Of Course I'm Drunk! I'm Going To Prison Tomorrow!

By JJ
@myklj999 (62576)
Olney, Illinois
It's extremely loud at my neighbor's tonight. About 7-8 really drunk obnoxious people in the back yard, loud music blasting, cursing and screaming...reminds me of myself when I was younger. Was I really that bad? I think I understand now why most of my neighbors really didn't enjoy living next to me back then. Because honestly, I was; which is the only reason I'm not calling the law. Well, that and the fact that the guy actually is going to prison for a couple years tomorrow. (I could always help him get an early start.) So what about you? Have you ever had a loud obnoxious group of people next door and then decided, instead of calling the police, just to let them have the one night for whatever reason? Or did you just go ahead and call the cops?
@alindahaw (1219)
We did have some loud neighbors before and my reaction to them has always been varied. There are times when I simply don't care about the amount of racket that they make and there are times that they simple rub me the wrong way that I call the police to put and end to all that noise. They probably didn't like us much also because after a couple of months, they move out of the neighborhood. Well, all I can say is good riddance! Now that they are gone, we have some peace and quite.
@pyewacket (44032)
Even in my "wild" rebellious days (my woodstock years--aging hippie here) I wasn't noisy and never had loud parties...my neighbors though in the past were a different story..the people on the first floor have tamed down, but yikes they used to have parties going on until 5 in the morning almost every night. Then my ditzy neighbor over me..she too has quieted down..but years ago not so. I guess this was her way of "waking up"...instead of just drinking coffee and getting that caffeine fix, her way to wake up would be to put on her Strauss Waltzes or opera on..at 6 in the morning and LOUD. No never called the cops on either of them...but I would yell out the window in my nice polite ladylike fashion at the neighbors on the first floor (you believe that I have ocean front property in AZ) or bang up on the ceiling at the one upstairs over me.
Me, call the law... no way! I'd just go join 'em! I'm not too old for the all night parties. If this dude is facing jail time, let him have a good time while he can. Take him a few "soap on the ropes" and have a good time with him!
@sid556 (30986)
Yes..many nights are like that and especially in the summer. I have never called the cops. I'd only call if someone were getting hurt or if they were damaging property.
@loujac3 (1188)
Patience really is a virtue! I know how hard it is to tolerate noisy neighbors and not follow the impulse to call in a complaint. It sounds as if you have really matured and you have gained lots of understanding and patience. Good job!
I have never called the cops on my neighbors. I would feel bad, I guess ,and wouldn't want to make enemies with my neighbors. Now I would maybe go over and tell them to keep it down if they were being too obnoxious.
I'd let the guy be drunk and a little rowdy the night befroe having ot go to prison, actually. What the heck. It's going to be a while before he can "play" again? As long as it isn't evry night and alll the time and there's a reason..I would be "cool." sometimes a kid graduatesa nd the family throws a bash, etc..as long as you know when and why..better to just do something alse and let them enjoy while they can.
@xsquid (111)
well if the reason is he's going to jail then... I'll let it be. coz you know life in prison is not good, he'll have a hard time there. So just have a heart, let the man enjoy for a day. By the way, why caused him to be prisoned ?? what did the guy do?
@wisconsin26 (3859)
No I am not that type of person to call the police on someone but if they were underage yes.. I would however go over and ask them to turn down the music if it was really late at night.. So it wouldn't wake the neighborhood up.. However if things did get totally out of hand than I think something needed to be done for sure.. But asking them nicely and hopes they are ok with it would be the way to go first but after wards if they start getting in my face than yes I wouldn't have a choice...
I don't call the cops because I too was young and stupid once and use to party a lot. As long as they are not causing any trouble, I just let them go. But I do have one neighbor that will call the cops on anyone if their muffler on their car is too loud. He called the cops on my son's friend because the music in his car was too loud. When the cops arrived, they even said it wasn't and didn't do anything about it. Neighbors like that are a pain.
@TessWhite (3147)
If its a night that I don't have to get up early the next day then yea I'll let them party. But if I have to be up, or I'm too tired and need sleep I'll call and make a complaint. I'm just glad my neighbors who were the most problems moved a month or so ago. The peace and quiet has been wonderful.
@jennifer611 (2514)
Thank God I don't have to deal with that anymore, lol. We moved to a rather nice and quiet neighborhood, we have a park across the street with a pool and we have neighbors to both sides of us that are pretty quiet. one of the houses right next door is vacant and I hear their about to rent it to college kids so hopefully the nice and quiet doesn't end! we do have gang activity in our city (a lot of it) but this little area has been fine. if anyone is at the park at an hour that they shouldn't be, you always see the police sneaking in on them because one of the neighbors has called already, I don't ever have to call the police really because chances are someone already is. the police do a nice job of patrolling this area and keeping it decent for us and if large crowds of young people are hanging out in the park they stop that right away. we only have one house on the block where there are some people who do party but they don't get too terribly loud, and if they do I'm sure the other neighbors will snitch, lol. a few years back we were living at a different place and I couldn't stand it. I think everyone on that block was a partier. didn't matter what day it was, weekdays or whatever but it was just worse on weekends. we'd have the partiers up and down the street and then on the corner we had the little gang hang out, they'd be up and down the street all night. I hated it. I have 3 kids and wouldn't dare let them out to play after a certain time. and when they were out they couldn't leave the yard, and I or my husband would be out there with them. and they weren't allowed to play in the front yard, only the side yard or in the back. it was crazy. like were all prisoners in our own home, so again, thank GOD I don't have to deal with that anymore. I love where I live. I haven't had a problem with anyone and don't have to deal with dumb kids who think they rule the world.
@tessah (6620)
used to have this problem constantly when i lived at the beach. the "maintainence" guy who lived directly under me was a drunk and it was a nonstop endless party every single frigen day and night for the 4 years i lived there. he got his place rent free for sposedly keeping up the apts (which he didnt do) so there wasnt any need for him to have an actual job, plus he got some sort of check from the government for being an ex convict ..;rolls eyes;.. i never called the police, but there were times i DID call his boss (the owner) in the middle of the night dragging him out of bed at 2am to make a 1 and half hour drive to the apts to get them to stfu.. was hoping hed get fired, but that never happened.. far as i know hes still the manager/maintainence guy for the place. very glad i dont live there anymore.
I just let them party! we were all that age once. If it was to many nights in a row And I didn't get any sleep I would go over there and talk to them. Im not big on calling the law. When I can go over there myself and talk to them. I think you are right the guy should have a good time before he goes to the big house. No more fun and games for him.
@palonghorn (5483)
I have had some rowdy neighbors, but normally I just let it go. However, had it gone on til the very wee hours of the morning, then I probably would have complained, but for the most part I just ignored them as much as I could. I can put up with that much more that I can screaming children and their mother screaming at them with f**k as every other word (my neighbors behind me now). I like being able to sit outside and enjoy the birds, squirrels, etc that come in my yard, that is until the peaceful sounds are broken by the screaming children!
@xJonox (222)
It's not the fact of noise... It's only noise! It's when you're property and your house starts to get destroyed - Still then I wouldn't call the police, I'd just sort it out myself in my own little way haha =) I see your point though, giving the guy one last bit of freedom for a while before he's in a box... But nahh, I'm not one for calling the cops because a stereo is playing to loud and people are shouting... It will be over eventually - They all just pass out..
@salonga (27814)
Loud obnoxious neighbors are all around my home but the good thing is that they only do it occasionally but there were times the occasions were too often that if my husband could not control me, I could have had several encounters with them. These "good" neighbors of mine would at times take turns in having their way each night. Drunkards singing, laughing and yelling at the top of their voice as if they own the world. They oftentimes spoil my sleep and I am really fed up with them. But what can I do but just close all our windows and doors to minimize their troublesome noise. It's just in the neighborhood and calling a police to stop them will certainly ruin my relationship with them (so said my husband). So the poor I am had no choice but ignore and let them do their thing till they all die in their vices. How I wish that would come very soon! (ha!ha!ha!)
@James72 (26829)
Unless bricks came flying over my fence smashing my windows; or there was a mass fight or something extreme like that it is unlikely that I would call the police. One night is just one night; and as much as I would probably be frustrated and angry about it at the time I would get over it if it was a one-off! If it were to happen night after night though? Yeah, I would probably reach a breaking point at some stage and would eventually end up complaining to the police if it was a continuous thing. Having my children with me may influence my decision a little also.
myklj999 we had some neighbors that were into loud noisy parties but when we knew the parents were goneand the kids had made a party which was crashed by a lot of older kids we did call the cops as they were actually thrashing our neighors house, and we liked these people,usually they were very quiet but this time there must have been two hundred older kids there and the two neighbor kids were outof their league and could not control these almost a dult older teens. it took four police cars and a paddywagon to hall the delinquent older kids off to jail.
@kenzie45230 (3560)
I guess it depends - on whether or not it's a nightly happening, on how loud and rowdy they get, on how many people are partying. The last few months that I lived in an apartment complex in Texas, the cops where there every night because some group was partying too loudly. It really isn't fair - on a week night - to get so loud that it wakens the neighbors who have to work. Or it wakens their dogs who wake the owners. In one of those cases, it ended up being a good thing that someone called the cops because when they started taking people out of the apartment, there were about 6 girls ranging in age from about 12 to 15. Not good.