Question about composting

If I use a biodegradable cat litter... could I empty the litter box into the compost bin? It would really reduse my trash if that were possible. I pay $1.50 per bag for the trash men to take them. Currently we go through 2 bags a week. I am finding ways to cut that down, and being able to compost the litter would really cut it down a lot! What do you think?
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
No! The only animal waste that should go into your compost pile is from those that are herbivores (horses, cattle, rabbits, chickens, etc). The animal waste itself is more of an issue than the litter. Do you have somewhere you could dig a hole to bury it? Even if you did that, it would have to be an area that it won't run off into your compost or garden.
Help me, my girl....but there is a disease that is carried in cat feces, and it is especially toxic to pregnant women...For the life of me, I can't think of the name of it! I am with you, under "NO" circumstances would I add any carnivorous feces to my compost...the heat in the compost pile does not get hot enough to destroy the toxins in the "scat." Cheers, my friend!
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Toxoplasmosis? And I don't know if it has anything to do with diseases, but I do know that you're not supposed to put meat/meat products (milk, etc) into the compost, so that would include feces from animals that eat meat. Again, herbivores only, that eat hay, grasses, vegetables, etc.
I've heard the reason not to put meat and dairy in it was to avoid pests. Actually, my husband who knows less about compost than I do had a thought... perhaps it's the amonia in the cat urine?
@GreenMoo (11837)
I think the answer to this depends on what you intend to do with your compost. If you are intending on using it on veg then I wouldn't advise it. But if it's just for putting on flowers and shrubs then it's a possibility. You would need to be careful that you didn't overdo the cat litter / poop in the compost heap if you went down that route. Compost heaps work best if they have a good variety of different types of materials in there. If you overdo one type of thing, it won't work quite so well. An alternative to putting the litter on the compost heap would be digging a hole elsewhere in the garden and popping it in there to rot down. Or if you wanted to be more professional about it, get a bucket with a well filling lid. Drill some holes in the bottom to allow drainage and to allow worms to enter. Put an inch of two of leaf mould in the bottom, then bury the bucket so that just the lid sticks up. Add your litter to the bucket, adding the odd additional layer of leaf mould. It won't smell very good and as you're also adding litter you may need to dampen it, but you should find that the worms will eventually break it down.
@GreenMoo (11837)
I forgot to add, there's been allot of research into using worms to break down human waste. I'm assuming the same techniques could be used to breaking down cat or dog waste.
No, do not ever put cat or dog poop in your compost. You can use cow or horse manure but it should be aged at least a year. I'm not sure but I think you can use livestock manure because they are grain fed. I wonder if you scoop it out, if you could flush it down the toilet.
Well, flushing it would be an option, but I have 5 cats and 7 people. That's a lot of flushing! Why is putting the poop in the compost such a bad thing? My 3 cats that go outdoors poop in my garden anyways
@deebomb (15319)
Dogs and cats carry the toxocara parasite, and toxiplasma disease is carried by cats. These parasites can transfer to your vegetables and be ingested by you.