This is a political topic, about McCain, and Palin

First off, let me say, I am an Independant, and am still an undecided voter. My question is, for those of you who are strictly republican, and strictly conservative or undecided voters. Do you think all this media about Palin is having a negative effect on your views in regards to who you will vote for? If yes why? For me, I like her. I consider myself to be both conservative, and liberal, so I dont see why her daughter being pregnant, unmarried, and under age would have anything to do with whether or not she can be president. If anything it proves to me she is a normal, working mother, who has to deal with every day life stressors, issues in life, parenting decisions, etc. Her husband had a DUI, some 20 years ago, who cares. How does that reflect anything, most of us probably had a DUI 20 years ago. It does not reflect on her abilities. The issues I have with her, are far deeper than all this other Sh**. Like the fact she is strictly pro life, with no exceptions to pro choice believers. The fact that she is a gun lover, certainly does not help her in my dept either. Those two facts aside, I like her. So what says you?
@mehale (2200)
I actually think she was a good choice for McCain's VP slot. I still don't know what to believe or who to vote for. I will continue to listen to both sides and try to figure out who I think will be the best choice. I really am not sure that I trust either of them!
President Obama will reign supreme no matter which way you vote: you might as well join us now! Vote President Obama 2008!
I agree, both sides have things I like and dont like. You just have to continue to watch and listen, and make the best choice for you.
@jmhall (143)
I like McCain and always have. He is pretty straight forward in his oppinions and I like the way he handels himself with the press. I like alot of his views on policy and would have liked to have seen him as the Repulican candidate the last time he tried. He choice in a running mate will have little to do with my voting this fall it is the presidential candidates that affect my decision the most. As for all the media attention on Palin's private life and family it has little if no affect on my oppinion. Being up front about everything is the best way to get me to like you. I do not have a problem with her daughter being pg at 17 and unmarried I am just glad that it's not my daughter. I do not see where her husband having a dui has anything to do with anything either. Now if he had gotten while she was in office and she did something to get him off then that would be a story and something I would want to know about. If she is someone that would abuse the power she is given then there is an issue. Now her views are important, and I support several of them, but the pres candidate is more important to me. That is the person that will have the power, but if they do not have the backing of congress nothing is going to change regardless, because one person is not going to change anything. It is going to take more than that.
I totally agree with your very last sentence. What good is to to have a republican president, if the congress is lead by democrats. Will anything ever get done, I dont think so.
@walijo2008 (4646)
At first I didn't know what to think of her, but after hearing her speech at the convention tonight on tv, it changed my mind about her. I think she did an excellent job, and she proved that she's able to handle whatever comes her way, and that she's able to stand on her feet. It doesn't matter whats happened in her life, or her family life, we all have a past too. I think she's a normal, working mother too. I don't see any issues I have with her so far...Have a good day
Thank you, what about foreign policy though, what is her expertise there?
@irishidid (8716)
I am pro choice but I believe there is more at stake than to pick one argument not to vote for someone. Because of this I'm looking at the big picture of what is right for the country. The idea of her being a mother, wife and the mother of a disabled child appeals to me. I am the mother of a disabled child myself and we desperately need a voice in America.
It certainly makes her more humane, in the eyes of alot of voters.
I will start off by saying that I am a strict Democrat, and I have already chosen to vote the Obama/Biden ticket in December. However, I do see your point here Melissa, and I agree. Not voting the McCain/Palin ticket simply because her daughter is pregnant, or her EX-husband's DUI (what does that have to do with her anyway???) is no better than those who wanted Bill Clinton impeached because of his infidelities. Yes, these are things that are bad, but these are personal issues that only the family has to deal with, and has no impact on what she does in office, nor her ability to rule. There are some things that do irk me about her, and would have changed my mind about voting that ticket had I been thinking about it. First, I have heard somewhere that she deserted her post as Governor of Alaska, I can't get behind anyone that deserts a post, especially when you could have the fate of the nation in your hands. Second, even though her ex-husband was abusive, she is about to be part of a lawsuit pertaining to her brother-in-law. She tried to have one of her reportees fire him after her divorce. When the reportee didn't (I don't know the title of the person that this is pertaining to) she fired him. Abuse of power. This is who we want to be first in line for control of the nukes button? These are my two major gripes about her, and learing about her being pro-life doesn't make things better. But even this is of no matter to me. Why? Because I can't see voting for another four years of this mess that we are going through now!!!
First I would like to say, I dont think they tried to impeach clinton because of his infidelities, it was because he lied under oath, perjured himself, that is why. As for the lawsuit deal with Palin, honestly I think anyone who has that kind of power will take advantage of it at one time or another. It is human nature, if given the oppurtunity to do so. Now maybe she has rethought or even made due for that mistake. We all make them, we are after all human.
I hope that she has atoned for that wrong she made as well, however, I wouldn't want to test that on the entire country. That is too big of a test subject so to speak. Yes, as humans we all make mistakes, some of us learn from them and correct ourselves, some continue to make the same mistakes. I cannot let my vote rest on hope that a person can do right, when given a fraction of the power that she would have, she has already done wrong.
Finally, another person that agrees with me! I am glad that you recognize the almighty Obama for what he is: the next ruler of America! Those racist Republicans just want to enslave us, but we will redistribute the wealth and bring equality to all Americans! Kaiser Obama will reign supreme, and the world will be better place because of it. Re-elect President Obama in 2012!
@tiff1984 (385)
I like Sarah Palin. I think all this talk about her daughter and her husbands DUI 20 years ago is ridiculous and has nothing to do with her qualifications to be vice president. At the RNC last night, I noticed a lot of the media focusing on things that really shouldn't matter. I consider myself a strict Republican, and think that John McCain chose Palin because she is a lot like him. They both fight for what they think is right no matter who the fight is against including their own party. I like the fact that she stood up to corruption in her own party as governor of Alaska.
She is a fighter, and she does seem to stand up for what she believes in. I think she is a good match for McCain. The only thing I am unsure of is her foreign policy. Does she have any experience in that area. McCain is not a spring chicken, what if something happened to him, could she handle the foreign policy issues that this country faces every day?
@Teyjattt (126)
I wouldn't say I'm a strict Republican, but I do say I'm pretty conservative. I'm pro-choice, not pro-abortion. In short, I think abortion is wrong, but it's not my place, or the governments to ban it. I do think at some point it should be stopped, partial birth abortions being one of them. I don't have a problem with her being pro-life, mainly because there are many that are so pro-choice they want to allow abortions at any time. I think/hope/pray that the two extremes will have to compromise and can agree on something in the middle (pretty much where I see myself). There are other things about Palin that I really like, specifically the way she has fought against corruption in her state even against her own party, and the way she went after the big oil companies and taxed them on their windfall profits. There's a reason she's around 80% approval rating in Alaska. That's the kind of person we need in Washington. All the attention Palin's family is getting I think will help the McCain/Palin ticket as it only show me how normal of a family they are.
very well said, and I agree with everything you said.