Crystal Comes To Town-A Love Story (Part One)

By JJ
@myklj999 (62969)
Olney, Illinois
Many of you have read my thread on Meth; for those who haven't, I'm putting my story here. Anyone who responded to the earlier posts need not respond here, but if you wish to, feel free to do so. For those who haven't read this, it's a close look at the life and mind of a former addict. CRYSTAL COMES TO TOWN (A LOVE STORY) IN THE BEGINNING I really shouldn't be here. I should either be dead, or doing 20 years in a federal pen somewhere; but I'm one of a very select lucky few. A lot of my "friends" are either dead or doing time; they weren't so lucky, and I'm still not sure if they are to blame for what happened to them. When I first met my friend Crystal, she seemed to be a fairly nice girl. She'd show up every so often and we'd go out partying for a few days. She got to know all of us pretty quickly; within a years time, all my friends were hanging with her. It was no big deal; we never knew she was the devil in disguise. She was pretty easy to find. Most everyone knew where she was; all you had to do was ask one or two people and you'd find her easily enough. She started showing up pretty regular at the convenience store I was working at in 1997. I had the night shift 5 days a week, and while she wasn't there every night, most times she was. She always seemed to know how to make the time pass quicker; I could be dog tired, but when she showed up, the whole place got lively. Yeah; Crystal was a hell of a girl. THE DEVIL COMES TO VISIT Fast forward a couple years to late 1998. I'd been spending a lot of money on crank. Of course, where I was working, I was able to sell plenty to other people and basically get mine free. The convenience store I worked at was one of only three 24 hour places in town. All the late night partiers and bar hoppers came there to get snacks and smokes and whatever; a small town of less than 9000, I'd lived here all my life so pretty much everyone knew me and I knew them. I figured out pretty quick that I could move a lot of stuff there. I'd been pretty open about smoking Marijuana, even had a letter printed in the local paper on the opinions page stating my views on it, so everyone knew I was "cool" and they could ask me about pretty much anything. I always knew who had what, and who was looking and all that. I had a house in the country with no close neighbors. One night, a friend showed up at work with a proposition for me. He said that he'd teach me how to make crystal; he'd tell me what to do and supply everything to make two batches. I simply had to put it together and give him half of it, plus give him a couple grams every time I made a batch after that. Being as I could get 28 grams in a batch the way he showed me, and I could sell it for $100 a gram when it only cost me about $7 a gram to make it, I jumped right on his offer. So begins a very close association with the devil. I'd spend the next year sleeping maybe a total of 12 hours a week. I had all the dope I wanted and then some. Money out the a$$ and friends coming out of the woodwork. I had it all-I thought. DANCING WITH DEATH In May of 1999, it kicked into overdrive. After being up for 5 days, I got into an argument with my boss and quit my job. I no longer needed it; the money I was making from crank was easily 6-7 times more than I was making at a 40 hour a week job. Right about this time I had two accidents that could have been disastrous. The first was a fire that started in my upstairs lab next to a couple gallons of camping fuel that I was mixing a batch with. If the stuff isn't mixed properly, the lithium used in the process can self ignite. I kept a cool head and calmly snuffed the fire out, almost (but thankfully not quite) spilling the mixture all over the upstairs floor. This was a very old house; if it had caught fire, it would've burned to the ground before assistance would have arrived. Plus, with all the illegal stuff I had there, I probably wouldn't have called it in. The second was an accident with a full 5 gallon tank of anhydrous ammonia. After I had added some "annie" to the mix, I went to close the valve on the tank; I flipped the lever the wrong way and it started spraying everywhere. Before I could shut the valve I inhaled the annie, and dropped the tank which then began bouncing around the room as the deadly pressurized fumes sprayed everywhere. I was lucky in two ways; I had a high volume high speed fan in the window which cleared the room fairly quickly, and I had a friend downstairs who heard all the noise and came up and dragged me out of the house to fresh air. I suffered burns on my arms from the annie, and the fumes I inhaled blistered the inside of my throat, almost completely shutting off any airflow. As I lay gasping for breath outside, my friend was trying to talk me into going to the hospital. I told him I couldn't; I would have to explain there what had happened, and the police would have me. So I crawled back into the house and to my bed, where I passed out, not sure if I would survive or not. FASTER FASTER;MUST GO FASTER! A week later, I had recovered sufficiently to start things up again. What's a little near death experience between friends, right? And Crystal was my best friend! By now, I have a whole process set up; all I have to do is make the stuff. I have people supplying all the ingredients I need for a taste of what I'm doing. Meth is better than money; I'm purchasing cars, trucks, motorcycles; all for just a few dollars. I can trade an 8 ball of crystal for anything I need, and by now it's really not costing me anything. Well, at least not money. Yeah, I've lost some weight, but so what? I look good! (Or that's what I thought.) And maybe a few friends have kinda dropped off the map so to speak, but there are plenty to replace them. I'm turning out 8-10 ounces of crank a week. I've got the downstairs filled with people partying while I'm upstairs doing business. I hand out "samples" left and right; I'm a pretty popular guy. Must be my great personality; surely all these people are my friends and not just chasing dope. I'm noticing the county police sure drive past my place a lot, but hey; if they were gonna bust me, they'd have done it by now, right? And besides, I'm pretty slick; yeah, they know what's going on, but let's see them prove anything. After many months and not much sleep, my friend paranoia starts coming by pretty often. I've got cameras and mics all over the place; I can be upstairs and with my equipment I can hear a car from a mile away, so I know I can't be snuck up on. Sure, I'm getting ripped off on occasion; front somebody something, and they never come to pay. So what? It's only $7; it was worth that to find out I couldn't trust them. But all the paranoia takes it's toll; around October, I decide I've tempted fate long enough. I'm getting out of the biz. So there's one final party; everything comes flying out of the upstairs window; with dozens of people there, the lab is piled up out back and torched. I've had my run and I'm done. Or so I tell myself. The following link will take you to Part Two of this story.
(This is the continuation of an earlier post that was too long to do as a single discussion.) TEACHER, TEACHER Within days of my 'retirement' a...
• Atlantic City, New Jersey
WOW! And here I thought the show Breaking Bad was fiction! It seems like they may have taken portions of your life and scripted it for the show! Addiction is a disease- and the few that overcome it- are not only lucky- but brave and strong individuals...im on to part two....thanks for sharing this my friend! It could possibly save someone else in the future!
@debrakcarey (19896)
Mykl...I have great respect for you. I have thought about putting my story out there...and never could. Perhaps, I will try soon to be as brave as you are. Are you and Lambliesdown the same person? And have you found your babies and held them yet? God bless. Debi
Holy cow. Although the people in my life did not produce their own poison, they are in need of an intervention. I always hope and pray that they do not fall victim to the demons wares.
I can't for the life of me figure out how I missed this one Mykl. You are a brave man to come to terms with the evil that held you hostage.
Thanks again Mykl.
OMG, now I believe you about the "non sleeping" long time.
@myklj999 (62969)
• Olney, Illinois
I had several insane years...
@rsa101 (34001)
I never knew you went to this kind of life yourself. I think you do have a colorful past indeed and a very lucky one to have gotten scot free from all of this.
@CarolDM (182010)
Your honesty will help others. And your survival is nothing short of what I call a miracle. Nothing to do with religion, I just think you being alive is miraculous. I am glad you are here to tell your story.
@TLChimes (4824)
Just so you know.... I still stand behind every thing I've ever said about how proud your chosen family is of you.... Your friends love you for who you are now and you are nothing less then deserving of it.
All I can say is, you are an amazing person. I have only been a member of this site for a few hours now, but you definitely stand out. For you to be able to get through this is so amazing and shows how strong of a person you are. I wish you the absolute best of luck in life! Keep inspiring people as you are here :)
Dear Lamb, Part two is no longer available to read. You're quite a writer, and I would have enjoyed reading it. Where else might I find part 2 to this story? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your web page is Blogger thru myLot? Do all Blogs take off content such as this? I'm a little upset. This story is very good.
@jellymonty (2353)
I must confess I'm reduced to tears just reading this. I don't know why I suddenly decided to read your profile but I was unprepared to read such a heart breaking story. However, I'm glad you came to your senses and that you are still alive and well and able to write about this. I do hope that one day you will have a chance to see your two kids again. Well done though, this is truly inspiring and I do truly wish you all the best. I'm sure that all that you have suffered, it will be restored to you. Ok I've run out of tissues... truly very brave you are
i was amazed to find someone else who has suffered similar things to me on here. i know how hard it is to beat addictions like this. i hope with all my heart you get to see your children soon.
@Polly1 (12646)
All I can say is WOW, glad your still alive and on to part two.
@Sissygrl (10912)
reads intently on.