Incest Is Best-Or Something Like That...

By JJ
@myklj999 (49412)
Another Religious Discussion by the Esteemed Michael Joseph Ratcliffe (at which point everyone dashes for cover) I have never claimed to understand much about the Bible; I don't know if it's just too many "thee's" and "thou's" and "begats" or what, but I know I have had things put into perspective here by some people in words that I actually understand. So: Today's question; I got the Adam and Eve and Cain and Abel part; but where did the wives of Cain and Abel come from? Did I just miss that part, or is that one of the missing sections of the Bible? I don't recall any mention of anyone else being created, but I'm assuming there was. Because if they had to wait for their sisters (assuming they had any) to grow up...but let's not go there. So did God create a whole other group of people and just forgot to tell us, or what's up here? I'm really curious about this...
@irishidid (8712)
Somewhere in my house there's a bible. I'm too lazy to look for it. However if someone cares to check. Is it clear that Cain and Abel were the first son or was there possibly older children that Adam and Eve had? If they weren't significant they might not be mentioned but it doesn't mean they couldn't have existed. Just a theory.
@flowerchilde (12533)
Hi, Mkklj.. the ban on incest was added as the gene lines narrowed.. when it started out, Adam and Eve had all possibilities in their genes (human that is).. it's only as separation of genes occurred that it became dangerous.. also Adam and Eve lived for 1000 years or more.. as the Life force diminished it became less but even Noah lived 900 or so years.. There's no dates given for the lives of Cain and Abel, some have figured that by time a few hundred years there was somewhere around 25,000 people alive.. {Most assume there was other people, and the 'adamic' race was some sort of superior race, but logic tells us this can't be as that leads to a real can of worms.. - oh, I just noticed your name.. I knew it was Michael Joseph, because I have a brother with that name.. later!
@myklj999 (49412)
All these long lives in Biblical times are something to consider. Myself, I couldn't handle living a life that long with the pressures of the world today involved...it'd drive me completely nuts (instead of just partially like I am now.)
..being a bit nutz and befuddled (that would be me) is a definite aid in life as we know it..
oops, forgot my smile ...have a good day, much peace..
Oh Good. I'm glad I'm not the only one around here who has wondered about this. Seems like I missed out, too. Several years ago, I asked a person who went to church where Cain and Abel's wives came from. I even asked if Adam and Eve had more children. He told me he would tell me all that later on. I never did find out. It's like there's a fast forward to the story and you have to figure out what happened in between times. Maybe God did create "a whole other group of people" and it wasn't documented. We'll have to do some research on this, won't we? Then we won't be wondering any longer.
@myklj999 (49412)
I keep thinking I read something about they married women "from over the hills and far away" or "over the river and through the woods" or "long ago in a galaxy far, far away..."
That is soooo funny! Well, maybe God did create others! Did they go to Grandmothers house, too?
Maybe incest was legal before. but we are almost 6 billion now. there's no need for that.
@myklj999 (49412)
You evidently didn't read the whole discussion or you missed the point; where did the wives of Cain and Abel come from?
@cyntrow (8524)
Lillith was the first wife of Adam. The bible seems to reject this, although Genesis 1:27 does make it somewhat clear(as clear as the Bible can be) that there was another female creation prior to Eve. When Lilith left the Garden, Because she didn't want to be Adam's property and cain killed abel and was marked, cain could have hooked up with lilith, who would have been similar to a step mother and had children We could also look to science and see that, although acient man shared some charactoristics with the "caveman" they may have, in fact been different species, DNA speaking. I'm not learned as to the ancient peoples. Neanderthal is the only one I can name, I think, but I will use this discussion for more research. Thanks a bunch, mykl.
@zhuuraan (961)
Lol I am actually enjoying reading this discussion all the way through. Lots of intersting and funny comments here. I love it! :D
Hi myklj999, Well that is the whole mystery about Caine and Able, when I was young coming from a catholic up bringing,I was always asking questions about the bible and one day I told the priest that I figured something out, I told him Caine and Able went away and married an ape, boy did I get a wacking of a life time and that is why I went away from that religion when I could. Tamara
@zhuuraan (961)
Rofl this is great! Lol you've given me a good laugh! OMG hahaha. Well, I suppose it's a theory that is somewhere in between religion and science rofl.
@fasttalker (2796)
Bible - Studying the Bible
The Bible does not indicate that Able had a wife before he was murdered. A literal reading of the bible would indicate the wives of Cain and Seth were their sisters, the children or grandchildren of Adam and Eve, as all humans descended from them. All thier children are not named. The early chapters of the Bible are only interested in the wicked line of Cain and the righteous line of Seth down to Noah. God's laws regarding incest were given later in the time of Moses; they do not apply to this period. This should not seem strange. God also would not allow the execution of Cain for his murder of Able. Only in Genesis 9 did God authorize the execution of murderers. Hope this helps!
Good day.. Yes I also asked that question and if I'm not mistaken when cain killed abel he went off taking a sister with her and made her his wife and I did read that. My next question is what are their skin colors. Because basically if all men came from adam and eve we should basically have the same skin complexion? I'm not questioning the diversity I'm just curious how that came to be? How the world can have multi complexion when we supposed to come from the same parents?
@arkaf61 (10881)
That's funny I often wondered about that when I was growing up. It sounded a bit complicated to me how could two brothers procreate if there was nobody else? THey had to be hiding something from me! SInce I was never given a fair answer to the question at that time, I guess I lost interest in knowing, but your discussion reminded me of that time :)
That was my argument against christianity and the accuracy of the bible. It says that cain walked to another city and found a wife... yeah they left like a whole other world of creation to mention bravo bible thumpers =.= sheesh
@joyadalia (1408)
You will realize that the Bible said that Cain went out and married outside the tribe. Adam and Eve couldn't have produced that many children in a matter of few years and were left undocumented. The bible was written by the Jews and must have documented their history - not everyone else's.
@zhuuraan (961)
Nope from what I can tell, the beginning of the bible is full of incest, as is the goings on after Noah's Ark. I have found many many aspects of the bible to be thoroughly hypocritical, part of why I think it is bogus. Now I don't believe incest is right, but according to the bible we were all created through it. So how can a Christian say that something is wrong when their own holy book portrays the beginning of mankind being full of it? I believe that part in a way. If the first people on this planet were only two, then we must have been created through incest, but I still do not condone it. But I do not understand how the Christian god could call it wrong when his own children did it to populate the planet. The only way we could exist now without incest is if the sci-fi gurus are right and we were planted here by aliens. All the hypocricy of the christian faith though is precisely why I refuse to believe any of it. Love thy neighbor, yet so many choose to hate them. Man what has this world come to.
@suspenseful (40312)
Cain married his sister and possibly one of Adam's other sons married Abel's widow unless Abel was too young to have a wife. There was no other beings created on Earth, and at that time, all the descendants of the human race were in the loins of Adam. Until the time of Moses, men could marry their sisters or half sisters with no bad effect, but in a few hundred years it was too risky to marry your close relative since there was a risk of barrenness and other things. So God made the law that they could not marry close relatives because by then the gene pool had become severely limited. That is why even today when you marry someone who may come from the same background, you risk your children being born with nearsightedness, and other genetic problems because you may share the same ancestor of a few hundred years ago.
@LadyMarissa (12160)
I have mystified theologians for years with this question. The Bible does say that Cain & Abel married women from other lands. So I don't think it was incest. Since there is NO mention of other people being created by God, my question has always been...who were these women of other lands??? And what land was it??? Were they women from Earth or another planet??? NO religious leader has ever been able to answer this question & most don't even try. Maybe I can get the answer here today!!!
@worldwise1 (14887)
The Bible never said, myklj, that Adam and Eve were the only people created by God, just that they were the first, so I would assume that He created others as well. If you don't accept that theory you could assume that when God told them to "go forth and multiply," He meant just that.
It is implied, that the other people that were on Earth after Cain and Able, were Adam and Eve's other children, so yes, Cain have to have married his sister in order to reproduce other children. Sick, I know.