What Does A Person Do?

By JJ
@myklj999 (34562)
Olney, Illinois
Got a problem; a person just posted a plea for money on one of my discussions, including their paypal/moneybooker account ID and all, which is strictly against the rules here. I got ready to report them; they are saying that their father is suffering kidney failure and needs a transplant and are requesting donations; and I thought "what if it's real? What if someone is really dying? What if, in my desire to play by the rules, I helped to kill this person?" Now, I know in all fairness it probably is a scam...but what if? What would you do?
@Laura84 (191)
I would think it was a scam. Im sorry but if my father needed a transplant I would not have time to post stuff on the internet. I would be by his side. I'd we wary of anyone who asked for money from complete strangers.
@Ravenladyj (22936)
[i]What if someone is really dying? What if, in my desire to play by the rules, I helped to kill this person?" Now, I know in all fairness it probably is a scam...but what if? [/i] Okay so "what if" What if everyone in here was in need of money for one dire reason or another....should we ALL ask the other members for their hard earned cash even though we dont know them and really have no right.....Seriously, I don't mean to sound cold or harsh but the REALITY is just that...its a cold harsh reality that begging to complete strangers anywhere let alone online is a shady shifty thing to do and EVEN IF its true..why come to us? There are PLENTY of OTHER more realistic and proper ways to get the help one needs IMO..
@landaloo (57)
I would still report them. There are better way of raising money. Not only that if they were serious wouldn't they start their own discussion. Why post on your discussion. Maybe it is because they are just a little bit under the radar that way.
@sconibear (8010)
man.....i get those in my email spam folder all the time. looks like the con artists are starting to make house calls now.
@myklj999 (34562)
• Olney, Illinois
I know...I just don't know what made me decide not to report it...
Instead of just reporting them, I would insist on telling them other ways they could make money. Explain to them that you are reporting them because this is against the mylot rules, but tell them that you are sorry to hear about his/her circumstances. There are just way to many scam artists but in the case that it is a legit plea for help, it would be best to help them by offering suggestions before just cold banning them.
Good day... I would let it go.. Why? because in weighing the situation life values more than posting rules and policy even here in mylot. I mean what if it is true, that a person's father really needs help, would we deny him the right to ask for it here? I mean would it really hurt mylot and us if that post should stay even for a little, out of respect for life? Would it be more valuable in risking to report a "allege" scam than giving a chance to a person that might really be in need of help?I would vouch for the latter. If a member should help then it's also fair to check the validity of the request before donating, like the patient's name, hospital and such but as of now let them ask, that's my opinion.
I looked at the profile of the person you mentioned, too. That is about the only thing he has posted, too. I wouldn't know what to do either. Maybe just sit on it for a day? That is a hard one and maybe mylot admins might find it out somehow.
I don't think you should feal bad, you are not helping to kill anyone! My daughter had a kidney transplant when she was 1 1/2 years old. We did fundraising to help offset some of the costs. But because kidney failure is usually considered a handicap; she qualified for Medicare and Medicaid. So the fundraising helped pay for my staying in a motel across from the hospital for over 5 months the first time and 2 the second. It helped with meds, bills, etc. but NOT the surgery. This person is most likely scamming people and most definitely should be reported. It burns me up when people use transplants as a way to get money from people dishonestly since I went through this with my daughter. There are organizations out there that help with fundraising too. We used COTA - Children's Organ Transplant Assoc. Please report this person. Oh, and by the way, I love this part - My daughter is now 9 years old and doing wonderful! She is amazing!
@myklj999 (34562)
• Olney, Illinois
Now that is a story that just made my day. Thank you!
No, thank you! It isn't often I get told I "made someone's day". Now you've made mine!
Thank you! She is doing fabulous. Unless you knew us during those first couple of years, you would never know she was so sick. She is my hero, truly. I didn't mean to turn this discussion into my story but I do have to say, it is a lot more positive than the person scamming people. Also, thank you for voting me best response. I can't believe how happy that made me! My day really has been made.
I would report it no matter what. On the one hand, if it is a scam, the response has no business here. Other people may fall for it before its deleted, and then they will be out of money they could have used for something else. On the other hand, if it isn't a scam, I would report it just because this person has unwittingly exposed their information to millions of scam artists, and the plea could do them more harm than good. So in either case, I would report this individual. Scam or not, there is a reason why this type of post isn't allowed. The rules here need to apply to everyone, no matter what their case. If they want to do this, they can go around to their friends on their list and ask each individually.
@Ravenladyj (22936)
On the other hand, if it isn't a scam, I would report it just because this person has unwittingly exposed their information to millions of scam artists, and the plea could do them more harm than good Yea thats a VERY VERY good point!! I say definately report it for both those reasons..
@Chevee (5914)
A scam or someone that is very slow. A very special person. Or think we are very slow people. If you need donation there are other legitimate ways of doing it. Here we have funds set up at banks or it is posted in the local newspaper. Sometime friends will have a fund raising example selling plates etc. As for asking over the internet I don't think so. I would not contribute to that at all.
@walkthetalk (1307)
Well, I'd say I might report them. Although I never now how I am gonna fill at a certain time. I might turn him in today, and not believe him. Yesterday I may have felt completely different, and believed him. I'm not sure myLot is the place to get help. Rules or no rules. I don't think you should ask all of myLot. Maybe just your friend list or something.
In such circumstances every body is not so intelligent to raise own discussion to call for the persons to help in emergency. If he has raised some thing against the rules at my lot he will be caught by my lot itself. If you have not reported to my lot of this no curse.
@Munchkin547 (2778)
maybe your getting soft!!? i'm not sure if i would report it as i tend to leave people to it, they're not doing me any harm, but on the other hand like someone else said they could be harming themselves by giving this info out if it's genuine! if it's not they're dispicable and not worth your effort! did you respond to it at all and ask any questions? xxx
@myklj999 (34562)
• Olney, Illinois
I went and looked at their profile and just couldn't decide; it isn't really like myself to be that way, I'm usually pretty heartless and cynical about that type of thing...
haha like i said you're going soft!! xxx
I don't know, I can't think...
@myklj999 (34562)
• Olney, Illinois
@tessah (6621)
id do a bit of research not only into the person themselves.. but into this "alleged" dying father. if it turns out theyre lying.. whichd be thoroughly despicable.. report them.
@tessah (6621)
*throws yer sexxay a55 into the tavern* come talk to meeeeeee
Wow, that's bad. I don't know what I would do, maybe I just let them be. I don't want to report someone who really in need, but then as you said, it could be a scam. I hope it is a scam though. Happy mylotting and have a nice day!!
@irishmist (3819)
Well if it were true, I would feel really bad for the person, but I can't afford to give people I don't know money. There are other ways they can raise money, like fund raisers or bake sales etc.
@roanne05 (1291)
• Oman
for me,i would just ignore it..it might be true, it might be a scam...but either way...the consience still prevails and also at the end of it all..for sure that person will one way or another if it is a scam...
@magna86 (1787)
well i don think if i was in your position i would have believed that person!! but to make sure if that person is lying or saying the truth you could tell that person to contact you personally through a telephone or something like that!! in that way you can find out what is in that persons mind!!
@pumpkinjam (6935)
I would assume it was a scam because it probably is. I would, just in case it was true, help the person find a way of getting emergency medical treatment for his father if it were possible. I would not actually be able to help financially anyway so I would have no reason to feel bad if it were true and I didn't help. However, if someone was in a position to help and actually wanted to them I would suggest that they ask for details and, perhaps, help in the way I mentioned and, if possible, even helping to organise the transplant so that it would be possible to see that it the donation is going where it is supposed to go. However, in all likelihood, it is probably a scam.