Canning is addictive.....

Ok so I have been canning for a week now. I have done quarts of green beans, 9 half pints of banana pineapple jam (it is sooooo good), 12 pints of rag pickles, 4 pints of 3 bean salad, and 3 quarts of meat tomatoe sauce. I am hooked. I have more to can to!! I have bread and butter pickles left to do, peach butter, green tomato chutney, carrots, and spiced apple rings. I am so addicted to canning!!
So how long have you been into canning? Who taught you? I have always wanted to but I am afraid I will screw it up and give everyone some type of poisoning (that can happen right?) I have the jars and some recipes. What is the worst that can happen to you if you don't do it right? Sorry to answer your discussion with questions but I your advise to me is way more valuable than anything I could read online because you actually do it. Thanks....
Yes you have to be careful and follow the recipe exactly no cutting corners here. The worst that can happen is you have to reprocess (put them back in either the hot water bath canner or the pressure canner) them if the don't seal. You will know if they seal by two ways. One is when they come out of the canner and start to cool down they will start to "ping" (a funny little pinging sound that I love to hear lol) as the lids seal to the jars. The second way is when they are cooled down you test the seal by pressing down on the lid if it moves at all it didn't seal. I grew up around canning. My grandma and mom both canned and I was always watching them. I am new to canning on my own though. Mom is teaching me how (I am 37). I am in turn teaching my daughter (she is 17) as I learn myself. I think that it is wonderful and a valuable skill especially the way the economy is going.I am building my own little store of food between my canning adddiction and stocking our freezer.
You are so lucky your mom is teaching you this skill. Seriously. Your advise on sealing the lids is exactly the information I needed to feel confident enough to try it. I am going to dig out my stuff and give it a go....If it works for me, I know eventually my daughter (27) will want to learn as well. See what you started? Ha! Wish me luck and THANK YOU for sending me a detailed response.
You are very welcome. Glad I could help. I have been having a lot of fun doing it and the food will be much healthier without all those additives that is in store bought food.
Hi Sweetdesign, Can you share your rag pickle recipe with me? ShylaRose
Sure I will get it on here in a little while.
@lilybug (21145)
You have been quite busy. I am glad that your banana pineapple jam came out good. I remember it from another one of your discussions.
Oh yes I need to go back and update that and tell everyone how good it is. I have done 7 pints of green tomato conserves today so far.
@GreenMoo (11837)
I can understand that! I just love looking at my shelves and seeing all those lovely rows of jars. I have a dream of having a proper store cupboard to store them in, with all those different products all around!
Oh that is a lovely dream. I have a little pantry of jars started lol. I love looking at them they are so pretty. Plus the food they contain is so much healthier than the store bought alternative. My meat sauce I did last night can be used for so many things like spagetti, pizza, sloppy joes, chili and all manner of other dishes just by adding other ingredients when you open them to cook with them. Canning is such a good skill to have.
@peavey (16911)
I love to can, too, and understand your "addiction." Things are not ready here yet, though. I have green beans in the garden, beets and cucumbers for pickles, but they're all just baby plants right now. I'm looking forward to canning this year.