Have you had your wisdom teeth pulled?

@mikeysmom (2091)
i have to have two of mine pulled on the top and i am really not looking forward to this. i have had teeth pulled in the past and i is not a fun experience. if you have had your wisdom teeth pulled what was your experience like? be honest because it will not scare me off.
@anawar (2406)
mikeysmom_ I had all my wisdom teeth pulled when I was a teenager. At the time, they knocked you out. I remember counting down from 100. I was out by 98. I can't say it didn't hurt, but not as bad as some people. The only part that really hurt, was the dry socket that came later. The dentist packed this incredibly long piece of thick string, loaded with cloves, into the hole where my tooth used to be. It relieved the pain, but it was really gross when he pulled it out. One dentist told me that all wisdom teeth are impacted. The roots are always wrapped around the bones in your jaw. He was quite vehement in his explanation, but I still don't know if I believe him. They usually pull all four at once if they can. No one wants to go back a second time because they know what's going to happen and how they will feel. Oh well.
I have to say I was terrified. They gave me sweet fruit tea beforehand because I hadn't eaten anything that day (don't make that mistake! Keep your blood sugar up!) and I sat and waited for the numbing injection to kick in. They said it wouldn't hurt and I wouldn't feel a thing, but I have to say that wasn't true. It wasn't that painful, but the feeling of the pressure as he pulled really hard to uproot the tooth was horrible. There was an awful noise I could hear in my mouth as it came out! I made a huge mistake afterwards though. A few days afterwards I ate some popcorn and a kernel got stuck right the way up in the hole from the tooth. I couldn't get it out and I had to go back to the dentist for him to pull it out with special tweezers. He wasn't impressed with me!
@ZephyrSun (7382)
I had my removed but not pulled. They were deep inside and I had to go to an oral surgeon and have them "cut" out as he put it. At the time with no dental insurance I opted to be completely knocked out for it. It was well worth that $150 part of the bill. I didn't have much pain after but I wasn't suppose to eat, drink, or smoke for so many hours after it. I went straight to McDonalds for a milkshake because I hadn't eaten since the night.
It's not really that bad, it's about the same as having any other tooth pulled. What's bad is when they say it's impacted and will never grow in and then you have the one before it pulled and what do you know it grows in. That's more painful than having it pulled.
@jer31558 (3683)
I had a very good dentist and didn't have any trouble at all.