Feeling Like a Caged Animal!

So in the middle of June we moved out of the awful house we were in (awful because of the housemates) and into a house of our own (rented), just my partner and I and our kitties. What I want to ask, for those who have experience of moving home, is how long did it take you to get properly settled in? It still looks like we're in the process of moving, as there are boxes and stuff everywhere and bare walls still, where we haven't gotten around to hanging pictures etc. There are rooms you can't even get into because they're so full of piles of stuff. It's especially hard to sort this mess out because my partner is basically doing all the work himself as my disability prevents me from doing much more than sit in bed most days. He's exhausted and working so hard, yet seeming to be getting nowhere fast. My problem is I'm always bumping myself on boxes and stuff, when trying to get about the house and when I wake up to a big mess, I just get so depressed. It's a house, but it's not a home yet and I just feel so unsettled, especially as I can't leave the house much. I feel trapped, even though it's just what I wanted - peace and quiet and my own space. It just doesn't feel like ours yet. We need Kim and Aggie from "How Clean is Your House?" or someone like that to help us! We're getting buried at the moment!
@sylvia13 (1851)
• Nelson Bay, Australia
I have moved many times too, and most of them to other countries! I must admit though that it always takes a long time till one feels "at home" once again. But once the cardboard boxes and newspapers disappear and your pictures are on the walls and your ornaments are all out and in place, then you will start to feel that it was all worth it! Just think, you are in a house of your own now! Just sit down, prepare yourself a cup of tea or your favourite drink and forget about the mess all around for a moment, as soon it will be completely different. Maybe you could take a picture of the mess, as that will soon change and you won't be able to remember how it was at the beginning!
I think the ornaments and pictures on the wall will help it to feel less like a shoebox! That's a really helpful and positive post. Thank you very much! *tries to be patient*!
@chrislotz (8203)
I definitly know how you feel. First I moved from Winnipeg to Calgary, 7 years ago and it took me no time at all to get settled in at first because the company that my husband got transferred with set us up in a furnished apratment for 8 months so I didn't have to bring everything with me, but then after the eight months we had to get our own apartment and had to go back to Winnipeg to get everything. Then it took about 2 months before I got everything unpacked and setled. After 5 years my husband got transferrred back o Winnipeg so again we moved and it took awhile to settle in. After 1 1/2 yers living in Winnipeg I decided to move back to Calgary, which was 3 months ago, and I am finially settled in. So I know how you feel about moving and yes it takes awhile to get settled.
I think it wouldn't be so bad if I weren't dreading the visit from my mother to view the new house. She's coming tomorrow and she's going to be brutal. She always makes me feel bad about this stuff, where anyone else would be lenient and sympathetic. It's a mother's prerogative I suppose! Thanks for your post!
cheer upyou are not alone. we moved five years ago from a much larger apt with a garage to a one not as big with no garage. so right now we have twenty boxes in our living room with no place to put them. mostly paper,records and books. however the big thing for us was getting our bedrooms unpacked. if you are handicapped you can do as I do, I am handicapped too, sit down and unpack and put things away so You are not trapped in your bedroom with all those boxes. My son worked forty to forty six hours a week so was not able to get everything done at once, so I did what I could and took a positive attitude towards the rest. getout of the house some way so you can refresh yourself and remember it will allget done eventually. laugh at things, get a sense of humor going.
I think getting out of the house as much as possible is really important. I definitely feel better. It's difficult because I'm not able to leave the house alone as I have too many problems with my disability. My partner just got a job, which is fantastic, but it means that during the week I'll be home alone and not really able to get out. I think I'll have to pray for good weather so I can sit in the garden!
@sedel1027 (17852)
We moved June 1st and we still have a lot of boxes. 80% of things have been put away, but we have boxes of books and other items we use that we just do not have storage for. If we get it done by the end of July I will be happy. I have moved places and not unboxed items for the entire time we lived there.
Oh thank you! I'm so glad to hear it's not just us!
@cher913 (25884)
can you sit and unpack boxes? i am disabled and we are packing to move, so i will be in the same boat as you; but that is what i will be doing too - sitting and packing (as i cannot stand for any length of time due to my knees).
Packing wasn't so bad as I could sit and wrap ornaments or put things in boxes, but unpacking means putting things away, which means moving about and it's really difficult! It sounds like you have similar problems to me. It's my knees that are the worst with my fibromyalgia. I wish you lots of luck in your move and I hope it goes smoothly for you.