14-year-old Iowa girl abandoned under Nebraska law

By JJ
@myklj999 (34321)
Olney, Illinois
OMAHA, Neb. - A 14-year-old Iowa girl was abandoned Tuesday in Nebraska under its safe haven law, but the person who left her could face prosecution in the girl's home state, Nebraska health officials said. The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services said the girl is from Council Bluffs, Iowa, just across the Missouri River from Omaha. She was left at Creighton University Medical Center on Tuesday afternoon, and her case was reported to Iowa authorities. The girl is the 17th child overall and the first from another state to be abandoned since the law took effect in July. Many children left to date under the safe-haven law have been teenagers or preteens. The law mentions "child" without defining it, and as a result encompasses anyone up to age 19. Nine children abandoned last month were siblings abandoned by a father who said he was overwhelmed. (follow link for full story) http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081008/ap_on_re_us/safe_haven;_ylt=AtIVUPmNBpqLc3iZq3CnvHas0NUE This is insane. People are now just free to abandon their kids? I think the law on this needs to be rewritten and soon. Could you abandon your kids?
@ch88ss (2270)
I think the Safe Haven law is still good and is intended to proctect all children and good intention parents. If a parent is not readily and available to care for the child they should be allowed to drop them off somewhere, where they know the kids will be taken care of. It may sound horrible, but I rather see that they are taken into a shelter than on the streets or worse endure abuse because the parents don’t know what to do with them. This is better than hearing on the news that the kids been murdered, abused or on the streets. If the parents are being prosecuted then we will have more and more parents who cannot handle being a parent fearing prosecution and then abusing their child because they resent the child for many reasons. Or financial burden keeping them from raising the child. So many reasons. Infant or teen all should deserve a chance to live their life to the fullest. Yes it is sad that a teen has to live each day knowing that they were abandon but it is better that way than living each day in fear or hunger, or other unimaginable condition.
@ch88ss (2270)
oh and to answer you other question. I would not abandon my children. They are my everything. I
@fwidman (11515)
I cannot see abandoning my kids, no. There are times I've thought about wringing their necks, but I wouldn't leave them like that. Thankfully for me, the point is pretty mmot. All of my boys are long grown up and moved away and the newest child turns 18 next June. She will then be free to leave the nest if she desires but it won't be me leaving her somewhere. Those people are nuts in Nebraska!
@fwidman (11515)
That should say MOOT, not MMot. I need more coffee!
Hi myklj999, Another avatar, wheres baby? I just don't undestand ho peopl could abandon theur own child, if they can't afford to have children why have them in the first place? I feel for the children, the poor things, imagine been left by your own parents not wanted how sad. I can't have children and when I hear something like this it makes me so angry, these people don't deserve to be parents, how would they like it if their parents done that to them,maybe they did you knows? but then again they shpul know better. I am very angry Tamara
@cripfemme (7713)
This law was met to protect overwhelmed teens who abandoned newborns, rather than leaving them in buildings or otherwise. I support this, because of what it prevents. I don't support adults abandoning older children who they have obviously raised. I wonder if this has anything to do with the economic downturn? Not that that's an excuse!
There's another side to this: wouldn't the child be much better off away from whoever was low enough to abandon her? It couldn't have been a great life! For many years, I allowed runaways and throwaways to stay in my home until they got their lives straightened out. These days, that would be either against the law or highly questionable. People willing to help are not allowed to. No matter what the adults do or want to do, the kids are dumped on by society, just to make a similar cycle in their lives later on. We MUST return to the days of character education! In Florida, abandoning a child is illegal, and if found, the parents are prosecuted. Safe Haven, though, is only available in the first three days of a child's life! How's that for nuts?!
@belk89 (1103)
I dont know why there is a law that would let people abandon there own children. I feel sorry for every kids who have bad parents. I guess people like this dont have a heart at all. I could never even abandon my own child no matter how difficult life is. It is the parents responsibility to take care of them. I wish there is an ammendment of that law. I dont understand why a particular state would even make it legal.
@bmorehouse1 (1028)
Yes, it seems since they put the new law into effect, that all kinds of people are tired of handling their kids and just give them up. How would they feel if they were in their kids shoes? The law in Iowa states it is for infants I believe, so that is why the 14 yr old from Iowa was taken across the river to Omaha, so it would be legal. It is terrible! My kids are all grown now, but I could never have given them up, no matter how hard up we were. Its just too easy for these people. What is the world coming to?
If I had kids, I couldn't abandon them like that. I have 4 nieces and a nephew. I couldn't imagine my sisters leave them either.
@savypat (20245)
If I thought they would be better cared for I guess I could. But I would have to be really desprite to do so. During hard times many children are shipped away or abandoned. It's a sad, sad thing.
I guess those parents won't be getting any awards for their cowardness. I've been following this story when it first broke because I couldn't believe that people would use a law designed for children and add their teens to the list of abandonded children. The law needs to be defined not intepreted by lazy frickin parents who just want to rid themselves of their responsibility for a few hours of peace.
@CanadaGal (4304)
I can't imagine abandoning a child of mine like that. But it does make me wonder just how awful are the social programs out there, that this is something that is allowed? That doesn't make sense to me at all. Granted, I live in Canada, and we have some of the most incredible social programs available to anyone and everyone... counseling agencies, etc.
CPS should be invloved in cases like this, where the parents get trouble, (jail time) cps - Child Protective Services, any child whom is a teen or preteen doesnt deserve to be abandonded, what if the parent was to leave them there and they didnt know (obviously) and the child is picked up and raped, and abused no one would know.
@camomom (7535)
Thats rediculous. All parents get overwhelmed at times but, you are still responsible to take care of your kids, no matter how old they are. You should start a petition, I'd sign it and I live in a completely different state. Write letters to the government. I can't believe it's legal to just throw away your kids. I think, where i live we have a similar law but i'm pretty sure there is an age limit on it. I couldn't imagine just abandoning my babies at any age. I may get overwhelmed and want to get away at times but I wouldn't and couldn't do that. It's discusting to me to think a person would do that. Atleast they are being dropped off at safe places but still. Whats wrong with these people?!?!?!
@leenie50 (3992)
Hi mykl, Nothing like ruining a teenagers life by dumping them at a church. As if teens don't have enough problems!! As you said, this law has to be changed immediately. It needs to be very specific. What kind of lawmakers do we have? Don't answer that, I know the answer all too well. It's scary knowing the kind of people running this Country. Sometimes I want to cry but realize it would be a waste of tears. leenie
@fasttalker (2797)
It seems like they are allowing parents to just dispose of these children like they are something they get tired of or whatever but on the flip side of the coin, it is better for them to be in a safe place rather than on the streets. In a neighboring state to me they have this safe haven law but it only applies to infants from 1 year old and younger. You can take them to the Emergency Room and leave them and no questions are asked and no charges are filed. I guess from their standpoint it is better than finding them in a dumpster or worse! Here's what I think they should add to the law: The parent that leaves them should have to register and if they concieve another child be prosecuted! As a prior ER employee I saw the same parents about every 10 months to a year repeating the same thing. They came in squalling and all teary eyed and skipped out the door with no baby! Sickening! Your last question was Could I abandon my kids?...I have too much time & money invested now (24 & 18) so I guess not! LOL Have a good day!
@ch88ss (2270)
Hi Fasttalker. I agree with you on this topic. It is better to have them dropped off and safe than on the streets or other horrible living conditions. But you also have another very good and strong point. The parents should register and never be allowed to have another child again. This is a way to prevent repeat behaviors. Wow you mean the same parents would repeat history and have babies again that is outrageous. The safe Haven laws needs to issue consequences but I am afraid these consequences give the sicko teens and other parents a reason to dump their child in the dumpster. Our society is so screwed up that there is no sure way to stop the lunatics from producing offspring unless they pay serious time for their cruel behaviors.
Oh yes we seen the "repeat offenders" come in time and time again. The hospital even offered programs for them to go through that consisted of parenting classes and counseling but we had to end it because it had to be on a volunteer basis and we couldn't get any funding for it. And it wasn't just teens either. One lady was in her thirties and came there 3 times that I remember. You're right there are a lot of sickos out there!
@flowerchilde (12534)
I could not abandon my kids! I can't even imagine it.. There's another bible prophecy that is ringing true.. about a lack of natural affection.. wow, that is ever true in today's world!
...actually I can't even make my kids leave the nest.. (ages 27 and 25) but hey, I like it that way..
This law definitely needs to be re-written! My kids were difficult as teens, but I never once thought about dumping them off somewhere for someone else to deal with. And, what about the poor kids to whom this is being done? I can't imagine that is good for their self esteem. The man was overwhelmed? He should have thought about that before he became a father in the first place! I understand with the economy being the way it is that it is difficult to provide for their families, but there has to be a better way than this. No, I could never abandon my kids! The minute they were conceived, they became my responsibility, and I take that seriously. There were times I wondered why I was so anxious to have kids, but never a time I thought about dumping them like they were nothing. You know, we have to have a license to drive, we have to have a license to get married, and there are some places you even have to have a license to have a garage sale, but you can just go around having babies like it is no big deal then leave them like they don't even matter.
Sorry, I did space all that stuff so it didn't run together. Obviously something is wonky here.
@dawnald (84075)
• Shingle Springs, California
It would have to be to the point where my kids were starving and I absolutely could not feed them and there was a guarantee that they would be fed where they were going. But in general, no I sure couldn't.
@MsTickle (25050)
I guess we should be thankful that he abandoned them and didn't harm them or neglect them. If we are to go along with the pro-choicers he has rights and if he doesn't want to look after his kids he shouldn't have to Wrong is wrong. If you make a mistake and have kids then find you don't want them - suck it up and deal with the consequences. Whats wrong with people these days...are they truly so incredibly stupid and selfish?
@devilsangel (1817)
As flawed as this law is I'm glad they have it. I know it was probably set up for folks to drop off babies or infants but at least it's keeping other kids safe too. These people have the frame of mind to at least know they aren't fit to be parents and instead of doing something drastic and abuse the child or worse they bring them to a safe place and had them over to someone who can care for them. Like I said it's flawed but at least it's keeping kids safe.