
True, and another good point. You learn the traditional way, and then learn shortcuts no matter the subject.
@mimico (3618)
Mine definitely changed from back when I was in elementary. I think your handwriting changes once in a while. Now that I'm older, I don't even use cursive as much anymore. I'm more comfortable just printing my letters. I find it easier to write and easier to read. I guess the whole point about teaching your son how to write in cursive is the discipline?! I'm not so sure though but the best thing I learned in school was the discipline to do my homework, study for exams, and participate in class discussions. At the end of the day, thee are only a few lessons I've remembered, as I memorized most of what was taught to me.
Very good point. I also think with computers playing such a big role in education, handwriting is taking a backseat, and we are seeing people who dont write well at all.
@dizzblnd (3073)
Both my cursive AND my print are atrocious! I don't write like I was taugh. I have adopted my own letters. When my kids used to come to me to ask me how to write this letter or th at letter in cursive, if it is one i have changed, I would have to look it up on line. Pretty bad huh? Like anything parents do, we can only teach the "proper" way to to something. It is up to us to try and reinforce certain teachings, but for something as minor as cursive, I wouldn't get to worked up over it. All you can do is keep showing the "right" way to do it, If the child can't write it that way, or just wants to change it.. I don't see what the harm is. (although it makes it tougher because the teachers want to see it done the "right" way. Good Luck!
Well since I am his teacher, I guess that wont be an issue unless I make it one. I agree with you, he should be shown the right way and learn the right way, but if he adapts it to his own personality than that is ok.
@paid2write (5202)
My handwriting has never been good, even though I was taught a style to write in at school, I have always had my own style. It is not neat but it is not difficult to read. I write mcu too quickly to take care how I form my letters. I love it that I can type at the speed of thought and I am a fast and accurate typist so I can write and think at the same time and it comes out on the screen more or less as I want it to.
When i was in school, and had to take notes, mine was like that. Wrote way to fast to even read it well. But then I would go home and rewrite it all so it looked neater, and I was reviewing what I learned. That habit worked well for me.
@adijam265 (769)
I think it doesnt matter as long as other person is able to understand what you write. it doesnt have to be always a copybook, think the emphasis is only because when you grow up , your handwriting has to be legible at any cost , also how you write, each alphabet has a specific meaning, if you are interested you can look my website in my profile, i have an interest in handwriting.