How many times a day would you feed your cat?

France
I just wonder what would be the best dose and how? How do you feed your cats,with what?
@crazydaisy (3899)
I always feed the cats in early morning which l gave them.their dry food to eat all day. then their wet food which is nine lives.and that is all. cd
• France
Interesting
@commanderxo (1494)
My cat, T.C. (stands for Theodore Calvin) wakes me up every morning, between 5:30am & 6:00am, by pouncing on my chest (he weighs about 30 pounds) and meows in my face, to get him and his other 5 friends, their breakfast. I split 2 cans of Friskies wet food (like fish) in half into 4 separate bowls, and a half a can each of Metra-cal protein reduced wet food in 2 other separate bowls. I also fill one other bowl full of Serior Nutrition Performatin dry crunchies for senior cats in the other. The Metra-cal protein reduced dry crunchie bits, plus the two bowls of wet food by the same is for two cats. The Friskies wet and the one large bowl of Performatin is for the other three. Yes, believe it or not...they do know who's bowl is for who! Lastly, I fill one bowl of dry Purina Pro-Plan bits for small dogs, in another. O.K. here goes...three cats eat the Friskies wet + the 1 large bowl of Performatin. Two cats will eat the Metra-cal wet and dry food. The dog eats her own dry food. For a special treat, I coat the dog's food in the fish oil that's left over from the Friskies tins. It helps make her coat healthy and shiny. The cats only get fed the wet food once a day, but will nibble several times a day on the dry. The dog only gets fed once a day as well. None of the cats are ever served human food, but the dog might get a treat once in a while from a piece of meat off the roast...and she only gets beef bones bones or rawhide strips to knarl on. That I think just about covers it. Whew! cdrxo
• France
Hehe, I'm sure your pets are very happy And it's funny, it's the first time I hear this saying wet food. In french, we would say boite (box) lol
@mcat19 (1357)
I have 4 cats. They only eat canned food. I get 12 oz cans and split a can between the four of them in the morning and in the evening. They don't get to eat all day a that will make them overweight. They have been trained to eat when they are fed and not to expect more. They used to eat dry food all day, but soon learned our new rules. I use high quality food, Wellness or Natural Balance, made with human quality ingredients and no junk. They are all very healthy. Good luck with your cats. Cats are wonderful companions.
• France
Yes, They are and I would buy the best for mine too
@sassybf (29)
There's no tried and true answer for every cat. It depends a lot on age and size. Your vet can help with ideas. I know the food I feed my cat has guidelines on it. The last cat I had ate 1 can of wet food (1/2 in the morning, 1/2 in the evening) and 1 cup of dry food throughout the day. But, my new cat only eats 1/2 a cup of dry food all day and hates the wet stuff. Some cats will eat everything you put down immediately, and if they spend most of the day alone, you might want to be careful about giving too much at once. I would start with the recommended amounts from your vet based on your cat's size, and make adjustments from there.
• France
I like the idea of an adapted dose in the morning and evening and also some dry in the middle of the day
Their meal time is like ours. They are breakfast, lunch and dinner. That means to say we feed three times a day for our cats. It's rice with fish and the cat food. I love China
@writersedge (22577)
Since I sell cat food for a living, my brand of cat food. I read the recommendations on the sides of the packages. I feed according to what the vet told me how much my cat should weigh. My cat should be 9 lbs in summer and no more than 11 in winter. So on the side of the package, it tells me about how much to feed, So x amount 2xs a day. But my cat has been killing mice right and left so I am feeding him that plus he's eating mice. So he is getting fat. So I switched to weight control food, fewer calories and more to rev his system, but only for 3 months and I reduced the amount I feed him.
@writersedge (22577)
I feed him dry food to keep his teeth strong.
• France
I should ask my vet
Generally, it's good for most cats to have some dry food available at all times, as most cats like to nibble. IN addition, many people give cats 2 meals a day of canned cat food. I don't feed canned as a regular thing. It is just for a treat for my cats. The veterinarians have always told me that dry food is much healthier for cats. It cleans their teeth, and it also helps them want to drink more water, which is healthier for their urinary tract. So I leave bowls of dry food out all day, and fresh water. Cat like their water really fresh, so I have to empty and put more water in several times a day. They also have a cat water fountain to drink from. I have 5 cats. So I usually end up adding more dry food twice each day. None of my cats have a weight problem. If you have a cat that likes to overeat, then you have to measure the food more carefully and sometimes put the food out in meals, removing it after he's had time to eat. But I just keep the bowls filled. Oh, cats also like their food fresh, so if I fill the bowl too deep, they will only eat the top layer. I think they don't like the rest because little pieces of the food drops in as they are crunching their food, and the other cats don't want to eat the slobbery bits. So, you should feed maybe 1/2 cup, to 3/4 cup of dry, and see how much your cat eats. As you watch her, you can adjust the amount you put out to where it is closer to the right amount. If you have just one cat, she will probably eat more than the top layer! For canned, again, it is NOT as healthy to eat all the time. So I'd only give a spoonful or two, once or twice a day -- or even just occasionally, so they don't get to want that so much they won't eat the dry.
• France
Thanx for the informations, I believe it's right to leave some dry food all day, especially for my little one, it's good for her to make her teeth
@cortjo73 (6500)
I have a feeder thing that fits maybe a pound or two of food in it and it just constantly has food in it so my cats can eat from it whenever they feel hungry. I have 3 cats and, it is fine for 2 of them because they eat little bits of it several times a day. But, one of my cats is a bit of an over-eater and she is not very active. So, my suggestion is to fill the bowl for you cat as he or she will likely eat from it several times a day. But, at first, pay attention. If you fill the bowl and he or she eats it all in one sitting, then try feeding him or her maybe a half a cup 2 or 3 times a day to keep him or her from stuffing themselves all in one sitting. That can only lead to a belly ache and a potential for vomiting.
• France
I see, She is now 1 year something you know, so I would give her one bag of wet food per day but I would take several time in the day to give her and I would add some dry food during the afternoon
@teamloud (91)
• New Zealand
There is a saying that dogs have owners and cats have staff! How true! Our 4 feline friends often cause great debate in this house as they moan or meoww for food at any given time of day, even if they have just been fed! MrsL®'s theory is feed them and they'll shut up...My theory is if they are gonna moan put them out! I am seriously considering putting MrsL® out with the cats at night, then I'll get some sleep! hehehe However scratchmarks on the side of the house would be unacceptable at this time so I guess I'd better not! hehehehe MrL®
• France
O
@Foxfire1875 (2011)
It depends on the cat as some will eat too much. My cat was fed about a third a tin twice a day and she had dried cat treats as well. She also got fish once a week as a change from the tinned cat food and would eat the whole fish. Always make sure that they have fresh water and it should be changed twice a day whether they drink or not. If your cat doesn't like water, then give them milk but dilute it with water as it is too rich for cats. A good rule of thumb is too give them less than you think they'll eat and if they eat it all maybe increase it but watch their weight.
• France
I agree, It's not good to feed them too much
it is hard to say ,it depends ,sometimes i only raise it three times ,that is when i eat ,i raise it also .but in many cases ,it shout at you many times in a day ,so i must raise it more than other times .my cat do not eat other food except meat ,if you have no meat ,it will angry with you .
@kun2349 (23381)
I dun have a cat, but i have seen stray cats being fed, and they are only fed once a day, during the night.. Though i'm not sure how many meals a cat needs everyday, but every night, there will be 2 different person feeding the same group of stray cats in under 2 hrs.. Meaning the cats will have 2 sepearate meals in just a difference of 2 hrs!?! Is that a bit too much for the cats?? As most of the time, when they are served their 2nd round, they dun really eat as much.. And i'm sure, they are not fed during the day too..
@myklj999 (49412)
Well, the last herd I had I used to just keep dry food available at all times. (I say "herd" because there were over a dozen). Of course, I was living on a farm, and the cats were fed on the back porch and just more or less came in to nibble for a bit and then would take off into the fields to do cat things or stretch out in the sun and relax or what have you. Now, the last city kitty I had, I spoiled her rotten with premium canned food, but she got fed half a can in the morning and half in the evening.